Argh, Floating roads..

Davie_UCF

Here since 2001, Trainz!!
I'm spending far too long trying to make the roads on my route not float.

I can manage the track, that only floats a little bit and can be lowered easily, however the roads :eek: They appear to float miles above the terrain. If you use the smooth terrain it makes it worse.

I know you can lower them like the tracks but this is tricky on hills. For example I have a short hill to a level crossing. I can't seem to get it to work there. It looks horrendus and even from a train you notice.

I'm using the roads that are used widely in the TC3/S&C route.
Maybe I should change roads.. if any otyher roads work better.

Does anyone have any techiques for fixing this stupid issue?

David

Yes it's incredibly daft and annoying.

The best way round it other than adjusting everything by hand, is to use a track or road with a nice deep bed. Unfortunately these types of track can be heavy on framerates, so I usually adjust ground levels upwards to the track or road, cursing all the way.:eek:

regards
Stovepipe

David,
I like the YARN roads by Maddy25. They're pretty thick and give you some leeway when sinking them into the ground a bit. Unfortunately the only way to get everything to look right is to lower each spline point and adjust the terrain. If I remember right -0.051 adjustments on the spline height should get them about flush.

The only good thing, if that is possible, is having to adjust floating track and roads tends to avoid that straight and level look. Never seen a stretch of track or road perfectly level and I like to add small dips and bumps anyway.

Dave....

Certain roads are set high so the traffic doesn't float, at least for older versions of Trainz. The roads that float typically don't work right with most quality crossings either, as the road will bury the crossing when attached. I too use mainly the YARN roads, but there are other nice roads out there.

I too hate floating roads, and have found that Maddy's YARN roads are excellent and so are those roads by BNSF50. These roads match the crossing well, and also do not float.

Maddy's roads also work with the BNSF50 crossings in case you're wondering.

John

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some good others good but not suited as i'm looking for UK roads!

I have noticed they float 0.55 above!!!! So I am using that and lowering them to adjust but still it doesnt fix all of it, especially on hills.

They appear to float miles above the terrain. If you use the smooth terrain it makes it worse.
David

Fix the vertex heights before smoothing.

My procedure is to lay the road, come back along it in the opposite direction fixing the vertex heights (you don't have to do them all, locking one locks the two on either side also), then back along in the original direction with the 'smooth' tool, then a final pass in the reverse direction lowering each vertex. How much lowering is required varies from road to road, but between .3 and .5 works for most. A long and laborious process...

Andy :)

I too hate floating roads, and have found that Maddy's YARN roads are excellent and so are those roads by BNSF50. These roads match the crossing well, and also do not float.

Maddy's roads also work with the BNSF50 crossings in case you're wondering.

John

Love Maddy's roads and BNSF50's roads and crossings... But I don't use them because the traffic floats about 3-4 feet above the road. And I like lots of traffic on my roads....

I use the other roads & xings and do like Andy says... Takes time, and it'd be lot easier if EVERTHING worked perfect, but I guess we can't have everything.

For me there are two issues.

Firstly the road which always floats above the surface; secondly the traffic which floats above the road, even when you have pulled the road down to surface height.

I've managed to overcome both, firstly by finding and using a road which generates no traffic. Next, lay an invisible road, which does generate traffic, just beneath the surface - trial and error is required to get the correct spline point height "reduction" for your chosen road.

Once its done, then the traffic will run with tyres firmly on the surface.

Cheers
Casper
:)

Hide the floating effect of roads and traffic by putting a wall or hedge at either side of the road...problem solved :wave:

In TC and 09 and I suspect 10, though I don't have that version, the cars are down on the road. That is the roads that are at 0.0 elevation like mine are.

Back