Are locomotive doors locked ?

I would have thought so for basic security reasons. In the UK the cab is a secure environment and no unauthorised persons are allowed whether its the driving cab or not in use.

I was working in a very remote train order station one time, and there was a frt train in the siding waiting for a meet.a fellow walked in and asked me when the freight train would be leaving, and told me next time he was travelling by CP,cause CN was to slow

I was working in a very remote train order station one time, and there was a frt train in the siding waiting for a meet.a fellow walked in and asked me when the freight train would be leaving, and told me next time he was travelling by CP,cause CN was to slow

Can we say this guy has some really big balls to ask that to a railroad worker!

Back to the original question... I would think that the engines are locked and this weird character broke into the locomotive somehow.

of course the locomotives have locks.

they can be locked, but may not necessarily always be locked. those who bum rides on them know how when and where to look for these things. the man in the video may be strange but he knows how to stay out of sight.

I can't tell you about practices outside the UK but here in Britain - certainly in my time as a Driver (Engineer to our American cousins)[1978 - 2008] - cab doors on locos or multiple units were very rarely locked. If locked at all it was usually done by the Fitters on a depot. Most footplatemen would get extremely annoyed upon finding a locked cab door because you were usually on a depot or in a siding climbing up the loco steps with a heavy bag over your arm looking to open the door with your free arm. A locked door meant climbing down again, rummaging through your pockets or bag for a "T" key, unlocking the door and then resuming the climb into the cab. It doesn't sound like much of a trial but it could be so annoying because - as Sod's Law dictates - it usually happened when it was throwing it down with rain or when it was scorching hot and very humid and you just didn't seem to have the energy to spare.

Dave

Back