Bring back the Forum Chat Window!!!

I take it you are not a Facebook or Twitland user then Malc :D

Bill

Lol, never used Twitter, I did have a Facebook Account after getting pestered by a friend of mine, however it is now blocked against any interaction with other users after getting bombarded with crap, told my friend she will have to use email!

Put me down for a "No" on this. I think a chatroom would require a lot of supervision and the trouble would outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

Ish, the difference is that Trainz is a community, not an extension of Farcebook and Twitland.

Hello Malc --

Let me just state -- not a fan of facebook, or twitland - LOL Never use it!

With that said, the forum chat never hurt anyone -- Actually it helped! At least, me!!LOL
Yes, of course, there will always be morons on their, that's just the life ... But it did help, regardless if one is a fan, or not, sir!

Our fellow trainzers posted their dislikes about it, so that's fine! LOL ... in a good spirits, of course! Some like chocolate ice cream, whiles others prefer vanilla!:hehe:

I'll tell you all a story:
Ten years ago I use team speak, not as a social club room, but as folks who share the same hobby... in this case MOH!

When I use teamspeak ten years ago, with MOH ... we were a group dedicated to that game, and you will not believe what we got there! Doctors, correctional officers, attorneys, teachers, ETC ... the Team Speak Channel was only for a selected group picked because we play a MOH, as a member group! I am not saying we should use team speak here; But, I met George, the heart surgeon, Mike, the correctional offices, etc ... so on, etc ...

I guess we should not knock it ... Like everything in life, it has it's ups, and downs!

Take Care Malc, all --

I put this matter to rest, need to go --Need to pick up my twin little girls (1th grade) from school! :wave:

Ish

Last edited:
I would put a no on it as well because it will be a bit too much a workload on the moderators here. They have enough to look after already. We don't want them to over work themselves to the limit.

Ish I remember the old days with the IRC chat. Had a great time talking to people on there discussing Trainz and other things. Really was an awesome way to share stuff in real time and get questions answered. Is there any interest in just starting an IRC chat client like back then? Regardless if you 4 guys don't like it here on the forum it still may be a good idea to have someone else run it outside of the forum.

2016: we have Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc., the alternative might be having a Trainz Channel or group made on one of those platforms. Just a suggestion.

Chat worked in the beginning of the trainz/forum - From what I can recall the problem was lack of supervision -- Boco was the mod of it, and he was leaving. That changed things I think!

The old IRC chat actually had many more mods then just Boco. Essentially any forum mod was also an IRC mod; I know that Boco, Lost_Soul (who I believe ran the chat's bot), and AJ_Fox all were mods in the chat; not to mention 2 devs, Alan & Lance. When the IRC was closed we were told that N3V didn't want to fund the server for it & that the new chat room they were supporting was the stupid in-game one.

Ish, the difference is that Trainz is a community, not an extension of Farcebook and Twitland.

While you may not use it, there are Facebook and Google+ Trainz communities; and people do use them.

Personally I found the chat to be more of a social area then the forum. Currently in the forum you can post screenshots, ask for help, or announce new content (there's a few other things...) In the chat you get to know your fellow Trainz-users, hang out, etc. And for the immediately of it, not everyone has the luxury of waiting around for some expert to come in and give you the response. Personally, I have weeks where I only have one day off from work; if Trainz is broken (and I don't know how to fix it) asking & waiting on the forum basically means I won't be using Trainz for a week. And truthfully 99% of the problems in Trainz don't need some fabled single expert to tell you how to fix it, hell most problems are solved with a database repair, anyone who's been around the block a few times can help others solve most problems.

2016: we have Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc., the alternative might be having a Trainz Channel or group made on one of those platforms. Just a suggestion.

There are a number of splinter chat groups that use Skype as a chatroom; I'm a member of 2 (and 2 administrative groups).They work alright, but with Microsoft's handling of Skype the software it's self can have issues especially with long-running chats. The main Trainz chat I'm in has been around so long & has enough people in it, it takes Skype a little while to load it up.

The biggest advantage to IRC, over any of the ones mentioned above is that it isn't tied to a piece of software. There are many clients out there that support IRC protocols, so you can choose & use the one that works best for you.

I've been a supporter of Trainz having an IRC chat room & would love to see one back. I'm not going to volunteer my moderating time 24/7 to watching it (N3V would have to start paying me for that.) But I don't really think it would actually be much of an issue; at least it never really was. There would be a few bad eggs that would pop in, but if they didn't shape up they usually left on their own accord pretty quickly. If I recall actual moderating happened pretty infrequently.

peter

Ish I remember the old days with the IRC chat....

I've been a supporter of Trainz having an IRC chat room & would love to see one back...

peter

Good Evening Gentlemen -- :wave:

Forgive me for editing your quotes ... I just wanted to highlight those posts, etc ...

I've put this matter to rest; But had to reply to say thanks for your posts, guys! Rather you're either for it, or not, I appreciate your insights!

Great detail there, Peter ... yep, those where the Mods in Chat way back then!

Malc, sir, good find!:wave:

Everyone have a good night --
Now, need to search DLS for a 3-track subway station! :eek: LOL

Ish

Back