A question about shadows in TS12 (and some own thoughts that I have about the game)

ekankal

Hi.
Is there any way you can turn off the shadows shown ON THE TRAINS in TS12???
And I do not mean the shadows shown on land/the ground, but those on the trains themselves.

I'm sorry to say it, but unfortunately it has N3V totally fail when it comes to recreating how the shadows appear on the trains.
As it looks now, it's shadows on a lot of strange and totally inaccurate surfaces, which unfortunately destroys more than it gives a natural impression in the game.

The game has never been known to have been able to re-create shadows or bright surfaces, etc. in a natural and reality life manner,
but as the shadows appears now it is a total fiasco in MY OPINION.

I certainly do not want to be rude in any way, but I can not express myself in another way, I'm just honest and sincere about what I think.

Personally I think N3V should have put more effort into these things, and worked a little more (NO, MUCH more, hehe) on this with backwards compatibility, instead of "destroying" more and more items as each with each new service pack / hot fix released.
Unfortunately, it seems that you get to spend more and more time to repair items nowadays instead of adding time to have fun and be able to use the game as it was probably intended, JUST PLAY AND HAVE FUN.

Makes you wonder what new users of the game (who never have played Trainz before), get the idea of ​​the game, with all this "strange problems" which probably experienced at a beginner.
And that's more and more new customers who will supply N3V in the future I suppose, but the question is whether they are more and more when the game (unfortunately) gets worse and worse reputation because of these things.

Also I know of a large number of Trainz users, GREAT creators of 3D models, etc. which have abandoned the game and moved on to other simulators instead, because of the above reasons (not the shadow question, hehe), and it is a worrying trend according to me, which I think N3V should consider more in the future.

Kind regards

// Erik from Sweden

PS. Sorry for my bad English.

The goalposts have moved regarding shadows in TS12, what you are seeing are the original shadow meshes that assumed they would only cast on the ground. Proper TS12 shadows look great but the meshes need redoing.

Paul

Hi Erik,

I can't disagree with you on this! :) The shadows do look pretty bad with the older equipment as Paul says.

You can turn them off in the display options in launcher. I think, this might make things look better, but I'm not sure since I've never done that.

John

I guess Paul H is referring to the new(ish) requirements for shadow meshes. These can produce quite good and realistic shadows despite the shadow mesh limitations. But if those limitations are exceeded then Trainz reverts to the simple boxy shadows. They don't look so bad on diesels but weird on steam locos.

You have to keep the shadow mesh under 1333 polys which is quite hard.
You can put a shadow mesh on the fixed bogie of a steam loco though
which gives you double the polys to play with.

Paul

Back