A few questions regarding a new freight route I'm setting up on my route...

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place.

Hi Trainzers,

I'm hoping someone can advise me on this. I know I don't ask questions very often, but this is needed in order to help me set up the route.

The route I am setting up is a steel coil from Margam (South Wales from memory) to several locations including LLanwern (Llanwern Exchange Sidings),Wolverhampton (Wolverhampton Steel Terminal), Middlesborough (Middlesboro' Dawson Ayrton), Round Oak (Near Dudley) and Hartlepool (Hartlepool BSC 20" Mill).

My questions are as follows:

1. I understand that the buildings at these locations are likely to be steelworks (apart from possibly Wolverhampton and Round Oak). Is there such a building that can accept coal/iron ore to produce steel, or am I better using a multiple industry to do this and try and locate a scenery version?
2. The wagons I intend to use are the BLA, BYA, JSA and BWA wagons for the steel side and HHA for the coal/iron ore side. I understand that the HHA,JSA and BWA wagons are industry compatible, but cannot find industry compatible versions of the BLA and BYA wagons. Am I looking in the wrong place, or will I need to manually make it industry compatible?

I am using TS12 SP1 HF4, so any suggestions could do with being compatible with this version although I can fix errors fairly easily.

Shane

Last edited:
Apologies for having to bump my own thread, but I'm still hoping someone can help me with these questions. I have a feeling that not everyone actually read the original post at the time.

Shane

Hi, Shane.

I'm not familiar with the industry nor rolling stock from the United Kingdom, so I wish I could help you there.

Do you remember Angelah, who used to be on the forums occasionally?. I think she is located in South Wales. Maybe a PM or email (if you have it) to her might prove useful.

Good luck in your search!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thankyou for that bit of info. I will see if I can contact Angelah.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any relevant information (as the steel handling facilities are based across the UK), I'm interested to hear about it.

Shane

Hello Shane,

I'm a bit confused regarding your question 1. All the 'Steelworks' you mention in the various locations have many different buildings for different functions of course, Margan which is really Port Talbot, and Wolverhampton, or, Bilston, had coke ovens and rolling mills, blast furnaces, hot strip mills, etc, etc.
Do a bit of Googling and Wikipedia research, you can do it for each individual location if you want I'm sure there is enough information around on t'internet.
As regards available scenery in Trainz on the DLS, this might be a bit more tricky, I haven't checked for specifics, but, if you wanted a mash up of buildings, Kenichiro did a brilliant factory site with different buildings, check out his Kuid:117608 Industrial Plants, there's a steelworks by Beko on KUID:132608:100027, and don't forget guys like Phil Skene's Industrail layout may give you lots of ideas, a bit of imagination may be required in certain spots, but, as Trainzers, we all have that in abundance......:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your response ex-railwayman. That will probably help me on the industry side. Any ideas on question 2?

Shane

Hey bud,

To answer question 2 for you as simple as possible. Yes you would have to make the cars industry compatible unless a version comes along that has them setup for such duties.

Thankyou Chance. I've only got one awkward decision to make though and that's whether to look into visible loads or non-visible loads.

Shane

Hmmm, I was going to ask what era/period, you're basing your route/project on, the vast majority of content available is for 1960-1990, I could suggest you look for the following creators, some of these are built-in to TS12, but, I've never fiddled around much with built-in content so, unsure if they're set up for industry compatability, they should be, or, editable to comply.

TomYoung kuid 92263 - steel and coal, did some nice NCB 21t Hoppers for the North East on the DLS.
GaryGreene Kuid 174088 - mixed rolling stock all sorts
Pikkabird kuid 2512 - mixed coal hoppers HAA/HBA etc
tmz06003 kuid 283805 - mixed rolling stock all sorts
Perchpole kuid 44988 - 1960/1970s Bogie Bolster coil carriers

Cheerz. ex.

EDIT, If folks have the Payware route Potteries Loop Line, there are some nice Iron Ore hoppers and suchlike available created by kemplen, and some authentic steelworks buildings by Paul Hobbs, etc.

Last edited:
Back