adding trains without portals

rockster

hi, i remember on the old forums that it was possible to add trains to a layout without portals, my map has iportals for use over the internet, but i would like to be able to get them to send and recieve trains like a portal for testing reasons.

can anybody shed some light on this please

cheers

Gav

Hi Gav
Sounds like your best bet is to copy and save your map under a different name and replace the iportals with the standard ones for testing purposes on the copy
Regards, Bob V

hi, i remember on the old forums that it was possible to add trains to a layout without portals, my map has iportals for use over the internet, but i would like to be able to get them to send and recieve trains like a portal for testing reasons.

can anybody shed some light on this please

cheers

Gav

I think the iPorts can be configered to be internet or not ?

Hi,

Yes, the IPortals can be configured to send via internet or only this computer (something like that wanyway), so they can send trains via the internet to someone else or they can send a train to another IPortal on the same layout\route.

Just to change track slightly ( I know I asked before but still no answer)
Is there a tutorial about iPorts apart from that in the manual?

Just to change track slightly ( I know I asked before but still no answer)
Is there a tutorial about iPorts apart from that in the manual?

hi, iPortals are quite easy to set up, on the first line in the portal config there is a line which says 'portal id', if you wish to recieve trains via this portal you need to give it an id, for people to send you trains they will need to enter this id in thier 'destination id' line, just like if you wish to send someone a train, you would put thier 'portal id' into your 'destination id' in the config of your outgoing portal

hope this makes sense

Gav

Hi Gav
Sounds like your best bet is to copy and save your map under a different name and replace the iportals with the standard ones for testing purposes on the copy
Regards, Bob V

hi thanks, it look like this is what i will have to do, have tried a few rules but none seem to work in the way i want them too

Gav

hi, iPortals are quite easy to set up, on the first line in the portal config there is a line which says 'portal id', if you wish to recieve trains via this portal you need to give it an id, for people to send you trains they will need to enter this id in thier 'destination id' line, just like if you wish to send someone a train, you would put thier 'portal id' into your 'destination id' in the config of your outgoing portal

hope this makes sense

Gav

Yes but the rest
for an inbound line only ( no outbound)
iPortal id (MY NAME)
Send to user (Nobody)
Destination iPortal id (Default) ?
Send trains by internet ?

Check for trains every 1min
Driver Mode after Create Auto

portals?

Being pretty new to trainz(running 2004)i dont have a clue what to do with portals or how to use them,could some one send me an email to explain pleas(in English lol),many thanks Mike:confused:

Yes but the rest
for an inbound line only ( no outbound)
iPortal id (MY NAME)
Send to user (Nobody)
Destination iPortal id (Default) ?
Send trains by internet ?

Check for trains every 1min
Driver Mode after Create Auto

sounds good to me! :)

gav

sounds good to me! :)

gav

So for an OUTBOUND LINE ONLY

iPort id MY NAME
send to user rockstar
Destination iportal Your portal name
send Via internet
check 1 min
mode Auto

the name in the top bar does this have to be the same as
the iPortal id

So for an OUTBOUND LINE ONLY

iPort id MY NAME
send to user rockstar
Destination iportal Your portal name
send Via internet
check 1 min
mode Auto

the name in the top bar does this have to be the same as
the iPortal id

for an out bound iportal there would be no need to enter anything in the'portal id' section, this is just for other users looking for you, the rest is correct, apart from youve spelled my username wrong, (rockster), a simple spelling mistake would spoil it all

Being pretty new to trainz(running 2004)i dont have a clue what to do with portals or how to use them,could some one send me an email to explain pleas(in English lol),many thanks Mike:confused:

i dont think any explaining will help, i suggest sticking 1 on your map and play about with it, there would be too much to explain, if you have specific problems im sure people would be happy to give a few pointers

gav

P.S. once installed on your map, when in the scenery tab in surveyor(the house icon), click on the '?' icon then click on the portal to bring up the control panel for the portal

Last edited:
hi mate
go to the dls and type in portal
there are four there
1 is even an derailment portal

change these with your inet portals and you wont have any problems

they work finefor me

cheers
steven

hi, i found a solution to my problem :) , found a rule called 'unportal' its ace, just add a trackmark and youve got a portal

cheers

Gav

Hi driver32600 --

The readme file in my "YardSwitchingCo 1a" (and all my other routes too) contains information about setting up the portals.

To find the readme, fire up TrainzObjectz, highlight the route, and select the radio button that is at the top left called "Open object folder". Windows File Explorer will open at the folder containing the route. Double click the readme.

Phil

Back