Commuter train collides with car in Braintree no one is hurt...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
http://www.wsvn.com/story/27558508/commuter-rail-train-collides-with-car-in-braintree

A car was rear-ended while stopped at a crossing in Braintree, MA while waiting for the commuter train to pass, and was rear-ended by another driver in an SUV. No one was hurt and the driver, in the car that was pushed, and her daughter got out of the car in time before the commuter train collided with it.

Unfortunately the way headline reads, you think the railroad is at fault. In reality the SUV driver was cited, probably for inattentive driving.

The lady and her daughter were lucky.

John

They did report the facts.... But I agree with JCitron, the writer spun the story against the Rail lines.

"According to MBTA investigators" - Really? So the MA Highway Patrol just couldn't be bothered to send out their own investigators? The MBTA had to clean up their own "Rail Collision" mess?

And here, the primary reason I think for the spinning:
"John Mahr Highway was closed briefly for an investigation. There were moderate delays on the Kingston/Plymouth line due to the crash."
Its all fun and games until some Journalist Undergrad Flunkie has to spend an extra 20 minutes going around a collision because theres a train involved and its sitting across the major highway....

Seriously, the way most american's think about trains is ludacris.... They don't like the wait (Usually less then 10 minutes) at Crossings, they hate the horns (Most Americans hear these less then once a week), and they're big and smelly (Even though trains are more efficient then anything currently plying our streets pound for pound worth of Freight Movement). But people insist on treating them as the "Immovable obstacle" they've come to view them as..... Because Bike Trails are so much more economical, maybe we should all ride bikes down to our local Nike, Gap, Best Buy, or Apple Stores, or buy some E-Bike Attachments we can plug into the wall to charge..... Because none of those things work better because of trains.... /sigh....

Anyway, /end rant.

Falcus

They did report the facts.... But I agree with JCitron, the writer spun the story against the Rail lines.

"According to MBTA investigators" - Really? So the MA Highway Patrol just couldn't be bothered to send out their own investigators? The MBTA had to clean up their own "Rail Collision" mess?

And here, the primary reason I think for the spinning:
"John Mahr Highway was closed briefly for an investigation. There were moderate delays on the Kingston/Plymouth line due to the crash."
Its all fun and games until some Journalist Undergrad Flunkie has to spend an extra 20 minutes going around a collision because theres a train involved and its sitting across the major highway....

Seriously, the way most american's think about trains is ludacris.... They don't like the wait (Usually less then 10 minutes) at Crossings, they hate the horns (Most Americans hear these less then once a week), and they're big and smelly (Even though trains are more efficient then anything currently plying our streets pound for pound worth of Freight Movement). But people insist on treating them as the "Immovable obstacle" they've come to view them as..... Because Bike Trails are so much more economical, maybe we should all ride bikes down to our local Nike, Gap, Best Buy, or Apple Stores, or buy some E-Bike Attachments we can plug into the wall to charge..... Because none of those things work better because of trains.... /sigh....

Anyway, /end rant.

Falcus

Well said. And I agree as the local TV 7 News played this up as the MBTA's fault. The "T" owns the track so probably they'll repair the crossing if they have to, and the MassDOT works with the "T" and highways so I think it'll be one and the same in this case.

Gotta love the new generation... We refer to them as NIMBYs... They'd rather sit in traffic for hours instead of being more efficient taking the train. Oh, yeah. They can ride their bike trails instead. Like the Minuteman Trail in Lexington, which has some of the worst traffic in my area. I too hate bike trails...

Railfan Opinion: I live near a crossing, yard, and wye, with train horns going off about every hour. They sound so nice, and very comforting when you are falling asleep. I hope the people who moved in to the house right next to the crossing don't mind the horn, as the tracks are literally next to their backyard!

NIMBY Opinion: I live near a railroad, with train horns going off every minute! They sound loud and awful, and I can't sleep with them going off! I feel so sorry for the people who live near the train tracks with the noisy dirty electric trains going by every minute.

Last edited:
Many people I know still think the freight railroads are living on government subsidies, i.e. pre 1980's deregulation days, but then I'm in my mid 60's and most of my friends are old.
I have to agree, where I live, the pacific northwest, almost every accident story involving a train is spun to make the railroad"appear" to be at fault, never the driver or pedestrian.

How did a news story, about a SUV, that rear ended a stopped car, pushing the stopped car through the crossing gates, and knocking the car onto the tracks, were it got clipped by a oncoming train ... turn into this discussion.

Stupid twain ... Shoulda', woulda', coulda', stopped !

My bumper sticker: "This railfan vehicle stops at all RR crossings, and watch's trains".

Last edited:
How did a news story, about a SUV, that rear ended a stopped car, pushing the stopped car through the crossing gates, and knocking the car onto the tracks, were it got clipped by a oncoming train ... turn into this discussion.

Stupid twain ... Shoulda', woulda', coulda', stopped !

My bumper sticker: "This railfan vehicle stops at all RR crossings, and watch's trains".

Simple. New spin, just like on the forums! :)

NIMBYs...

I lived in Andover, MA which is one of the biggest NIMBY bastions in the US. The snobs moved in during the last 25 years I lived there. First they built huge mansions right next to the old farms, which were there for over 100 years, complained about the smell and then forced the town to change ordinances to get the farms closed. A few years later, they built big houses next to the railroad tracks. The B&M put in this mainline where it is today back in 1843, having moved the original 1821 line out of town back then. The NIMBYs complained about the noise and smell from the trains and got a horn blowing ordinance enacted. Much later some developer built $350,000-and up condominiums right next to the old Ballardvale railroad station. This was once a factory and small freight yard. If these people reach out their bedroom windows, they'll touch the trains that past. They're now complaining about trains running at night because it keeps them awake.

It gets better... The same NIMBYs that complained about the train horns also are the same ones that run crossings. The gates were down one day for quite some time, heck a freight was moving at its normal 40 mph if that speed as it crawled across Essex Street. I was there waiting at the crossing, actually ecstatic that there was a train coming for a change, when some snotty blonde lady pulled up behind me in her fancy car. She kept blowing the horn at me and gesturing me to move, which I didn't. Are you crazy? I motioned to her when I looked back. She then revved up her engine, squealed her tires and peeled around me only to get clipped by the freight that was coming by. She wasn't hurt but her fancy car surely was. Yes, I stayed and played witness to the event.

In Boston, down in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood, the Arborway Trolley line was closed in the 1980s due to a "cost cutting move". The wire remained in place and so did the tracks, which were even upgraded to new standards for the LRVs. Recently the MBTA was going to restore the line for service, but nope. They came out in throngs, even brought in their kindred from other towns nearby to fight the proposal in court. The "T" then gave up and gave them stinky busses instead.

Now for a couple more, I could go on...

Plaistow is the first town over the New Hampshire border on the B&M mainline to Portland Maine. At one point they had, commuter rail service to Boston and still have a big parking lot built for it. This past year the town wanted to bring back the commuter service to Plaistow, making it the terminus stop on the Haverhill line - the same one I use to go to Boston. The proposal was made and meetings were had. The NIMBYs showed up by the hundreds, way more than the actual population in Plaistow! They came in from snooty Atkinson and Hampstead, to complain that the MBTA might park their trains there overnight and the lights, noise, and smell might be bothersome. They threatened lawsuits and state intervention should this go through, so the town gave up. Instead, our stops here in Haverhill are more crowded since these people drive down over the border and park at Haverhill and Bradford.

And now the final one...

In Winchester MA, TIGH Trucking and Logistics has a cold storage warehouse. They've been in the same location since I think 1918 and have always had freight service - not as much in recent years, but still have an active siding. Word got out that they were going to start receiving a few more boxcars on a daily basis. The NIMBYs came out in throngs again to fight the increased freight traffic, and even brought in out of towners. One woman, who was interviewed, was actually a real estate agent from Lexington, and didn't even live in or near Winchester or those railroad tracks!

NIMBYs... This is why the news media does what it does when it comes to railroads. Railroads are always bad.

John

Oh no! TIGH Trucking and Logistics is going to be receiving more freight from an effective system! This is HORRIBLE! We will be able to hear the horns from 10 miles away! Lets sue the railroad for disrupting the peace!

I rather like doing these sarcastic NIMBY impressions.

Maybe the railroad should get on the NIMBY's case for building houses too close to the railroad.

Oh no! TIGH Trucking and Logistics is going to be receiving more freight from an effective system! This is HORRIBLE! We will be able to hear the horns from 10 miles away! Lets sue the railroad for disrupting the peace!

I rather like doing these sarcastic NIMBY impressions.

Maybe the railroad should get on the NIMBY's case for building houses too close to the railroad.

LOL. I would like to see that happen, but it usually doesn't. The rail authorities cave to the NIMBYs for some reason most of the time.

Although... In some areas people have built houses next to tracks that appear to be closed, extended their backyards into the ROW, thinking they can use it for gardens and pools, only later to find out the line is being reactivated again. This happened down on the South Shore when the "T" reactivated the closed Scituiate branch about 10 years ago. The snotty town of Harwich, though, made the "T" build an expensive tunnel because they didn't want the trains running through the town center like they once did for 150 years before.

John

Hi everybody.
With the greatest respect to the previous posters but I fail to see where the bias is in the newspapers report of this incident. The headline stated “Commuter rail train collides with car in Braintree” which is exactly what happened. It then goes on to state very factually and without comment that the car was waiting at the crossing when it was hit from the rear by another vehicle. The foregoing shunted the first car onto the crossing where it again became stationary and probably immovable due to damage. Therefore, it goes without saying that anything which is stationary is incapable of colliding with any other object and the only way an accident can occur would be through the stationary object being hit by something which is moving.

The above is exactly what happened in this incident. The media report did not state that the rail company was in any way at fault and only commented that those persons in the car escaped uninjured. In the final paragraph it stated that the driver of the SUV had been cited for an incident. Therefore, as already stated I fail to see any bias in the reporting of this matter by the newspaper.

I would agree that there are those which will always voice their opinion against railways and their development. However, fortunately in United Kingdom they are very much a decreasing minority due to the fact that people are turning to the railways in huge numbers as their main source of transport. The problem in the UK is that many of the train operating companies are finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the ever-growing passenger numbers.

The above makes it quite simple, people do not criticise that which they use themselves and wish to see further develop.
Bill

Last edited:
Back