Adding Baseboards

I have working on my Seaview Railroad, which is located in Quonset Point, Rhode Island. I have been laying the track for the railroad. I have been adding baseboards as I went. I got to an area I am working on and tried to add another baseboard with no success. I go into the Topography Tab and just above Advanced I click on Add/Update ground, I click on that and on where I want to add a baseboard, but nothing happens. I have looked in all the manuals I have, but have found nothing. Is there a limit as to how many baseboards you can have? I am stumped!! Any help would very appreciated!!

Bruce

Are you clicking out in the space beyond where your route edge is? I just tried it and it's working for me.

John, thanks for replying. Yes I am clicking beyond my route edge is. I don't know if there is a limit to how many baseboards you can have.

Bruce

No limit (other than your hardware to load the route).

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Try moving to the edge and looking downwards before clicking. Also test it out in a test map.

John, thanks for replying. Yes I am clicking beyond my route edge is. I don't know if there is a limit to how many baseboards you can have.

Bruce

You're welcome.

That's totally weird. I would run a database repair and see if that fixes the problem.

There's no limit that I'm aware of. I've created routes that are quite huge, and the Seaview is pretty short. That is an interesting little railroad that offers a lot of action in real life. They're located about 100 miles south of me in North Kingston, RI

John & Tony,
Thanks for replying to my problem.

Tony: I have had no problem up until now adding baseboards.
John: I will try to do DBR, then open the route. John, the railroad is just up the street from where we live. The minute I saw this railroad I just fell in love with it. The entire Railroad is about 14 miles long. It serves the Quonset Point & Davisville industrial park. Where the railroad is now used to be Quonset Point Navel Air Station the housed the Navy Seabees. I would like to eventually put this into a model railroad. I am using Trainz to experiment with the track plan.

Thanks for your help both John and Tony!!.
Bruce

Tony, I took your suggestion and set up a test route, and it let me add 9 more baseboards without a problem!
John, I took you suggestion and did a DBR, then I called up the route. The results were the same, It would not let me add anymore baseboards.

In my test route I added 9 more baseboards without any problems. My question is, could it be in the way I am saving the route?

Again, thanks for your help!!

Bruce

Edit: I hope I don't have to start all over! But I am willing to do that!

Last edited:
I think you can save your route.

Setup a blank baseboard.

Merge your Seaview route into that.

It doesn't matter that the blank route is at a different height because you can delete that afterwards anyway if you wish.

Save the route with the same name that you were using before maybe with a revision number or something.

I've done this in the past to recover a corrupted route and it worked. That's why I thought of it.

Hopefully this will work for you. I agree starting over is a bit disheartening.

John,
I have followed you on Trainz for a long time and you know your stuff. Many thanks for helping me! John you mentioned the following: I think you can save your route.

Setup a blank baseboard.

It doesn't matter that the blank route is at a different height because you can delete that afterwards anyway if you wish.

Save the route with the same name that you were using before maybe with a revision number or something.

John, I would not know how to do the above. Could you walk me through this procedure? Thanks in advance!!

Bruce

Edit: I opened the same Seaview Railroad file that I have been working with and I added 2 more baseboards on each end, but on the bottom it will not allow me to add any. I totally don't understand!!

Last edited:
John,
I have followed you on Trainz for a long time and you know your stuff. Many thanks for helping me! John you mentioned the following: I think you can save your route.

Setup a blank baseboard.

John, I would not know how to do the above. Could you walk me through this procedure? Thanks in advance!!

Bruce

Edit: I opened the same Seaview Railroad file that I have been working with and I added 2 more baseboards on each end, but on the bottom it will not allow me to add any. I totally don't understand!!

That's definitely weird!

Okay see if this makes sense.

At the main menu when you start TRS19, click on the Driver/Surveyor button if you are there and not already on the screen with the routes showing.

Click on Create Route.
Enter the route information.

A single 720 x 720 blank baseboard will appear.

Click on the Tools menu. (The one with the wrench).
Click on Merge Route...

Search the list for your route.
Click on your route Seaview route and click the checkbox.

After a minute, or maybe a bit more or less,

A smaller window will appear. You may or may not see red exclamation points on the Merge Terrain button.
Zoom out using the scroll wheel until you see where the two routes are located.

Using the arrows, move the Seaview around until it's butting against the single baseboard and not overlapping. If it's overlapping the baseboard will be red.

This part is complete... Notice that the exclamation point over the terrain is cleared if there was one.

Now you need to fix layers if that layer button is red and most likely will be.

For any layer that there's a duplicate, you need to merge them into the other. Nearly 99% of the time it's the route-layer that's the culprit. There's no need to touch the other TransDem layers if there are any because they're not conflicting with anything else.

Click on the lower of the two route-layers *they'll be red*
Click on the merge layers button in the bottom part of the menu.

The layers will be separated with route layers on the left and session layers on the right.
Click on the checkbox to confirm merging.

The process can take a few minutes depending upon the size of the route.

The merge process is complete.

Save your new route so you don't have to do this again and try the add baseboards process again.

John,

Thanks for your help and detail explaining the process. I will give it try probably tomorrow. I have been away all day. I will let you know how I make out. Many thanks for your help.
Bruce

Edit: John I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try your suggestion! I clicked on creating a new route, I filled in a the information: I used Seaview Railroad 2, I entered all the information. I saw 720 x 720 blank baseboard. I clicked on the Tools Menu (the one with the wrench), I looked for Merge Route. I don't see it. I have TRS2019 Platinum Edition. I must have missed something.

Bruce

Last edited:
To all who have helped me on adding baseboards. I have found out why I could not add a baseboard in a particular area. I must have laid track on white area I needed a baseboard. I deleted the track in that area and tried to insert a blank baseboard. It wouldn't let me add another baseboard. Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks, Bruce

To all who have helped me on adding baseboards. I have found out why I could not add a baseboard in a particular area. I must have laid track on white area I needed a baseboard. I deleted the track in that area and tried to insert a blank baseboard. It wouldn't let me add another baseboard. Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks, Bruce

You're welcome!

That's a good one for the books as they say.

Bruce,

Once when I was working on a route in the Rocky Mountains, when I added a baseboard, it was so low compared to the elevation of the neighboring baseboards that it was invisible in the blue fog below. I don't think that matches your situation, but it is one of the odd things that can happen when building routes.

I've occasionally had trouble getting surveyor to add a baseboard, but it has always been resolved by getting closer to the edge and clicking in the open space more carefully. I hope that you can figure out what is stopping you from adding baseboards.

Dave,
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your reply! I have been working on so many editions of Seaview Railroad Route that I am about to start version of Seaview Railroad E. Every time I save the version I have been working on, when I recalled the file it shows me tracks that are laid in the white area below the current baseboard. I delete the tracks on the white, then I try to add another baseboard and the program will not let me. I read somewhere in the manuals for Trainz that if you lay tracks on the white area you can not add any more baseboards. I have proved that out. I can add the baseboards anywhere else on the route, only not where I added the track on the white. This is why I have so many restarts on this route. If you have any suggestions please let me know!!

Bruce

Back