Amtrak Revitalization Project - Large Pictures Ahead

They're the ones Amtrak received in 1971 and converted to HEP in the late 70s and early 80s. From left to right its ex-PC née NYC 24/8 Slumbercoach, ex-ATSF 10/6 Sleeper, and ex-NP Diner. The diner is actually still in service, at least until the Viewliner IIs come in large numbers, as Amtrak 8505.

And maybe a sleeping car too (if Amtrak ever used any of the same cars as if it was from a ex-NPR sleeping car)? I had to admit from the first 2 screenshots, it look identical to one of the Barnum & Bailey Circus cars (converted from a ex-ATSF or ex-UP I guess)?

Great progress though!

No Nickel Plate Road sleepers made it to Amtrak as far as I know. Most of their passenger cars were retired and disposed of by the N&W in the late 60s. Only a half dozen or so coaches made it to Amtrak.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but in all honesty if I did steam heated cars I would probably do them in their original railroads schemes.

Trainz has a shortage of good passenger cars, so they would be needed. Perhaps you could only do one or two schemes per car and then let others do the rest of the skins themselves and release them.

Well I have accurate consists for a lot of the named passenger trains from the late 50s and early 60s. Empire builder, super chief, California zephyr, silver meteor, etc. so I'd release them, if I ever even did this, in matched sets like that. Of course that leads to this whole mouse recieving a cookie situation where I would want to finish my E and F units to pull them. Again talking pretty far off into the future with this so I don't want to speculate on it too much.

Believe me. You wouldn't want these things right now anyways. They're basically the first non-scenery item I've ever imported into Trainz so "tweaking is needed" would be major understatement.

After much deliberation with myself, and I promise I'm not THAT crazy, I've decided to work on the steam heated cars next instead of the HEP rebuilds. Those were my favorites anyways and it seems that those are more popular with the rest of you as well. Steam cars will take more time to do than the HEP cars since I am in the process of gathering all the information I need, but I hope they'll be worth the extra leg work in the end. So, as a small teaser shot here's a render of a 1950s-era Trane AC condenser and the associated compressor that would've been found underneath any number of steam heated cars. Not the most interesting render, perhaps, but I hope it gives you an idea of the detail I want to go into with these cars.

Last edited:
I have a trip planned on the Cardinal and Capitol Limited towards the end of the month giving me access to Superliners and Amfleet IIs. I am going to hold off working too much more on the modern Amtrak equipment until then so I can solve a few questions that can't be answered with photos or diagrams. In the mean time I've really taken to the steam heated cars before Amtrak rebuilt them, stripped the skirting off, changed some diaphragms, etc. This is AMTK 2230-2235 (ex-SCL 6100-6105, née-SAL 70-75) a Pullman Standard 11 Bedroom Sleeping Car as found on the Silver Meteor during the SCL and early Amtrak periods.

Perhaps this would be better suited for a separate thread, but I'll ask it here anyways. Does anyone know what a general rule of thumb for the max polys for different LOD levels? I've turned up a few things, but they're all from pre-2010 and computing power has certainly increased since then. Not that makes an excuse for going poly-hog wild, but I don't want to take a hatchet to the things when a scalpel would work.

when will the amfleets come out?

When they're done. Now please stop asking for them. It's annoying, and the cause of many content creators to stop releasing content or leaving.

In the mean time we have our own Amfleet Coach cars available on Amtrak Trainz Group you can download right now!

If you refer to the post directly above the first time you asked for them I clearly stated that I won't even be working on them until after my little excursion at the end of this month. That means looking at no earlier than August for beta testing to begin and anything after that can't even get an estimate pinned to it. I've only recently starting exporting models into Trainz so bear with me please. The first superliner I put in game had opaque windows, wheels that rocked back and forth like a pendulum, and derailed whenever it was coupled to another car. Those are just the major issues.

Back