Australian screenshots

Totally agree Patchy! Willem2 put his hand up to create every station building on the Southern line for my project. Amazing stuff. I would be no where without these talented gents. I can't thank them enough.:clap: Also Patchy your new route looks flawless. Love it!

-Kent

Great work Kent. Reminds me of the afternoon the family spent there only a week or so ago on the day the Steamer went to Toowoomba and back. Got some great pics and the crew were nice enough to let me into the cab. Never got to tell them I was staff but it was a great afternoon. We had such a good time, going back down there when they go for a trip to Wallangarra.
Regards
Glen

G'day!

Just though I'd share this evening's work.

Cheers!

Jake.

@Jake - what are the fences called in that screenshot?

@Patchy
- Thanks for that mate. Yes I am aware of the ASSCO, and have planned to join them. I havent joined them yet as it will be a long time till I can run with them.

Here is QR DH #52 arriving into Logan Village

-Cheers

Good afternoon all,

Today we view a ARHS tour to Logan Village with QR A10 #6. While at Logan Village and waiting to depart, A newly built QR 1460 class diesel #1462 passes with a Brisbane bound cattle train from Beaudesert. Please enjoy.

-Cheers

G'day all,
Speaking or ARHS tours, J512 makes the cross into wheat country with a hills bound excursion...

c9d0668f3a4d08fab0dc4477bf702de6.jpg

491c1b43ebadd879b81ed607fd6829d0.jpg

6cf7fc70a6129db4c596da3eb559d923.jpg

6571edf15b0f4a9765f840857d2ea9f6.jpg

6044bc24ed1c8e0df1c723f2bc17f84f.jpg

95585e343e224884fb4377c1ca769b39.jpg

Cheers
Stevo

G 540 testing it's Dynamic Brake on a 1in45 Grade

azervich_20131021_0023_zps88a4e425.jpg~original

Hi Vinny,

I noticed something odd about the G Class, it seems it may be way too wide or the bogeys are way too narrow, the brake cylinders are meant to align almost with the outer panels, roughly a total of 2.85m for the bogey width over brake cylinders.

Cheers.

Hey all,

This is the AURAN art source I've been messing around with, found it a couple of weeks ago on the wiki while I was trying to find a Gen_sd art source to help me with an interior project for the P Class, didn't find one though, I put the WIP L Class bogeys on it and gauge converted it along with some changed to the mesh, mainly the normals-map and enviro map I added and that's about it and deleted the coupler's, fitted Zec's VR coupler's.

azervich_20131022_0002_zpsde13013f.jpg~original

Just a question for some of those QR Modelers, is the long end No.1 or No.2? also some of the photos I looked at shows the bogeys are in alignment with the fuel tank width wise, does this mean QR didn't use Standard Frames and had their own frames cast specifically for 3ft 6in? these ones in the SS are standard type seen on the BG/SG lines.

Cheers.

Hello,

@azervich - That is correct, the QR bogeys were aligned with the fuel tank width wise. They ,made there own frames cast specifically for there 3ft 6in network.

-Cheers

Azervich,
The only engines I know of that had a discrimination of No 1 or 2 end was the electric locos. No 1 end on these was the one with the fridge and closer to the WC facility. Otherwise both ends were basically the same. The 'regular' locos (as in your pic) were just cab or long end leading to the crews.
Regards
Glen
P.S. With the 1 or 2 end set-up, we always tried to get 1 end to lead north for the Driver heading up.

Last edited:
Ah I see, so in Victorian Terms No.1 end is the Long End, we Number our ends 1 and 2 based on the console setup, if it's on Lefthand Side while facing Long end then that loco is No.1 end for long and No.2 end for Short, if the Loco has the console on Righthand Side then we call long end No.2 and short end No.1, when this happens, like the S Class and Series 3 X Class, they cannot run Long end and Must be turned or run with another locomotive.

Reason why I asked is Auran have Short end as No.1 meaning loco cannot run long end and must be turned.

Cheers.

I Remember when an Ex QR locomotive came to WA classified as a DD. It was heading to Geraldton and because of modifications on the steps to get up onto the locomotive were sticking out just that little to much it hit a station platform on the way. The width of them are similar to the WA locomotives, just the height is quite low. Queensland drivers must be quite short :p...

They look allot better now, doesn't have the massive gap between the frames and the wheels.

azervich_20131022_0019_zpsb8250daa.jpg~original

I remember back in early 2000s a Rail Grinder came from WA on it's way to Melbourne and was stopped at Geelong for a funny reason... it wouldn't clear the platform at North Shore, lol.

Cheers.

trainfan2017, QRIG page I found tells me the DD class were 2100's sent over in 2007.

Azervich, Looking pretty good. You may also find different ones with letters at the end of the number. These stood for different modifications done to the locos. Some were due to the areas they worked in. If I remember correctly, H was for ones that had a mod done to the fuel tank because with the bigger tank they were too heavy for the grade of rail. Most common here in SEQ were D's. This meant the second drive station was removed and they were for Driver Only Operation or DOO as we called it. Another person was provided to get the loco to its destination or enable it to be turned. Shunters were trained at one stage to do this or a second loco was used, cab facing in the opposite direction. The driver would then simply change ends.
Regards
Glen

Last edited:
Some of the prefixes used on the 1550/2400/2450 2470 2100/2130/2150/2170 classes

A - IIRC was to designate to run on Central Queensland Coal field railways at full fuel load, (central Queensland coal fields had a higher Axle Load.)
F - IIRC was to designate adjustments made to the fuel loads to increase their range, by using lighter or smaller auxiliary items.
H - Fitted with Command Control Equipment for use with Locotrol Equipment. May have also been reused for another function after being replaced on the Coal RUns
S - Single Control stand fitted.
D - was for Driver only Operation

there maybe others and these are off the top of my head i have a book that lists them when i find them i will adjust or add to them if it has not been done already by others.

Ghosty

Thanks Ghosty,
Although I had thought it would be patchy that would jump in with that info. :hehe: They sound pretty on the mark from what I was told/remember too so even without your book you've done well. The 'A' and 'F' ones sound very familiar. I do recall 'A' being something to do with Coal and Minerals at the time and 'F' was about the fuel tank.
Regards
Glen

Last edited:
Hi Vinny,

I noticed something odd about the G Class, it seems it may be way too wide or the bogeys are way too narrow, the brake cylinders are meant to align almost with the outer panels, roughly a total of 2.85m for the bogey width over brake cylinders.

Cheers.

It is not, the G/BL cab is 2.98m in width and the bogies are 2.77m in width from brake cylinder on one side to the one on the other side in my 3DS Max. Logically, bogies are always a shade narrower than the body. It stands to reason, a locomotive stops in a yard curve, curved platforms etc. (as example), then some parts of the bogies will protrude past the overall width of the locomotive, should a bogey be the same width. I heard of examples of QL locomotives getting transferred to WA, some of the bogey steps got caught in platforms or such on the way.

Then there is the EVER PRESENT lack of any bogey drawings, to take measurements from for creating, hence most bogies are guesses in width, although their length is sometimes available. Lack of drawings are even worse for modern OZ locomotives, none of the builders (UGL, Downer EDi, Chinese build CSR/Bradken Classes and others) will supply or one can get any drawings. Period. Hence again, this is all a guess, I call it a guesstimate and most of the times it works out reasonably correctly when creating such locomotives.

My created G/BL Class bogies are, as said, 2.77m in width, as is shown, sometimes not too clear in pictures available from the internet, as RailFans taking such pictures NEVER EVER think of the poor content creator and these pictures often are useless for good creating. If I take my own pictures of locomotives I create(d), I usually end up with several hundred of pictures taken from a content creators point of view, hence my created AN Classes, CLP/CLF Classes, SCT Classes and the odd other are mostly correct, as I took pictures of these in details and scale, as I can scale the height of a 90 degree sideon taken picture from its known length etc.

So you see, it is not always easy to create but my created G/BL Class bogies are 2.77m in width from brake cylinder to brake cylinder, the created G/BL Class cabs are, as said, 2.98m in width (as also per drawing), hence the bogies are only 10.5 cm shorter in width on either side then the cab. Or in other words, the cab is only 10.5 cm wider over the bogies on each side, which I think is pretty normal. Which can be seen here:

xg.jpg

xg1.jpg

xg2.jpg

and in game:

xg3.jpg

xg4.jpg

xg5.jpg

Further, I do not see WHY I have to justify myself with my creations, you get these for FREE, I toil over these with MY own blood, sweat and sometimes tears. I do not see WHY I should continue with creating, especial now where I go through a very distressing stage health wise and I certainly would be MUCH better off saying, why the hell should I create any more.

This might all sound like sour grapes to some of you but YOU are NOT going though what I am presently have to go through when visiting the hospital regularly until the middle of February, when I hopefully know more of my health situation. Some of you already know what ails me, I can assure you, it is not pleasant and I can surely do without criticizing or picking on some of my creations as I usually create to the best of my ability. Anyway, for the time being I stopped all creating activity of the G/BL Classes (not on account of above criticism) but as I currently do not feel too good health wise.

Please no sorry or sympathy posts, I know what I have got and I alone have to deal with this, hopefully positive.

VinnyBarb

Back