Can HO model trains be made easily to sound horn approaching crossings?

JonMyrlennBailey

If one has a DCC HO-scale loco for instance, what is the simplest way to set up an automatic horn-blowing as the train approaches and passes a RR crossing without actual computerization of the layout?

Are there HO model crossings with working gates, red flashing lights and bell sound?

If one has a DCC HO-scale loco for instance, what is the simplest way to set up an automatic horn-blowing as the train approaches and passes a RR crossing without actual computerization of the layout?

Are there HO model crossings with working gates, red flashing lights and bell sound?
I think there is a script about this, first time i met this it was in Sherman Hill Route and i was impressed of the fact that every time an Ai train was approaching a crossing was using its horn. Lately i meet this more often and to other routes it starts to be a standard. For the crossings if you make a search you can add from sites to a model railroad.

This is all doable and probably not as complex as we're making it. Using small optical switches placed within the track or nearby on a pole, a passing train can trip the crossing into action. The actual circuits can be built using 555 timer chips and either run off a tap from the power supply - there will need to be a voltage divider to bring the power down to whatever is needed, or use their own power source. The timer can be set to run for so many clock-cycles to set the delay time for the gates to go down once the sensor is tripped. This works similarly to how triggers work in Trainz except these are the real ones and not virtual ones.

There are working gates and bells. I remember seeing those on my uncle's model railroad - the one I wasn't allowed to touch. That was back in the 60s and today's electronics are a lot smaller and easier to use than back then. There are all kinds of kits, modules, etc., to set up what you want. This all depends upon how much you want to spend.

There are articles all the time in Model Railroader, Model Railroad Hobbyist, and other magazines. MRH is an online magazine with nice articles. They also have a layout plans database to look through with plans created by the members of their forum.

Last edited:
Back