Can't I just drive a route??

hordriss

So, I recently bought Trainz 22 Platinum in the Steam Sale. I've had quite a bit of time in other train sims (TSC, TSW, Derail Valley etc), and the Trainz interface is quite a lot different.

I downloaded a route which interested me via the content downloader, however there were no sessions with it so I was unable to do anything with it. Trying to create a session just opened an editor of sorts which I didn't understand in the slightest.

So, is it not possible to just pick a route, pick a starting point in that route and drive like it is on other train sims? I'm not bothered about seeing AI traffic at all, I just wanted to check out the route I downloaded but it seems incredibly complex to just do that!

Check if there's an session for the route you downloaded on DLS :)

Otherwise, it's not that hard to create your own session, just find the route in Trainz, press View Sessions, and press Create session. Add the trains you wanna run, and save, exit and press "Drive session" on the one you just created. Just make sure switches are laid in the right direction.

Check if there's an session for the route you downloaded on DLS :)

Otherwise, it's not that hard to create your own session, just find the route in Trainz, press View Sessions, and press Create session. Add the trains you wanna run, and save, exit and press "Drive session" on the one you just created. Just make sure switches are laid in the right direction.
I did find one session, but not sure what happened as the train which was there just started moving by itself without any input from me! I'll have another look at what you said and hopefully that'll sort things out. Thanks!

I did find one session, but not sure what happened as the train which was there just started moving by itself without any input from me!
Sessions can be designed so that some (or all) trains will move by themselves under AI ("Artificial Intelligence") - in reality the session creator has issued those drivers with sets of commands (destinations, loads to pick up and drop off, timed delays, etc).

So, is it not possible to just pick a route, pick a starting point in that route and drive like it is on other train sims? I'm not bothered about seeing AI traffic at all, I just wanted to check out the route I downloaded but it seems incredibly complex to just do that!
So.... not quite as easily as in a game like Train Simulator. Trainz is more of a sandbox product so you end up having to do some of this stuff yourself.

When you open up the editor, there should be a tab for trains somewhere. If you're in the classic version of the editor, there should be like eight tabs on the right and it'll be the bottom one. If you're in the new version.... I can't help you there, sorry.

Once you find the list of trains, navigate to a location in the world and just place some down. Anything you want. There are some premade consists to make it easier, but you can also just build your own consist with individual traincars. Save and exit, then load it in driver. You should be good to go.

Trainz is almost more like a full-size model railroad in that sense. Some route creators (especially for the dlc routes) create scripted sessions for their routes but others do not, so it's up to you to provide the gameplay yourself just like if you were running trains on a model railroad.

I wish they wouldn't advertise it as a "train simulator game" because the average video gamer who picks it up wanting only to drive a train is going to be sorely disappointed, but I suppose that's how they get sales. But fundamentally that's not what the product is. It's more of a railroading simulation sandbox.

I did find one session, but not sure what happened as the train which was there just started moving by itself without any input from me! I'll have another look at what you said and hopefully that'll sort things out. Thanks!
I play mostly off session routes for the reason i want to drive the train i want at the given time and not a specified train that i might not be interested in. This does not mean that sessions are not useful some times they help you to understand better how a route actually work and the needs for passengers or loads. I suggest choose a route and go to edit route delete any train that makes the conflict as you say in you thread, make a check of what is the main focus of the route if has to do with passenger stations or loading cargos to industries and place your own appropriate train.

I play mostly off session routes for the reason i want to drive the train i want at the given time and not a specified train that i might not be interested in. This does not mean that sessions are not useful some times they help you to understand better how a route actually work and the needs for passengers or loads. I suggest choose a route and go to edit route delete any train that makes the conflict as you say in you thread, make a check of what is the main focus of the route if has to do with passenger stations or loading cargos to industries and place your own appropriate train.
Can you explain what you mean by off session routes please? I'm basically coming in fresh to the Trainz franchise and it's all entirely different to what I'm used to!

So, I recently bought Trainz 22 Platinum in the Steam Sale. I've had quite a bit of time in other train sims (TSC, TSW, Derail Valley etc), and the Trainz interface is quite a lot different.

I downloaded a route which interested me via the content downloader, however there were no sessions with it so I was unable to do anything with it. Trying to create a session just opened an editor of sorts which I didn't understand in the slightest.

A session is a pre set up set of tasks to do such as drive from point a to b and pick up passengers along the way. Trains to drive will be included in the session. To just open a route and drive pick the route you are interested in and open for edit. Find a place on the route you want to start. On the assets tab on the left you will see a row of symbols along the top. The next to last one is for trains. The game comes with several train sets built in so you should be able to find one by clicking on the tab that looks like the front of a locomotive. Scroll through the choices below and pick your trainset and click on it. This will light up a box on the upper right side with a plus on it. This allows you to place the trainset you picked on the track. Once the train is placed click on the symbol at the top left of the screen that looks like an X made from a wrench and a screwdriver. This will open a dropdown menu. In the center of the menu you will see an option to Drive Session. Click that and Driver will open up showing your train sitting on the track waiting for you. Click on the locomotive and you will be attached to it while you scroll around with your arrow keys. In the upper left part of the screen you will find a symbol that looks like a camera. Click on that and then Cab View and you will find yourself in the cab of the locomotive you picked. You should see a standard dial like on a model railroad controller on the far right bottom of your screen. Use your mouse to turn the dial and you will start moving. Watch the green and red arrows on the track as you move along and click on them to change the switch direction to the way you want to go. You can use the J key as well. This might be easier. That is what I do when I just want to drive a train on a route I am working on or to explore a new route downloaded from the download station. The H key will blow the horn while B is for the bell. This should get you started on your journey with Trainz Railroad Simulator where your only limit is your imagination. Have fun. Forgot to mention. When you are done click on the X symbol again and chose edit in surveyor 2.0 or classic and the program will take you back to the editor.

Jack

Can you explain what you mean by off session routes please? I'm basically coming in fresh to the Trainz franchise and it's all entirely different to what I'm used to!
Jack made a good analysis to what i have said before, so i will add some few words to give you the central meaning of the matter. We call session a preset and qualified route. Which is actually filled with rules and tasks. Certain Trains Included. Edit the route makes you the creator (author) of your own session. If the route is freeware you can edit the route instantly adding Locos ,consists, even actually changing almost what your eye can see from trees, terrain, sky, etc. If it is payware you must make a clone of the route and by editing the clone again you are free to create and drive your own session.

To add to what Jack wrote, which is really an excellent summary, you can also take over any train the AI is driving and drive it yourself. Click on the engine and press the 1-key on the alpha-part of your keyboard, not the number pad side. This will put you right into the driver's seat where you can drive all you want by clicking on the three dots (...) on the right until you find the DCC controller knob or the CAB controls, depending upon whether you want model railroad type driving or realistic driving.

When you are done driving, you can exit, right-click on the engine and tell the driver to continue the schedule although this might mess things up with the preset schedule, or maybe not. You can then pick another train and drive that one instead.

Many session creators put extra locomotives on the routes around engine terminals. You can always grab one of those and drive that instead of taking over an existing train. The variations are endless and this is one of the gold stars that Trainz has over the other simulators. You can do pretty much what you want and even edit and create your own session.

Here's something to try:

As with most anything in Trainz, whenever you modify someone else's work, meaning a route or session, the program automatically clones that and creates a copy under your ID. This is a good thing because the original is still intact and you have the opportunity to do what you want with your own copy.

Anyhow, open up the session in the editor and then save the session. You'll be given the option to save both the session and the route, or create your own session. If all you want is the session, create a new one with a different name to make it easier to find. Once you have that saved, you can modify it as you wish by adding in other train consists that you may want to drive yourself. If you want to make changes to the route, use the Save As option to create your own route and session. This will keep both intact, so you don't have to create a session from scratch because that can really be a lot of work and really does take a bit of experience with the program.

So to the point of the OP, as Lou Holtz once said, don't complicate the game. As Jetekol said above, View Sessions, Create a session, place engines and cars as you want them, then select Driver and start driving. And as he added, make sure the switches ahead are set as you want them. CTRL-J if you can switch in time.

Thanks to everyone who's responded. Coming from the somewhat more idiot-friendly UI of TSC/TSW, your replies have all been very helpful!

Thanks to everyone who's responded. Coming from the somewhat more idiot-friendly UI of TSC/TSW, your replies have all been very helpful!
You're welcome, Sir!

Trainz is a different beast than the others. With this program, you have a full railroad, or even a model railroad at your fingertips and mouse-clicks. There are many aspects of the program making it something for everyone ranging from the tinkerer to a "serious" route builder, while others focus on scripting and asset building and rarely drive a train at all except to test their creations. The people with the most experience will create huge routes with complex operating sessions complete with multiple industries, and many dozens of AI drivers following their orders, others such as myself and many others like to keep things simple.

We highly recommend you try the tutorials and play around with the Kickstarter route as that will give you the gist of what's to come. As I said in my post, grab an idle engine. You can then drive that train while the AI do their own thing at the same time.

What we generally recommend is to start small and learn along the way. Feel free to experiment, above all have fun, and most of all ask as many questions as you wish to.

Aside from sessions that have a lot of tasks for the Driver to do: go here, do that, then go there, etc. if you don't particularly care where end up, you could also just tell the driver to "Drive". A nice way to explore the route and see what happens. Depending on how the various track junctions are set, you could end up at the other end of the route or get side lined within a few meters. No problem, flip a junction or two and try again.

Back