BAH ! HUMBUG !! AURAN !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said so?
Anarchy is, should be, a way of life where you police of your self, responsible e a solidarity person.
Anarchy, as you say, is what we have today where everybody can do want they want justa because want to, without any care with OTHERS !

You are quite correct, I should have juxtaposed "Barbarism" with "Civilization".
Anarchy has come to mean a "state of disorder" as a colloquial definition here in the US, when in reality it does more accurately refer to a state with no government, where the people decide together best how to govern themselves.

However, as you say, without the rule (of law, here in the US), the populous would just do whatever they wanted to do, and the likelihood of any type of order would be remote.

Thanks for bringing my attention to my gaffe'.

Ed:wave:

Now is not the time to be divisive. No matter what we think of Auran or the current or former employees, or the Mods our common interest remains Trains and Trainz. [snip] In short, this group of like minded individuals will continue on in one form or another, and we all need to make our peace with each other....or risk splintering off into groups, some of which will inevitably become, well..."not so nice".
This 'revelation' seems to be rather late in coming to some and in my opinion, too late. The damage is already done.

Humbug is an archaic term meaning "hoax", or "jest". While the term was first attested in 1751 in student slang, its etymology is unknown. It is known, however, that it was used as profanity centuries ago, in places such as Great Britain. Its present meaning as an exclamation is closer to "nonsense", or "gibberish", while as a noun, a humbug refers to a fraud or impostor, implying an element of unjustified publicity and spectacle.

According to Wikipedia.
Ed

What's the meaning of "HUMBUG" ?
thanks

João,

Several meanings are possible but coming from the one who wrote it, I think he meant: Rubbish! (My apologies for that! :confused: )

1. Something intended to deceive; a hoax or fraud.
2. A person who claims to be other than what he or she is; an impostor.
3. Nonsense; rubbish.
4. Pretense; deception.

Alberte :wave:

BAH ! HUMBUG !!
comes from the timeless Christmas story "A Christmas Carol" written by Charles Dickens in December 1843. refer to the first page of free download of the book from

http://www.stormfax.com/1dickens.htm

Basically, it is the story of a mean, miserly, profit driven business man named Ebeneezer Scrooge who was particularly nasty to his employees at Christmas time. Bah Humbug is the term used by Scrooge to describe his attitude towards the goodwill between mankind at Christmas. He is haunted in a dream by three ghosts, one from Christmas past, another from Christmas present and the third from Christmas future. What is revealed to him in his dream scares the living daylights out of him, makes him realise his impropriety towards his fellow man and hastens him to turn his indiscretions around.

A similar plot occurs in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" where Cousin Eddy kidnaps Clarke's boss and holds him to ransom until he witnesses the misery his decision to discontinue staff bonuses at Christmas time, has caused. Thus my reference to "law abiding citizen".

A distinct similiarity is drawn between Scrooge and Auran. Thus the title.

Merry Christmas to every-one, even if you don't believe in it!!!!!!

Sel

Last edited:
I was saddened by the news of Lance's departure from Auran. I have known Lance since he was prr001. Like Sel, I have known Lance to be a man of great character, whose passion for Trainz in both his business role, and his personal life, have been tremendous. His outlook on life, and of Trainz, was always positive, even when many people thought otherwise. He will be sorely missed from this community, but I hope that he continues to share his passion for Trainz as a community member. I also extend my gratitude to you for everything you have done for us, either with the Trainz shows, or as a member of SEQTUG.

To Alan, best wishes for your future endeavours, and I hope Rob can return to Trainz soon.

Chris

Let us all hope that Lance, Alan and Rob won't be strangers to this Forum. We can't expect an input at the moment as I'm sure they all have other priorities, but I look forward to hearing from them when they're resettled (Which I'm sure they will be).
There is a lot of talk in this thread about the demise of this Forum, it will be a very sad day for all if this is allowed to happen.
I believe that it is up to each one of us to ensure that this community stays the way it is.
I am fortunate enough to be of an age where I can remember when communities were just that. Front doors were left open and the Welcome Mat meant what it said, Kids (including Myself) would call neighbours Auntie and Uncle and neighbors would band together when someone was in need.
Sadly, those times are long gone, but I feel that Forum's such as this is the last remnants of those days.
May I take this opportunity, whatever your beliefs, to wish each one of you a very merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. And perhaps a special toast to absent friends.
Cheers
Pete.

I meant for this thread not to name names and to be a of a more generalised "kick in the pants" for Auran for the timing at which this has all occurred. When it comes down to it, it is Auran's concern how they choose to conduct their........business??? We as customers and supporters don't have to agree with it.
No disrespect intended, motorman, but when is a good time to lay someone off (I won't use the term 'fired' as it suggests they were sacked for something they did/didn't do)? ok, the timing was unfortunate, but would you rather Auran had waited until Lance and Alan had got back into the office after the Christmas/New Year break?

Hi All,

This is a dark time for Auran, we have had to down size in all aspects of the company. Trainz is still going ahead the current Team is Me (Aidan) Lead Programmer/Co-producer, James Moody Programmer/Community Manager, Megan Berry 2D/3D Artist. Rob will be back very soon we hope too.

Trainz is going to continue to keep going ahead and it is very sasd to see these people go, but it was a decision that had to be made for the sake of the project. Trainz IP is held but Auran Games and this is a profitable company!!! Auran Developments which is a separate company is the company that when into adminstration this company hired all the staff, hence why they were all fired. Thus the Trainz IP as well as all the products related to Trainz are still owned by Auran (ITrainz, DLS, Source Code and Art source).

I would like you to all know that we are reading the forums as much as we can and are trying to keep you informed as much as we can, but the transition has been very quick which has made it very hard for the staff remaining behind. I think the key to helping Trainz survive the troubling time is to keep the community going. We are going to do all that we can to help you but if it looks like we are not listening we are, it's just a bit harder for us now.

I will personally try and chec the forums as much as i can over the next few weeks as it is christmas here.

All the best

Aidan Millott - Lead Programmer/Co-Producer - Trainz Team Auran
Just three! Wow! Not even enough for a lunch hour game of Bridge.

Hi,

Don't worry about the number for people still on the team. For TC1&2 there was only Me, Rob and Megan on the development side and James start about 2 weeks before release. So 3 people can do a lot. What this does mean is that we have had to cut back your support to the community, but we will still help out as much as we can.

All the Best

Aidan

Hang in there and the best of luck to the team. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum (and some not so helpful) and we will try our best to be patient through this very difficult time. We will all miss the rest of the departed team and I'd like to wish you and them a very Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back