ZecRail Trainz Content

Well lets see how well I've done...

This should be all the available VR Canadian Red Broad Gauge locomotives on either the DLS or included with Tane dlx. If I understand what is going on these should all be contemporaneous and, more or less, individual models or variants. E.G. no duplicate locomotives with different numbers but not missing any either.

So how did I do?

Last edited:
OK.
Lot of engines for one location.
Did you get any stutter preparing this?

Oh no, not at all, but I did not do a lot of running around yet. And I still have to sort out compatible rolling stock. (assuming I have the right engine set)

Now this http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?125354-Updateing-UP-M10000&p=1482875#post1482875 is a lot of engines! FPS was very low but hardly any stutter amazingly enough.

I have not checked FPS for the VR session yet.

And I still have to sort out compatible rolling stock. (assuming I have the right engine set)

If your asking if those locomotives all run together, then yes, Canadian Red was introduced from 1903 and phased out to a all Black at the end of WWI (1918-1920), if your running say 1906-1912 era then you can have some Green Locos as most didn't get painted to Canadian Red till they went in for re-boilering (1904-1909), the E's and D's (not to be confused with DD) started to see withdraw from 1920.

Me and Zec also have a bunch of rolling stock under construction/planned to suit 1890-1920's, here's a batch of open wagons I'm working on.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Azervich/azervich_20160210_0003_zps7gqjv38k.jpg~original

2016 will probably see a bit of VR stuff released, at the moment we're lacking in rolling stock :( .

Cheers.

Yep that's what I was asking, what I know about Aussie trainz can be inscribed on the head of a pin with a chisel. Since I have this perfectly nice Broad Gauge route I thought I ought to play with it and in looking at the sessions that come with it there is not a lot of variety of engines in them. When I looked at the rolling stock used in the sessions I noted that most seemed to have a "T" designation so I'm guessing that would be approximately the right stuff. No clue really. :hehe:

Ah, the T means Type, as in variety, like T1 would mean the very first design with T2 being the second, take the I Wagons for example, they where built from late 1850's all the way to the late 1920's and have 17 versions?, so every few years they would improve on design, like the Type 1 could carry 4 tons, Type 2 could carry 6 tons, Type 4 could carry 8 tons and so on, then their where the all Steel construction from 1900's.

My stuff will be easy to work out era as I put a - then year, take the S Flat wagons for example, they show a year when they where in service.

Cheers.

Hi All
Apologise for not posting, has been a very busy few weeks :)

Nice looking track, Zec, although maybe the sleepers look just a bit too shiny?

Also the slip crossing to the left of the first picture seems to be missing something?!:eek:

They were definitely too bright at that point :) I have toned them down a bit, and the point timbers now blend in a lot better!

The 'slip' is correct as far as I'm aware. Not sure of the VR name (I think it may be 'interlaced turnouts'), but I know of a few in the UK where they were called a 'Barry Slip'.

Norm, that's a fantastic lineup. About the only ones missing would be the 'WW1 red' versions, which operated at the same time as the Canadian Red versions. From what little info I have found, the VR simply stopped painting the chocolate brown on locos sometime around WW1 (possibly late during that period, or possibly even after the war). I've worked on it appearing from around 1913, so for the route you would definitely have seen a mix of both liveries.

Once I finish the updates, the two 'VR DD class' (type 1 and type 2) packs include a couple more variants of these locos in the Canadian Red and WW1 red liveries (unfortunately, they'll still be the same numbers - to do list is for another variant of the class lol :) ). There's quite a bit of rolling stock in development though. Between Aaron's open wagons, my T vans, and a few other items, there should be a good range in the nearish future :)

If you don't mind mixing eras a little (the rolling stock, except the white vans, is suitable for up to about 1930/40 if you don't want to be too picky about things like lettering - I should release red versions of those vans as well sometime soon... :) ), there's a few black locos that will look the part on the route, even if they will be a little dated now. Billegulla's pre MFE A2 class, my 'pre MFE' K103, and the black 'type 2' DD class (when available for TANE) are all suitable for post 1920, and Bill's MFE A2 class (if you run it with the earlier coal tender) would be suitable for 1940s, alkong with my K103 model again. The route itself, apart from the lack of overhead wires at Lilydale, the complete bridge at Yarra Glen is suitable for anything from 1913-approx 1950/60. So, go nuts with the modellers license and have some fun ;)

Granted, Bill's models are modelled at standard gauge, but it doesn't look too bad when you're running the train :)

And now for some progress...

vr-v-class-69.jpg

I have finally finished mapping the bogies on V499, and we can now really start to see the full impact of the pin striping on the green. I'm very please with how this has come out! Still need to do the tender (and bogies), as well as the number plates and a few other bits and pieces :)

Regards
Zec

Hi all!

Steamrail open weekends have just passed, and whilst there. I purchased a set of DD 893 numberplates, which were fitted to D3 639 during the 100 years of Thompson Foundry celebrations. The 893 looks to be not prototypical to what would have actually been on the real plates. But I'm not sure and if anyone can give any verification as to the style of the numbers I would appreciate it.

Aidyn

Hi All
I thought I'd post a small update on the goings on of late. First and foremost is that time has limited how much I have been able to work on content lately, but things are still progressing. Alongside the V class and other stuff, I have been working on updates to some of my DLC packs.

At the moment an update for the VR DD Class T2 locomotive DLC pack is in review with N3V. This update, which is for TANE only (this is due to the way N3V's DLC system works, but also allows me to take advantage of some TANE features), will bring the locos completely up to the same specs as the versions included with TANE, including a new lowest LOD and the improved scripts/sounds.

They also feature improvements to the cab views to add a small amount of photo textured weathering, as well as corrections to the Canadian Red livery to better match the current information I have relating to this livery. I think the colours fit much better than the previous colours :) I plan to update other existing locos, except possibly the versions included with TANE, to match this when I am able to.

I'll post a full feature list, and what changes I can remember, when they become available. The pack does also include a free-roam session for the full set of locos on the Healesville route as well.

The next DLC pack update is the Type 17 I wagons. Again, this update is for TANE only, and adds a new lowest LOD (of about 10 triangles total per wagon). It also introduces some new scripted features, including better handling of door animations, and automatic setting of the tarp on specific queues. It also fixes some minor bugs that came up in TANE. I have also taken advantage of the new automatic numbering system in TANE, which has allowed me to give all generic variants the complete number range of I wagons for the periods they represent (waaaaaay more than the original 70 numbers for the scripted numbers). The pack will also have a session, scripted with a 'free roam' option at the end, to showcase some of the features of the I wagons.

After this, I will be updating the Type 1 DD class locos to match the Type 2 locomotives. Again, this will be for TANE only due to the way the DLC system works, and will be to the same specifications as the T2 locos. This update is a little while away at this stage as the type 2 pack was the easier pack to update at the time.

I also have some new, unannounced, items in the works. I am, however, going to keep these a little under my hat until they're much closer to being ready for release.

Apologies for the wall of text, however there has been a fair bit going on in the background over the last few months! :) I'll post some screenshots up later this week or over the weekend :)

Regards
Zec

Hi Zec,

Great news to hear, and look forward to the content.

Speaking of content; as I wanted to use your DDe locomotive assets for the SAR F class but found out that your driver bogie for the DDe is not functional in TANE; as the crank pin and cylinders rod works but not the main coupling rod and driver bogies will turn according with the animation.

I can send a picture if required.

Sincerest Regards,

M.G

Hi Trainz89
Apologies for the late reply, been a very busy few days. The assets in question used a script to swap between broad and standard gauge versions. Unfortunately, the way I setup the mesh was incorrect. I am working on an update, which splits it into separate broad and standard gauge assets (with separate bogies) to fix this and quite a few other issues. However, it's been on the back burner for a little while to allow other projects to be worked on. When I get a chance, I hope to finish the updates off and release them. Might be later this year, but no real guarantee right now. The DDE variant is pretty much finished, just needs a few minor changes, but the D4 variant is yet to be started and shares the same bogie assets; so I cannot release one without finishing the other.

Regards
Zec

Hi All
I have been, over the last 9 months, working on a new VR steam loco release in relative secrecy, which is the VR DD Class Type 4 variant. The first pack will be a set of Canadian Red era locos (1904-1920ish) as built by Newport workshops between 1904 and 1915, covering 92 numbers in the ranges 611-650 (all numbers), 652-670 (evens only), 692-700 (evens only), 873-881 (all numbers), 883-892 (all numbers), and 943-962 (all numbers). This is the largest single 'set' of numbers for a single builder/variant of the DD class!

But enough info for the moment, lets see some screenshots! :)

TANE%202016-11-20%2020-01-43-87.jpg

A lineup of the 3 variants in the first pack. They are: Canadian Red ('in service' clean), Simplified Canadian Red (medium-heavy weathering), WW1 Red (medium weathering).

And now a few shots of the weathered one on a goods to Healesvilly :)

TANE%202016-11-16%2014-55-50-88.jpg

TANE%202016-11-16%2014-56-55-97.jpg

TANE%202016-11-16%2014-57-42-34.jpg

TANE%202016-11-16%2014-58-48-14.jpg

TANE%202016-11-20%2018-18-16-49.jpg

A final, semi panoramic, shot of a very clean DD leading a passenger train.

You might spot in some of these shots some of the new texture effects I've been experimenting with on these. All practical surfaces have photograph overlay textures on them, and there are some places that normals maps, specular maps, or env maps have been used to give more realistic texture to the objects. An example is the rippling and 'bulging' of the tenders sides, visible under certain lights.

As a small addition, I have also launched a page on Facebook that will likely have the more 'day to day' posts/updates made in it for future projects for Trainz, model railways, and other 3D artwork. I'll definitely work to keep this thread more up to date not that this project has been announced though! If you have facebook, you can like/follow the page here: https://www.facebook.com/zecrailworkshops/ - The page is still viewable without facebook for anyone who might also be interested in any regular posts on there as well.

Regards
Zec

2016 will probably see a bit of VR stuff released, at the moment we're lacking in rolling stock :( .

Cheers.
Well....

Another year almost gone and I didn't release half the stuff I had planned too, I did get a heap of ESX/VODX Open wagons done and a few none-vic bogies, rest of the stuff where pretty much updates, speaking of updates me and Zec have the E, EE and D Class updated and through in another EE Class but a none-footboards version :)

Still working on updating the R/RY Class and getting a Canadian Red Y Class done, the older Y Class I've got on the DLS is updated and available now, was a complete re-build if anyone asks. (uses basic K Class interior).

Cheers.

Great work Zec,

I am hanging for the updates to the DD's as I rarely use TS12 anymore. I have joined the facebook page as well.

Happy new Year.

regards

Axe

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately, release of the Type 4 DDs has been delayed a bit, so won't be available till the new year. However, the good news is there is a little surprise coming for Christmas...

0.jpg

DD 639 waits at Healesville with the 2016 Christmas Special, ready to head for Yarra Glen!

1.jpg

With the DD working hard, the Christmas Special climes up to the Tunnel Hill tunnel.

2.jpg

A view from the cab of the DD as it drifts down grade from the tunnel.

3.jpg

The DD makes light work of the train as it crosses the flood plains outside Tarrawarra.

I hope to have the Christmas Train ready for release later today, but we'll see how it goes! This years will be free, but is only compatible with Trainz: A New Era. It might also include a couple of surprises!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Zec

Back