ACS-64: First peak at Amtrak's newest locomotive

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
Amtrak said:
[h=1]SNEAK PEEK PHOTOS OF OUR NEW LOCOMOTIVES[/h]MAY 13, 2013

Today we are debuting the first round of our new electric Siemens locomotives in Sacramento. They’re called Cities Sprinters and they’ll replace our entire electric fleet in the Northeast Corridor by 2014. That’s 70 locomotives, a $466 million investment and the creation and preservation of jobs in 60 cities across the country.
Did we mention that they’re more energy efficient and will be able to reach speeds of125 mph?

Check out four sneak peek photos of our new locomotives!
The Images are pretty big, so I linked them instead:
http://blog.amtrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Press_INR_DSC_2273-450x300.jpg
http://blog.amtrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/INR_DSC_2529-450x300.jpg
http://blog.amtrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Press_INR_DSC_2552.jpg
http://blog.amtrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/INR_DSC_2393-450x434.jpg

Read the whole thing here:
http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/05/four-sneak-peek-photos-of-our-new-locomotives/

peter

I don't see anyone rushing to model that monstrosity for any train sim any time soon. And the overhang over the trucks is so great I'm having a hard time picturing it not eating out the edges of every curved platform it stumbles upon.
Also, I'm not an American, but I'm wondering why they decided to throw money at a German company instead of supporting good ol GE and EMD.

Nicholas

And the overhang over the trucks is so great I'm having a hard time picturing it not eating out the edges of every curved platform it stumbles upon.

LOL I agree :p I hope those things are NOT running on the NEC when i visit it in 1 3/4 months, i would hate to see one of them in front of my camera, they look ugly... :hehe:

I don't see anyone rushing to model that monstrosity for any train sim any time soon. And the overhang over the trucks is so great I'm having a hard time picturing it not eating out the edges of every curved platform it stumbles upon.
Also, I'm not an American, but I'm wondering why they decided to throw money at a German company instead of supporting good ol GE and EMD.

Nicholas

I've seen some other photos & the overhang doesn't look as bad as it does in those pictures, it's still pretty bad, but the angle makes it seem worse.

And why they didn't go GE or EMD, or even MPI; simple. Lowest bidder, Amtrak is a government run private corp, they have to go with the lowest bidder. EMD, GE & MPI don't have a chance of beating out any of the overseas companies. The American companies would have to develop their own electrical system whereas the overseas companies can just put a 'pretty' shell over their existing designs.

peter

Edit: additional video:

Last edited:

The last electrics built by GE (E60s) were built 30 years ago (and they were never very successful in passenger service); EMD, as far as I know, never built electric locomotives. I doubt they have the know-how to build a modern high-speed passenger locomotive.

Much passenger equipment for Amtrak and other U.S. passenger operators is European-designed, even though it is built in the U.S. On the other hand, EMD Diesel freight locomotives are selling quite well in Europe...

Looks like there needs to be a serious update in the aesthetics department... Seriously! Those things look really, really ugly! Why not design it like the HHP-8 or the Acela trainsets? Do they not want people looking at the motive power or something?

Maybe they want to avoid people from railfanning... No photographer wants to take a pic of those things :hehe:

EMD, as far as I know, never built electric locomotives. I doubt they have the know-how to build a modern high-speed passenger locomotive.

They may have also built some others, but one that I'm familiar with is the EMD AEM-7, not obsolete by any standards either. It's the commuter workhorse of the Northeast Corridor and I first got acquainted with it with Railwork's stunning recreation of it in their NEC addon. No slouch too, top speed is a handsome 125mph. Appreciate this beauty while you still can.
:(

Cheerio,
Nicholas

From a visual standpoint, :confused: but as far as cost, economical, and such its probably a good thing...

I honestly like the designs of some of the German locomotives...when they are in Germany. This thing looks out of place in the USA. Oh, and the AEM-7, despite the EMD name, is all Swedish on the inside. Only the bodies were made in the US. You can tell since the maintenance directions inside all end with "bork bork bork"

Oh that's a good one, made me chuckle. I stand corrected.

The info that it (AEM) is based on an Swedish Rc4 is in the wikipedia article you linked to.
:p

That aside, I think the ACS-64 looks A LOT better than the AEM-7's.

IMHO:
GG1 > Acela > HHP-8 > ACS-64 > AEM-7

Huh Bluewater lol, you really like it? :p I always disliked the german train designs, thats why i'm so interested in US trainz, but now...? I know, even if someone would build it in trainz, i would never drive that thing on my NEC and KC lol! :hehe:

The thing with the US diesels selling in Europe, and elsewhere, is they adapted the body to look like a European locomotive. A Class 66 and SD70 share a lot of internal components, but they look nothing alike on the outside. The ACS, however, still looks like a Eurosprinter if someone thought it would be funny to stick North American couplers and hoses on it. Actually, it looks even sillier since they also stuck those weird Spiderman eyehole looking lights on it too.

:'( I am saying this because on there page they say that these will replace all there electric am fleet of trains by 2014 so that would mean NO MORE ACELA!?:':)confused::'( worst part is that I have never been able to ride the Acela or get a good video of it because riding in the car to NJ I saw an Acela but the first time it was in the distance and all you see in the vid is the faint sight of the Acela with me in the background saying" I got I got YES!:hehe:" because that was my first time seeing an Acela in person. next I was riding to NJ to get to a hotel and the next day was a funeral this was in Dec. but anyways I went so my nana also would not feel lonely on the drive and there ended up being an Acela that came by and in my excitement I accidently double taped record and all you hear is me saying is ''Acela!" and then the tail end passes by but hopefully this summer I can get down with my dad he has really been wanting to go see an Acela or ride on one but the cost is to high and he's been to busy

I like a few foreign trains. The Mallard, The Flying Scottsman, the TGV, the Skinkasen 1st Gen,the ICE, and a few freight locos. I like pretty much every US loco. Except those long hood Geeps. Ugh...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these are only replacing the AEM-7s and HHP-8s. The Acelas will be replaced with something yet to be decided down the road.

Yeah, I talked to an Amtrak Engineer about 3 weeks ago, he told me that the AEM-7 was going to still be in service on the Keystone Corridor, and that The HHP-8 and ACS-64 will run side by side.

Back