Coupling trouble

aleksey79

Hi all!

Does anyone know any place with good tutorials? I am stuck with not being able to couple even on simple layout. I tried different options even tried to couple loco with with a rolling stock on the stand alone track. It keeps saying "Block is in use by another train - train may require manual assistance to turn around". What does that mean? Which train require assistance? The one i am trying to couple or the one i am trying to couple with? One thing though... if i try to couple them manually and then decouple ony after that I can couple them back from the same positions i have tried before.

I have one but it doesnt have much info about this particular case.
http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

Thanks for any help!

PS: i did a search and even though i found few similar problems i havent been able to find where the problem is

Which coupling driver command are you using. I have found that CoupleToVehicleNearSignal,<kuid:131986:209014> works best for me.

apparently you have a signal facing the switch on which the car is sitting.........

as such using the rule couple to car close tosignal... works also
may note I try to avoid placing signals at such a point and if so
the junction -switch should always be defaulted (green arrow) to the track where no train will set upon thus leaving a open track for the signal to give you clearance....

Dave =)

Hi
I was getting the same message yesterday on plain line. The "block is in use by another train" refers to the vehicles you are trying to couple to. It basically is saying "you are not allowed near that train" - not much use when trying to couple!

I've read a good description of how to run a train into a station and change locomotives. It didn't answer my question, so sadly I can't tell you where it is. It wasn't an 0catch.com tutorial. It did involve signals (which can be ground based shunting signals) at BOTH ends of the consist you are trying to couple to.

There is the "couple at track-mark rule", but it can be a devil of a job getting something to stop actually at the track-mark (you can set the radius to approx 1.0 in Surveyor). Keeping speeds down to 5mph helps - but be careful with large changes in speed limits. I find that going from 40mph (say) to 5mph can cause the train to slow to zero mph - it then "falls off the AI cliff" and "permanently forgets" what it was doing at the time!

The "Couple To" rule can help, but you have to know the "consist number" of the consist you are trying to couple to....

I solved my problem by using the "Run-round Train Rule" twice in succession....

Hope some of this helps

2006 vs 2009

On the same exact layout... I can couple 2006 with AI but not on 2009. What could they have changed to make it not work?

Thanks

rrbobby
The way signals work and are set up has altered.

45581fred
The couple at trackmark command does not require you to be on the TM. It reads the line from TM to nearest wagon

I am not sure how you are going about it but I am haveing no trouble with my 2009 routes coupling. I am using both the "couple to" and "couple at track mark" commands.

I am not sure how you are going about it but I am haveing no trouble with my 2009 routes coupling. I am using both the "couple to" and "couple at track mark" commands.

Lewiscc65, perhaps you could explain. I am attempting to use "couple @ trackmark" command, and cannot get it to do so

Problem I'm having is that the engine stops short of coupling with the cars. I instruct engine to go to trackmark, (say trackmark 1,), then I use "couple at track mark" and give it the name of "trackmark 1". The engine goes partway, then stops about 3 car lenghts away from the cars. Apparently it does not like the cars I'm trying to couple to being on the track! I've rotated and moved the trackmark and the engine still stops about 3 carlenghts away from the cars I'm attempting to couple.

What am I missing?

UPDATE: Figured it out! Was using "coupletoVfacing trackmark" improperly. I had been instructed to tell the driver to GO to that trackmark and THEN connect. UNNECESSARY! Simply tell driver to coupletoVfacing and give it the trackmark. Duhhh!!!

TBryson2

Last edited:
Back