Bad Sound FX

Bad sound FX:

Recently upgraded the sound card on the PC, in the hope that some very irritating running noises
would be sent packing. Unfortunately this has not been the case.
The problem is prevalent in both TS12, and TANE, and while in driver. I have run a variety of
locomotives,and rolling stock, payware, and DLS, content on my layouts, but the issue is consistent in all assets.
There also appears to be only minimal improvement in the sound quality, when running in either a built up
area ( i.e. content) or in a open rural location.
The problematic noises are a distorted cacophony of scratching, hissing, squeaking, and squealing.
These are not normal train running sounds, given that most rolling stock has it's fair share of unique noises.
Worst aspects of this issue are in 'chase mode' when viewing the particular locomotives from behind, i.e. above
or to the side of the first wagon, car. Cab mode also exhibits the same irritating symptoms, over and above the regular engine sounds. The only relief from this continual racket is when viewing the engines from either a 45dg angle, or from the front of the train.

Other symptoms would be that the noise issue seems confined to, two of my own layouts. In comparison while running
in a large TS12 built-in route, (but with only limited scenicing) the noise issue wasn't apparent. As for my own routes one is a comprehensive route, the other map being considerably smaller, and with minimal content. Curiously enough the running noise problem seems worse in the lesser of the two layouts.

As I have mentioned the improved SC did nothing to remedy the situation. I had thought that it may have been a rolling stock FX issue. But as the built-in route drive ran without fault that would seem to disprove that theory. I am now wondering if the problem could be related to faulty content, though there again when running through open areas with no suspect content present. The cackling cacophony is still present. Possibly a complete purge of any, and all faulty
content from either route will have the desired effect (!?).

Any thoughts, advise, will be welcomed as to how I can improve the sound quality on my noisy Trainz routes.

I don't know what locos or rolling stock you're running, but I've heard sounds like that with Jointed Rail stuff. The SFX used by these make a really annoying racket, similar to what you describe. What track are you using on your routes? Some track has SFX that replaces inbuilt track sound. May be worth checking scenery item's SFX to see if the problem is there. Hope this is some help.

I found that overall the sound is worse with the SoundBlaster soundcards lately due to extra driver overhead and some of their background processes. I'm not saying that T:ANE sound is perfect, however, the sound overall is better. For some reason Sound Blaster now has added junk which causes the sounds in, TS12 especially, and in T:ANE to stutter awful in addition to some other programs as well such as Arma3. By reverting back to the built-in RealTek sound, I have better performance perhaps due to the better drivers even though this is on the motherboard and not a discrete card.

you could also try foolin' around with video settings, directx vs opengl, vsync, etc., it may make a difference...

I'm using bog standard Realtek built in audio. Took me several months to realise despite most output being okay, you do need to go in and set up the tone and effects. Came to a head running Avery - Drexel when the sound deteriorated into a kind of drainpipe white noise (best I can articulate it). I found by going into the Realtek properties and selecting, you may laugh - "Padded Cell" - the sound distortion has now vanished.

I'm using bog standard Realtek built in audio. Took me several months to realise despite most output being okay, you do need to go in and set up the tone and effects. Came to a head running Avery - Drexel when the sound deteriorated into a kind of drainpipe white noise (best I can articulate it). I found by going into the Realtek properties and selecting, you may laugh - "Padded Cell" - the sound distortion has now vanished.

Hmm.... That's interesting and must give that a try.

can you record it so we can hear what you are hearing?

Some people have reported (as above) that JR items have a terrible sound which I expect might be the locomotive's air dryer sounds. These however do not play when in the cab and can also be turned off in settings. I have wondered about the reports for years being unable to find what makes them sound loud and annoying to some setups and not others.

Hi Vern,

That's a damn good tip, changing to "padded cell" works well.

Can you tell me what format you are using please?

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi Vern,

Don't worry about the format. I am using 16bit 44100Hz.
I tried changing it to see if I could enhance the sound a bit more but had to revert to 16bit 44100Hz as the sound cut out completely.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks to the 'nine'

Firstly I like to state that definitely no sound issue with Jointed Rail stock, or track. At least not while running on a new board which proved flawless (which I should have done in the first place).
My apologies to 'norfolkandsouthern37' for my ineptitude, not savy as to how to do a sound demo of the running din.
Direct X verses Open GL in TS12 made not a jot of difference to the prevailing noise problem, nor was there any issue with track type. In TANE the problem
was still prevalent while running at lower speeds (below 20km) but improved marginally over that rate of knots.
And yes the sound card is one of the 'Sound Blasters'. . . unsure what the original card make was Realtek or otherwise. So there maybe some issue there!?.
Changing cards again would require further expense, with no guarantees of solving the issue. But that seems the about the only realistic option in the 'padded cell'
at this stage. Alternatively I guess I could invest in a pair of motorized skis!.

Back