A Day At The Museum

Zorronov

Envelope Pusher
I thought I would post a few pics I took the other day at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento...

npcoastno12front533x800tp3.jpg

npcoastno12front2533x80cj4.jpg

fgereefer800x533uj6.jpg

wpf7no913front1533x800lz9.jpg

huntingtonno1bell800x53ao0.jpg

Hope you like..:)

Fred

Thanks all! The shots of the Gov. Stanford didn't turn out the way I had hoped...new camera...newbie photographer. :D

A few more...

cabforwardno4294800x533cp8.jpg

npdepot2800x533ab3.jpg

bjw462model800x533wk6.jpg

sacramentosouthern12408hp8.jpg

drivingwheels800x533xh4.jpg

Fred

P.S. Adam, I have been taking a brief hiatus from the Hudson Route but will be returning to it within the next few days. I'll post updates then.

Cool :) The fam used to go there by boat. The museum is near the docks, and there's also some cool pubs in between the two.

Cheers

AJ

My wife and I stayed on the Delta King (the converted riverboat to the left in this pic) so the museum was right next door. The swing bridge over the Sacramento River is in the background. I'll post some "action" shots of it tomorrow.

deltakingandswingbridgeqq6.jpg

Cheers,
Fred

P.S. Oh...and the pubs...it was St. Pat's Day so...:D

Very nice shots

I have been to that museum , it is a very good train museum, the best I have been to ...
You have taken some very nice shots...

What sort of camera and lenes did you use ?

I just love the way they turned out.

My pictures did not work out as well because of the low lighting in the museum.

Thank you for shring the pictures and brining back the meories of the visit to the museum

bigboy2

Yep AJ...right next to it. We ate there a couple of times...good place...Rio City Cafe.

Thanks bigboy2. I'm using a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with the lens that came with it...EFS 18-55mm with image stabilization (good thing too! :D ) It works well in low light but would have been better with a tripod, since the shutter speed has to be slow. I have a tripod but, of course, I left it at home.

Cheers,
Fred

Fabulous photos Zorronov, thank you for sharing them with us, it's always nice for others around the world to see these things. I am a bit of a museum bum myself, and went to the Wells Fargo Bank museum on my last visit to Los Angeles a couple of years ago, unfortunately, it was too dark inside and my photos didn't come out at all well, but it was nice to see some old American Railroad exhibits, you guys over there certainly know how to put on a good show.....:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

My wife kept saying how impressed she was with the museum and, although she likes trains, I wouldn't describe her as a "railfan."

A few more...

jupitermodel800x533kr8.jpg

wpf7no913front2800x533on5.jpg

diningcarcook800x533ya2.jpg

spvanderbilttender800x5xg5.jpg

prideofthepacific650x53mo0.jpg

Ok...I got a little "artsy" with that last one...;)

Cheers,
Fred

Wonderful shots yet again!
I must go out a railfan so more now that the weather is getting better.:D

Thanks for the update as well.:)

Cheers,
Adam

In my house everything is HO trains, trainz, or monster trucks!:hehe: So she's used to it by now:wave:

Did you grab a photo of the inside cab of the cabforward?

I would love to see it if you did.

Lorin

Ok Lorin...this is looking backward in the cab of the Cab Forward...:D

cabforwardcab800x533du0.jpg

It would have turned out better with a tripod...next time I won't be so lazy.

vtrrtender800x533nr2.jpg

vtrrtendertrucks800x533qx2.jpg

We drove over to Donner Pass which is only about 90 miles from the museum. Highway 80 goes right through it. In the background, you can see Donner Lake and one of the snow sheds.

donnerpass1800x533xw6.jpg

We were pressed for time and, alas, there were no trains coming through while we were here. I did, however, get to try out my new telephoto lens. I like to title some of my photos (and screenshots.) So, in that tradition, I think I'll call this one...

Right Place, Wrong Time

donnersnowshed1800x533zd4.jpg

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred,

Donner Pass shot's look good, just need a train coming out of that snow shed.

Never there when you need them!:hehe:

Lorin

:D I had better luck back at the museum.

Some outdoor shots...

upobservationcar800x533cy1.jpg

sacramentosouthern12402yj5.jpg

Immediately adjacent to the museum is the double-decker swing bridge...built in 1911.

swingbridge1800x533tv1.jpg

While I was standing there they gave her a test run...whew!...still works. :)

swingbridge2800x533ef2.jpg

swingbridge3800x533wg7.jpg

Cheers,
Fred

P.S. Thanks Bill, for the tip on this one.

A few minutes later a GP38-2 (UP623) and SW1500 (UP1181) came along, switching a covered hopper and some tankers...

up6231800x533gq3.jpg

up6232800x533mk2.jpg

up6235800x533oq7.jpg

up11811800x533ch6.jpg

up11812800x533lr4.jpg

Fred

Your welcome Fred. If I would have known you were coming this way I could have met you and said HI.

That looks like the same two locos crossing that swing bridge from when I was their almost 1 year ago. Where's the boat?;)

Bill

Back