American City WIP

JP_Quiggle

This is my first route, I am planning on having it be route between 2 cities. I would greatly appreciate feedback if you have any.
JP_Quiggle_20120513_0000.jpg
JP_Quiggle_20120513_0001.jpg

JP_Quiggle_20120513_0002.jpg

JP_Quiggle_20120513_0003.jpg

Looks like a good start! Cities are problematic in the computing power they require. Keep the speed limits low, be careful of overdoing the scenery and keep using that low detail content where possible. You may want to consider using a backdrop if you can get away with it. Good luck.

OK, Thanks for the advice. BTW I love your content.

Shhh...don't say that too loudly! Thank you though, without great, kind and generous modelers my humble reskins would be naught!

I'm actually working on a route now that is similar to what you are doing, I'll let you know if I stumble across some miracle while I am working!

I'm sure that route will be fantastic. On a side note, do you think I should add a commuter rail like Metrolink or Sounder to the route? I have been debating that for a while and am still not sure. Same with a freight railyard.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm all for a commuter line, and as far as a freight yard goes, I agree with that as well. Here's a picture of what I'm working on right now:

263af93e66016a25061c6956d4316bed.jpg

That looks great! That's sorta what I'm aiming for. I have tried to get that many times in the past and ended up abandoning all of them because they didn't look very good, but this route is turning out much better than the others. (Sorry about the friend request btw, I was trying to add you as a contact and forgot to un-check the box).

Last edited:
Seems to go without saying, but I'm trying to use lower buildings in the foreground, then middle height buildings, then tall, and a backdrop at the rear. I'm trying to give the impression of a large city without making the train actually drive through the downtown canyons. You look like you may be going for something different. I may put a subway entrance near the train station, definitely a bus station, just something to give the impression that there is a link to downtown somehow!

Its Stratford.

Nice start.

Thing with cities is that it would be wise to catch the feeling of a city without actually modeling it.
Which is kinda hard.

I dont use backdrops, but the above mentioned method works pretty good. But I mix in higher and middle sized buildings in the foreground as well.
Good thing you use parking lots and trees in it.
Some people think cities only consist of buildings.
:)

Good luck with it.

What was that Skyscraper background you used Euphod?

Backdrop Towers 2 2006,<kuid:171456:21022>. On the DLS; Author: Spock2004

I'm still working on that area, I just threw that picture up as an example.
NKP; the route will be released, hopefully this year, and will be on the DLS, as will all the dependencies. Thanks for expressing interest.

I finally got the chance to work on it again and decided i wanted to add an airport into the city.
JP_Quiggle_20120531_0000.jpg

JP_Quiggle_20120531_0002.jpg

I also got to adding some more to the city.
JP_Quiggle_20120531_0001.jpg

I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but now that school is out I hopefully will get more done.

Back