Crossover Rule

npr284

Hi, Does anyone know the kuid of the first original junction crossing rule?

Not the newer "Diamond Crossover" rule, but an older one that came out a little after the time TRS2004 did.

From my extensive searching for this rule, get the impression it may no longer be on the DLS or has been replaced by the Diamond Crossover rule. This rule worked real well keeping the trains safe when two trains approached a crossing at the same time. The Diamond Crossover rule by "adamsloco" will only accomodate 8 crossings and you need to program the rule for each. The older rule didn't need any sort of additional input. It just worked for any number of crossings, but also realize it too could have been called the Diamond Crossover rule. It came out almost the same time as the "Junction Normal" rule did. I just can't remember that far back.

I really would appreciate any help with this. I'm trying to rebuild my layout that I lost when my computer crashed. Thank You very much.

Al

kuid2:44272:90001:2 is the only earlier version i can find 16/12/2003

search by name of asset or kuid only brings up the latest version. Search by author if known or by 44272:90001 only without the kuid2 and version number.

Last edited:
It appears that sadly Auran has removed the file from that location on the DLS. It in inaccessable from either CMp and CM2, or from the FTP link.

John

Hi John,
The original "diamond crossover rule" ceased to be effective after the signal operations were changed from waiting until the whole train had passed to waiting until the just the loco had passed, before the signal reverted to red.

DaveW :)

Hi John,
The original "diamond crossover rule" ceased to be effective after the signal operations were changed from waiting until the whole train had passed to waiting until the just the loco had passed, before the signal reverted to red.

That makes sense, Dave.

I've been thinking about this issue because I also have more than 8 level track crossings at various points in my long route so the updated rule doesn't work for me. I was wondering if a crossing and signal control system couldn't be built using invisible junctions and crossing links so that the signals turn green for the direction the train is proceeding and are turned to red for the crossing line.

I have also been thinking too that perhaps there could be a way to keep the junctions "off limits" to the AI so the drivers can't change the turnout levers themselves. In effect this would be a totally manually controlled interlocking like they are in real life.

John

Hi John,
If you do a forum search for posts DaveW, November 2006 there was a discusion about this problem.

Originally there was a picture of a diamond crossing but I cannot now find it.
Basically, a simple crossing with track NS and track EW, in each track place a junction using invisible track for a short open ended spur and invisible point lever, place a Track direction marker on each spur to prevent entry. Use a Junction controller or a Junction link. Link these two junctions so one is set mainline and the other is set spur. Then when NS is clear, EW is stop and visa verser, works in AI.

DaveW

Doesn't always work Dave. If Train A approaches the diamond via NS it throws both junctions as expected. The problem is that the junction facing EW is thown by the script, but is NOT controlled by Train A. If TrainB approaches EW it will also throw both junctions with potentially catastrophic consequences for Train A if it is still traversing the junction at NS.

I have a heap of diamonds and slips in the western approach to Belen yard on my Clovis Sub and nothing gives me the irrits like watching two trains cheerfully pass thru each other. I searched exhaustively for an easy, then not easy, then any fix at all, but I am still looking....

Andy :)

Last edited:
Hi Dermmy
Thats right, it was never 100% reliable, but in the absence of any simple alternative I use this system. The original diamond crossover rule was simple and elegant, I think this could be resurrected with a time delay built into the script to compensate for the consist length, (do you know any scripters?), although even this method would not cope with all operational circumstances. It would be preferable to trains derailing when the point switched as they past.

Thank You all for the info. I was able to find these 3 Diamond Crossover rules on the DLS.

Kuid:44272:900001
Kuid2:44272:90001:2
Kuid2:44272:90001:3

They all "look" like they work pretty much the same way, but haven't had the time to try them out. Best to all.
Al

That is three versions of the same rule Al, I would just be using the :3 version since presumably there were issues with the first two...

Back