How to reduce lag

josefdoc

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if there was anything I could do to reduce lag in Trainz. I have a Radeon 5450 HD graphics card.

Thanks!

Hello,

There are ways to reduce lag in Trainz.

First, you can try lowering the in-game detail sliders. This is probably the best way. I would start with texture detail, then scenery detail. If that's not enough, play with the draw distance and fog as well.

Also switching between OpenGL and DirectX. Your card is an ATI one, so DirectX may be favourable in your case.

I hope that helps.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Try rebooting your router and or modem.

Though I dont know what your graphics card has to do with lag?

Or avoid MP sessions as they tend to be laggy and stick with SP sessions.

Hello,

There are ways to reduce lag in Trainz.

first, you can try lowering the in-game detail sliders. This is probably the best way. I would start with texture detail, then scenery detail. If that's not enough, play with the draw distance and fog as well.

Graphic sliders have nothing to do with lag.

Try rebooting your router and or modem.

Though I dont know what your graphics card has to do with lag?

Or avoid MP sessions as they tend to be laggy and stick with SP sessions.

Graphic sliders have nothing to do with lag.

I believe josefdoc is referring to low frame rates as opposed to latency?

On to the question, bar making software tweaks such as refining graphical settings and shutting down unnecessary services, there may not be much to gain. Especially with a GPU only being a Radeon HD 5450.

Also make sure your machine is running cool. If the cpu and gpu get really warm or hot, this can cause your machine to stutter as the throttle back to keep from overheating.

Hi guys, yes I am talking about frame rates, I thought there was a way you could go into the options menu and change them.

Thanks!

Best thing to do is run a non-networked (aka standalone) machine, with no anti-virus, no firewall, no network connection at all. You could very well see your framerates double or more. However, that solution works best with a fresh installation, and works best if you have a second partition for internet, DLS and other things, and you can't have a totally non-networked machine with the newer Windows OS'.

Last edited:
Back