Adopt a newbie?

Tashyakkell

Hi all... I'm thinking of buying TS12. I generally like sims, mostly play flight sims but some others too. Never done a train one, but I'm kind of interested in trying... and the multiplayer thing of this one caught my eye...

Well, I am just wondering if there might be some people out there willing to play with and tolerate a newbie while learning*... Usually available evenings US time...

(*If there are tutorials I'll do those on my own, of course... but I prefer playing with company usually)

Welcome to the wonderful and, at times, the frustrating world of Trainz. I would agree TS 12 is the version for you especially as you are interested in multi player. Some players prefer 2010 for the older content but I have played both and overall I prefer TS 12. If you need help or have any questions there are General, Surveyor, TS12 and Multiplayer forums for your posts. We are a pretty helpful bunch. If you are buying Trainz the best place is the planet Auran shop, disc version or digital download if you don,t live in Austrailia. You can also buy Trainz from regional distibuters eother directly or via someone else such as Amazon. DO NOT buy it from Steam. Digital downloads have 5 files and take several hours to download. Save the game then install it, turning off your anti virus first. You also need Direct X 9(get it from Forums) even if you have a higher version and the patches, also from forums to bring you up to build 49022 (see right hand corner of launchpad. Also Teamspeak 3 (for multiplayer) I play USR Summer by neilsmith, session version 1.6c by Mmonti which is a great multiplayer game as Mnonti tries to keep it running 24/7 and there are a number of regular players like myself. Thats enough for now. Waiting for your questions, lol.

If i can do it,you can too.

If I can do it, I am sure you can too.I am just learning and most players aren't jerks,and will be helpful.Good idea may be to work a part of the board where no-one is at the moment,or grab a passenger train and work that.The UMR is huge and very nice with plenty of operating room.

If you have a nvidea card like me,might try unticking the fullscreen mode in the settings.Made my connection drop in multiplayer.Why I don't know.works fine now I turned that off.

Just jump in,If your able to connect to the server, its a open session by default and the welcome mat is out.

Another thing,the multiplayer and chat server is down so don't freak out if you see no sessions open,and it takes a minute or two even when it works.

Its worth the hassles in my opinion. Good Luck! See you on the UMR

Thanks for your replies. Mostly, I am worried I'll do something really stupid and get banned of a server... :p But I guess if I stay out of the busy areas that will be better...

Anyway, what's wrong with the Steam edition...? Steam's usually where I get my games...

If you do a search, you'll find lots of posts on the forums from members that have problems with the Steam version. You're better off getting it direct from N3V.

Mike

Hi Tashyakkell,

The reason why veterans including me advise not getting the Steam edition is because it is not patchable. Any issues you do encounter will not have fixes forthcoming, also content that requires a fully patched version will not function on a Steam version.

Also, buying it from Steam means you have to run the risk of losing access to your game completely if Steam decide that you are violating something in their terms of service.

Shane

Thanks again. I think I am going to get it, practice basic controls offline while we wait for the auth server to come back...

One more question... is there anything in particular one needs to do to get set up for multiplayer, or do I just find a game and jump in? (Once it's back online, of course...)

One more question... is there anything in particular one needs to do to get set up for multiplayer, or do I just find a game and jump in? (Once it's back online, of course...)
For the pre installed MP session: Nothing.

For every other MP session:
You need to have all the dependencies installed. In other words: If that session uses train X, Y and Z, you better have those trains downloaded and installed in your game else it wont work. The same goes for anything else that the route or session might need.
How do you discover if you have that? Simple: If the Multiplayer service is up, it will basicly tell you that you are missing stuff. In that case, you restart the game, go to "content" and download the specific route+session.

I,m afraid I must disagree with Oknotsen. I can only relate my own personal experience with multi player but as long as your have the route and multi player session you should be, hopefully, ok. The first time you start the session you will get a box open which will list the dependancies that you need to play te session, that you do not have, along with an invitation to download them. Once done you will go into the game, and if it is somebody elses session then have to wait 10 minutes or so for the network data to download. That said if you are making a route and or session that is intended for multi player you should only use stuff from the Download station (DLS) and payware is strictly persona non grata. I also said in a post on another thread, Teamspeak 3 is useful as some session administrators use it in there sessions.

Last edited:
@ Colourlight,
I think I see the misunderstanding / the unclearaty in what I wrote, so I think I understand why you disagree with me although we are on the same track.

If you have only the route, a MP session playing on that route will still show up, but you might not be able to join that session because even though you get a popup suggesting to download stuff that might not always work. In those situations: Go to the DLS, download that session and dependencies. I have that out of my own experience, so I am pretty sure it is true :).

Back