Can Trainz be Run in a windowed mode?

Sampug394

I'm back. >:]
Just want to know if Trainz can be run in like, 640x480 or something, since I have an 1152x684 Moniter...

I also want to know if it can run properly when windowed. :hehe:

It can be run in windowed mode. However that small I am unsure.

Trainz overall works fine, however you will notice a performance loss.

If you start Trainz by clicking directly on the trainz.exe file in the /auran/TSxxx/bin folder, it will open in a window - at least in TS2010 it does.

Seems to run ok in that mode for me.

Duane

Yes it can...In TRS2006, you find out your PC monitor max native resolution (or whatever resolution you are currently using)...and select in Trainz Screen-"Options" display settings to run in the next smaller resolution down, than what your PC screen is running in.

And in your trainzoptions file, the -fullscreen line; gets changed to -windowed

It is handy, sometimes...although it can get be problematic, as screenshots "PrtScr" are taking a picture of your entire screen including the screens toolbars, and other Trainz problems like lag and bad framerates may occur.

It is highly handy as you can surf the web, Google Earth, Yahoo IM, view Topo Maps...all the while running Trainz, and sliding the Trainz screen out of the way, by dragging it across the screen.

You can always change it back to the fullscreen mode anytime by changing your line in the Trainzoptions file back to -fullscreen , and changing your Trainz "Options" resolution setting back to where it previosly was set at.

Keep a hand written logbook of you original Trainzopitions file, and what your "Display" resolution settings were. A handwritten logbook is a handy thing for back reference !

Last edited:
Using Trainz 2010, before you load the game itself, go into the Options from the multi-choice window and you'll be able to tell the game to run in windowed mode with various resolutions. Sadly, it will NOT let you pick a resolution such as 640*480 or 800*600 as they are below the minimum option of 1024*768 (using a 4*3 ratio).

Windowed Trainz runs fine on my MacTrainz. With one little problem: when I want to use the ? in Surveyor on an industry track in order to examine/change its settings then the window that should show these to me is almost completely off the screen. It appears that the routine to display that window (should be a child window to the main one) ignores the fact that I have the window smaller that my screen. In my case the window is 1280*1024 while the screen is 1920*1040. I cannot even move the window so I can see it completely. And I have to work in windowed mode when I need a screen shot. (Look at my thread in the Mac section to find out why).

Dralex

Back