(Big Pix Warning) Hardly Workin': My Attempts to be a Contributing Member of Society

Superliners in Trainz are indeed a dime a dozen, but half of those are rubbish, and somehow all of them manage to screw up the windows, even the Surfliner and Amtrak Cali variants. It's a complete turnoff and the only reason why I don't run them. Haven't bought them yet, but perhaps the only acceptable Superliners right now are ones by HP Trainz.

Still, create what you feel comfortable with, there's no such thing as too much new content in this hobby. :D

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Skin changer will probably hurt performance, as it'll require larger files, or at least bigger downloads necessary, and that'd be a pain for those who only want a PhIII Amfleet and end up with PHIV, PHV and Acela paint schemes. The other thing is, is that I've heard the superscript is seriously outdated

Jamie

Has anyone ever compared the performance between, say, 1 car with Chameleon script and 10 skins against 10 of the same car with different textures? I personally support Chameleon because it means I only have to install 1 car instead of 10. If you want a particular paint scheme then just go into the Properties box and set it as such.

I don't think I would set all phases to one model anyways if only because there are small changes to the models that happened along with the paint schemes. And, if weathered skins are included as well, you are looking at 12-18 skins on one car which is a tad bit excessive. I don't think those scripts were ever designed with that in mind. Just something to add variety to a consist.

Superliners in Trainz are indeed a dime a dozen, but half of those are rubbish, and somehow all of them manage to screw up the windows, even the Surfliner and Amtrak Cali variants. It's a complete turnoff and the only reason why I don't run them. Haven't bought them yet, but perhaps the only acceptable Superliners right now are ones by HP Trainz.

Still, create what you feel comfortable with, there's no such thing as too much new content in this hobby. :D

Cheerio,
Nicholas

I wouldn't call them rubbish as I can't make anything myself, but I know what you mean about the windows, that annoys me too. The HP Trainz versions are very good, but their drawback are that they are limited in variants and don't have ARN. Same for the locos.

A lot, if not most, of those Superliners have been around for the better part of a decade and, while they were good for their time, are sorely outdated now. I agree with you both about the windows, but after modeling the windows on these cars I can see why someone would just use an alpha map. Without that flickering crap that goes on they would still be pretty good.

In other news, I was just examining the diner again and there really isn't that much left to do on it. I think I'll just keep on it for now and bump the Viewliners behind the Superliners.

Last edited:
Hmm. I know I said Superliners were not my top priority, but they keep popping up everywhere. It's like they're calling out "BUILD ME BUILD ME". This is all tentative, since I work with reaching benchmarks rather than dates, but hear me out. I am toying with bumping the Superliners up in my production schedule to replace the Heritage Diner and Viewliners. The Amfleet would still be my #1 project, but the Diner and Viewliner would be pushed backed considerably. The biggest pro to this is that Superliners are used all over the nation while the Viewliners and Heritage Diners are limited to a few routes originating in NYC. The biggest con is that there is already a million Superliners out there and I don't know if I could do a better job that those. Added on to that is the fact that there are almost no diners to speak of out there. So that's my dilemma. What do you guys think?
I'd also love to see a cafe car for the amfleets!

I should have mentioned this before, but I have a slight red-green color defiency so I cannot determine if the palette that I am using is 100% correct. If you notice anything off in it please point it out, but try to give me RGB or HTML numbers since "Make it more green" has no meaning to me. I also traced the decals, except for the Amtrak logo, by hand so if you notice anything off in the spacing or alignment let me know in that department too. Here is a render of the cafe car as an offering for anyone's future assistance.

Last edited:
Perhaps you might find this useful:

AMTKColors.jpg
from here.

Can't help you much with color accuracy, I'm mild red-green deficient too! :eek:
Looking excellent thus far, nonetheless.

I love the Northeast Regional cafe car! You are definitely going to become a household name here on the forums if you keep this up!

Thanks guys. I just noticed that almost all of the Amfleets asked and built for Trainz are Amfleet Is. It would seem that no one cares, at least not as vocally, for the Amfleet IIs. I was thinking about rectifying this. On a related subject what do the cabs on the rebuilt Metroliners look like? I've found pictures of the passenger cabins and cabs while they were still used as primary locomotives, but nothing since the conversions to cab cars. Do they still look the same or were they refurbished? I just noticed your location UP5521. The first thing, other than some boxes, I ever tried to model was Richmond Broad Street Station/Science Museum of Virginia. I'd like to come back to it again sometime and do Main Street Station as well. Not Staples Mills though. Just say no toAmshacks.

Last edited:
yep that is the former RF&P station that is now the science museum and they also have a C&O 2-8-4 steam engine that is also on display, just some boxes, nah, it looks great from what I'm seeing, keep up the nice work!

I was actually in one of these 6 weeks ago, I was at the Elizabethtown station and the Engineer let me in through the side window! And from what I know, the cab's really haven't changed from the Metro liner era. You should ask Drchoi21, he might know too.

Back