Can someone help me find a suitable building like this one on the DLS?

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I'm looking for a building similar this one that I can use on a route I'm working. I know that this'll be difficult to find on the DLS, but that is why I'm asking the community to help me find an appropriate, or similar, building to use. I'm really more focused on the design of the exterior walls, which gives it the look of a log cabin, which is what's making it hard for me to find. I don't really care what language the building, and description is, on the DLS. It has to be TANE SP2 and older. Here's a link to Google Maps for it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2744656,-83.2059291,3a,75y,319.7h,84.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spmFVih1O8JzQgvVPhgUY7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
P.S. For anyone who's wondering what this route is, I'm making a present day version of Dermmy's EK3 route, using the original route as a starting point. This building goes in the place that the power plant used to be, which actually doesn't exist in real life.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Dave and a building is the perfect asset to start content creation with :).

Warning:
Content creation can turn into your new addiction!

Totally agree with Dave and a building is the perfect asset to start content creation with :).

Warning:
Content creation can turn into your new addiction!

I tried reskinning subpar productions shortline steam locomotives, but when I loaded it into Trainz, it wouldn't work. They're supposed to be easy to reskin, but I couldn't get them to work. I also tried reskinning whitepass' Norfolk and Western into the two open-air coaches at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, but the yellow lines on the TVRM's coaches that form the outline of a rectangle wouldn't work. I tried to change the colors of those cars to look more like the red used on the TVRM's cars, but the way the texture file is set up, I couldn't get it to work. I've also tried to reskin magicland's PRR coaches to match the streamlined PRR coach, but they didn't work either. I finally gave up on all of this reskinning because I just couldn't figure out how to get the outcome to work for me. The only ones that I'm able to successfully reskin is bendorsey's Harriman coaches and open-air cars. They simply use one texture for the whole body of the car, so it's easy for me to reskin those. I'm already, what you could say, being addicted to content creation, but it's routes, not reskins or creating content from scratch. Blender, GMAX, etc. all look too complicated for me to understand and I'd know that I'd end up giving up on figuring out how they work. If there was a person who would walk me thru how to use it I'd probably be able to figure it out. I can't learn it online as my past experience with learning online have not ended well. I had to take classes in foreign language in high school and I tried one of those computer programs to help me learn a foreign language, and it didn't work for me. I had to take an online class in college, but it just didn't work for me. I'm a hands-on type of person, so taking online classes haven't worked for me. I've gone online and looked to see if the local college has a class on how to use programs such as GMAX or Blender, but they don't.

Last edited:
I am not seeing what reskinning has to do with this topic. What am I overlooking or misunderstanding?

I have never reskinned anything but I did build a few structures.

I am not seeing what reskinning has to do with this topic. What am I overlooking or misunderstanding?

I have never reskinned anything but I did build a few structures.

Reskinning is also content creation and it's the closest I've gotten to GMAX and Blender.

I tried reskinning subpar productions shortline steam locomotives, but when I loaded it into Trainz, it wouldn't work. They're supposed to be easy to reskin, but I couldn't get them to work. I also tried reskinning whitepass' Norfolk and Western into the two open-air coaches at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, but the yellow lines on the TVRM's coaches that form the outline of a rectangle wouldn't work. I tried to change the colors of those cars to look more like the red used on the TVRM's cars, but the way the texture file is set up, I couldn't get it to work. I've also tried to reskin magicland's PRR coaches to match the streamlined PRR coach, but they didn't work either. I finally gave up on all of this reskinning because I just couldn't figure out how to get the outcome to work for me. The only ones that I'm able to successfully reskin is bendorsey's Harriman coaches and open-air cars. They simply use one texture for the whole body of the car, so it's easy for me to reskin those. I'm already, what you could say, being addicted to content creation, but it's routes, not reskins or creating content from scratch. Blender, GMAX, etc. all look too complicated for me to understand and I'd know that I'd end up giving up on figuring out how they work. If there was a person who would walk me thru how to use it I'd probably be able to figure it out. I can't learn it online as my past experience with learning online have not ended well. I had to take classes in foreign language in high school and I tried one of those computer programs to help me learn a foreign language, and it didn't work for me. I had to take an online class in college, but it just didn't work for me. I'm a hands-on type of person, so taking online classes haven't worked for me. I've gone online and looked to see if the local college has a class on how to use programs such as GMAX or Blender, but they don't.

Hey jordon412. I needed to throw my 2 cents in here, I used to love Trainz back in 1.???, then I bought some newer versions, 2004, 2006, etc.
Then I got into content creation and I totally agree with oknotsen. It ruins you for Trainz because building and modeling becomes an addiction. I spent so much time in gmax, I hardly had any time to play engineer. I started down the 3d modeling road and left Trainz for a while.

But that said, I'm a hands on guy too, and I understand that you can now use Blender for making assets. I've been away for some time but Blender's my all time favorite 3d modeler.
If you want to learn w/o paying all the money for college and have fun too, here are some excellent sites that will teach you.

Blender Cookie (or GCCookie) rocks for tutorials but they have gotten into pay to learn, but there's plenty of free, beginner courses.
https://cgcookie.com/learn-blender

Blender Guru's tutorials cannot be compared to anyone's. Andrew Price is to the point, professional, and is fun to learn from
https://www.blenderguru.com/

Those are my 2 go-to sites for anything Blender, except of course for blender.org.

If you'd rathere get it from the DS, then by all means, but if you'd like to mess around, making assets, check it out.

Cheers!

Back