BR Class 09 Engine Spec

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Does anyone know how easy it is to alter an enginespec? The BR Class 09 on the DLS is just a re-numbered 08. Is it easy to tweak the spec to reflect the lower tractive effort & higher top speed of the Class 09 compared to an 08?

Last edited:
Sorry to bump; I know it's only been a couple of days since I posted this... to simplify my question because I don't think it was clear:

Is it easy to edit a locomotive's enginespec to alter the tractive effort and the top speed?

Have you looked at the enginecpec config? I think those are both variables specified in the spec (as opposed to being the result of other vars).
(open asset in explorer ctrl+shift+E and open config.txt)

hmmmm...
Code:
motor
  {
  resistance                            1.4
  maxvoltage                            400
  maxspeed                              48
  brakeratio                            55000
  adhesion                              5
  max-accel                             5000
  max-decel                             10000
  axle-count                            4
  surface-area                          80
  moving-friction-coefficient           0.03
  air-drag-coefficient                  0.00017
 }

Oops. My mistake maxspeed is in the motor section (this is meters/second I believe).
1 m/s = 3.6 kph = 2.23694 mph so 48m/s 107.4mph = 172.8 kph so I guess that's right.
Tractive effort would be affected by voltage (more voltage, more power) and resistance (electrical, as I understand it, so: ) more resistance, less power.
so since power (watts) = volts * amps
and
amps = volts/resistance (ohms)
substituting we get power = volts * volts/ohms = V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R
going off the rails here.

since I'm just about certain both engines use the same voltage the electrical resistance must be higher in the class 09 (which I guess makes sense if it's faster...) so if you know how much change you need...

wow I've totally confused myself. hope some of this mess has been helpful

clarity returns

Sorry. When I go on a pedantic rant I completely lose my train of thought...

Screw all the formulae. Let's assume both have maxvoltage 400. So, V[SUP]2[/SUP] is the same for both so we ignore it.

I assume you're working from some real-life specs, so:
Code:
                                                          Tractive effort of class 08
Resistance for class 09 = Resistance of class 08 (1.4) X  ---------------------------
                                                          Tractive effort of class 09

Hi Chris,

Those are DCC values which work on AI too, the throttle-power table is where the tractive efforts are, there shown in kn on the right (224.808943 lbs = 1 kn) and speed on left, voltage in motor container is for adjusting the ampere meter, higher voltage is lower amps.

Cheers.

D'oh. Goes to show, don't believe everything you read in the internet:eek:.

It sounded impressive, though. didnit? Just repeating what I was told. (Well that was here, so I read it on the internet.) I should've known (did know, I think) that Trainz isn't modelling engine behavior in real time (though that might explain where some of those processor cycles are going) Of course, games use behavior envelopes.

BTW, Awesome! Thank you! I've been puzzling over that throttle-power container since August. Kilo-newtons! of course. And kph on the left?

Hmm. So where does that leave our seeker? Sorry, Alex. instead of replacing one number in the config.txt there's a few pages of tables to jigger.

Again, Hmm. so in the case of the class 08 AI (and dcc) drivers top out at 48 m/s (172.8 kph) but in cab-mode you still have some reserve power right up to 218. Interesting.

Producing working especs is probably the most difficult part of content creating. Hopefully T:ANE's new engineer module will make it easier though...

Diesel Enginespec Throttle Container Spreadsheet

I have a spreadsheet that you can use to make throttle containers for diesel enginespecs. Here is a link to an explanation of elements in the throttle container and a link to the spreadsheet.

Bob Weber

I have a spreadsheet that you can use to make throttle containers for diesel enginespecs. Here is a link to an explanation of elements in the throttle container and a link to the spreadsheet.

Bob Weber
Awesomely helpful! Thank You!

Would you mind if I put this link on the Wiki?

Last edited:
Only thing I don't agree with on that spread sheet is it creates a long line for Starting T.E to Continuous T.E, electro-magnetic drives in the DC current create it's max torque at 0 rpm, when the motors reach 15 rpm their torque drops, AC motors such as the 1TB2630 can have 600kn at 0 mph and 600kn at 9mph because of the micro processor creep control which gives up to 46% adhesion, this is what I see the spread modelling, the continuous rating locomotives have listed is the minimal speed they can maintain without over heating the circuits, so a locomotive with 600kn in run 8 at starting would be 520kn at 11 mph and 105kn at 62mph.

Cheers.

Back