Competance today of the Geforce 8800GTX and beyond.

LNERlover5

Average Grad
Hello. A while ago I built a simple PC for my younger brother to play graphically undemanding games such as Team Fortress 2. While the PC just about manages with a PNY Geforce 9400GT the experience is quite disappointing, with a budget in mind I would like to ask anyone who is still using GPU's from this time roughly of their current experience with undemanding titles.

The reason I'm looking at these former high end cards is that they are obtainable for quite low sums, having spotted a used Radeon HD 4870 for £35 recently.

The cards I would consider are anything from the Geforce 8800 series of cards to the lower 200 series, with the 9800 series being preferred due to a smaller manufacturing process than the 8800 series and being easier to obtain than the mid range 200 series. From AMD the 4000 series looks sound with at least a 4850 being ideal.

Other hardware such as the rest of the system are fine whilst a PSU to suit these cards will be no problem either.

If anyone owns and uses a card in this range I would love to hear of how well they stack up today :) Thank you.

I used to run 2010 with a 9600 GSO ( coupled with an intel E8500 core duo @3.16 ghz) and it coped quite well. It's 11 above the 9400 gt in toms hardware chart, similar in performance to the 8800 gs and gt 240.
If it's any good to you sort the poastage out and you can have it.

Back