British signalling practice on Trainz

F2Andy

I am curious how this works on both modern and semaphore signals. Actually, my first question is; is there difference in how signals are placed between modern and semaphore in Trainz? I have looked at signalling guides, but the ones I found do not deal with the ends of a line.

Say I have a "long siding" (station five miles from juction, single line, no points or OES); where do I put signals? Clearly one to stop trains leaving the line to protect the mainline. Do I also need one in the opposite direction at the same point? I think I do for Trainz to see this as a new block.

What about at the station five miles down the line? Do I need a signal to enter the station? I suspect I do, otherwise the signal at the junction will only show caution, and my trains will be stuck at half speed. Do I also need a signal to leave the station?

Okay, so now my main line is at the terminus. Do I need a signal going into each platform?

How do I signal two platforms with a crossover where a train can run around?

Also, what signals should I use in a yard? Say I have a shed for 4 multiple units, what signals are appropriate.

I may well have more questions yet.

There's a Trainz Signalling Guide PDF around somewhere, which has a great set of diagrams for signalling US and UK track. I only have a printout and not the file, but someone might know where it is. I keep meaning to reproduce the diagrams as some kind of drawing file - I'll try and get around to it and post the results.

Edit: Try here: http://drucifer.net/Trainz/Trainz_Signalling.htm The images don't show up here at work so I'm not sure if that's what you need.

Thanks, but that is one I found before. I could see nothing in it about what to do at the end of a line. Am I just missing it?

Generally, at the end of a line, one would have a 'rail end' - which is like a set of 'buffers' at the end of the track, which AI 'see' as a signal, so they'll close up to within, oh, say, 20m and come to a stop.

Generally, at the end of a line, one would have a 'rail end' - which is like a set of 'buffers' at the end of the track, which AI 'see' as a signal, so they'll close up to within, oh, say, 20m and come to a stop.

Yes, buffers are a stop signal. Add a little bit of invisible track after them to get locos to stop closer to the buffer itself.

UK practice frequently placed a 'fixed distant' as a warning a reasonable stopping distance before the end of a line, eg. at a terminus station. My way of doing this is to lay a short length of invisible track, add a distant signal, then tweak that length of track until the signal looks correctly placed - holding the shift key to prevent it connecting. Or connect invisible track to a short length of 'updating' fixed track and use that. By the way, I'm speaking of semaphore signals.

Ray

Hi, for your "siding" with a station at the end of it, which is usually referred to as a "branch lline" you need a signal on the main line which controls the entrance to the branch line (sends trains onto the single line). Another signal on the single line protecting the junction (sends trains onto the mainline) which has a distant signal in rear of it. This can either be a semaphore distant or a colourlight depending on the type of signalling you wish to use. I have not come across a distant colourlight in Trainz so you probably have to make do with a 3 aspect signal. If you have an issue with trains proceeding at half speed to the station you will need an additional signal on the approach to the station. This should act as a distant to the buffer stop at the end of the single line. Teminal stations are straightforward. One signal on the mainline which will take your trains into all the platforms. In real life they would have a theatre type route indicator so the driver knows which platform he/she is going into. Again this signal needs a distant signal as above. Each platform will need a "departure" signal. That is all you need apart from the buffer stops. Closing this reply and starting a new one.

Back again! I,m writing these posts at work signalling real trains but luckily it,s the middle of the night. Running round a train is more difficult as I don,t know your track layout. Essentialy there are two methods. On a double track line you would have a xover at each end of the station. You need 4 signals, one at the end of each platform protecting the crossovers and one on each track approaching the platform (4 in total) which protect the crossovers and also acting as distants for the other 4 signals. These last signals will most likely need distant signals, depending on your layout. Running round on a single line requires a passing loop which for operating convenince are usually found at stations. You will need 2 signals, one on each approach to the station protecting the 2 switches at each end of the passing loop, one at each end of the passing loop and one at each end of the "single line" opposite the signals in the passing loop. Depots, yards etc! generally do not need or have signals. Train and shunting movements are controlled by the staff e.g. driver, shunter etc! There are signals contolling the entrance and exit to the depot and thats about it. Anything else you want to know feel free to ask . There is not really any difference between semaphore and multiple aspect signals in trainz as the AI only recognizes 3 signal conditons. Stop, Caution and proceed although you could position semaphores as in real life creating starter, home, junction and distant signals to name the main ones.

Thanks a lot for the help.

colourlight, that was especially useful, it was the bit about putting the xtra signal at the end of the branch line, which seems entirely unnecessary on the prototype, but required for Trainz, that I was really looking for. I will see how the rest goes.

Back