Windows 10 rumour?

UPDATE!

You can change almost all your hardware, since latest version, you get the option to save your license digitally...

--- How to Activate Your Windows 10 License After a Hardware Change ---

When reinstalling Windows 10 after a hardware change–especially a motherboard change–be sure to skip the “enter your product key” prompts while installing it.
Microsoft has never actually wanted to explain exactly how the hardware-based Windows activation process works. Just replacing your hard drive or upgrading your graphics card shouldn’t cause a problem. If you’ve just changed a few peripherals, Windows 10 may just automatically activate itself after you clean-install it. But, if you’ve changed the motherboard or just a lot of other components, Windows 10 may see your computer as a new PC and may not automatically activate itself.
Head to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and you’ll see a “Troubleshoot” option if activation failed. Click that option and sign in with the Microsoft account you associated your license with. You’ll be able to tell Windows that you “changed hardware on this device recently” and select your PC from a list of devices associated with your Microsoft account. Microsoft’s documentation now explains exactly how this works.

--- Why You Can’t Just Use a Simple Product Key ---

The free Windows 10 license works very differently from previous Windows licensing systems. These all required a product key. Even modern Windows 8 and 8.1 PCs–and new PCs that come with Windows 10–have a Windows product key embedded in their UEFI firmware. If you buy a new copy of Windows 10–for example, to install it on a PC you’re building yourself–you’ll also have a product key.
In this case, the product key would always serve to activate Windows. But Microsoft hasn’t been handing out Windows 10 product keys to upgraders. There’s no way to find your Windows 10 product key if you’ve upgraded for free–you just don’t have one.

found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how...10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

Hi everybody.
Peter (wilts 747) I could not agree with you more in what you state in your posting at #20 of this thread with regard to the intrusive and overbearing attitude of Microsoft towards its customers which has grown up in recent years. Even the Redwood dinosaurs multiple failings in the mobile market over a considerable period of time still seems not to have softened their approach to the user base they have left in the rapidly diminishing PC market.

However, many things are rapidly changing in the gaming world and for those who enjoy carrying out that gaming on a large screen a chance to get out from under the overbearing attitude of Microsoft without having to place themselves in the equaly unappreciative arms of Apple.

It was announced several months ago that devices running on the Google OS platform would be enabled to download and run all apps on the Google Android platform. It was thought that such a huge task would take many months to complete (if ever). However, two weeks ago three devises currently in production were enabled to operate all 1.6 million Android apps on the Google play store with fifty more devises being enabled before Christmas.

The Google OS system operates on larger screen laptops and more importantly the LG twenty two inch chromebase desktops. Therefore, for those who have craved reasonably priced android gaming on a large screen, the solution is now to be shortly at hand. Several developers who produce for the widows platform have advised that their current applications will now be made available for android with new apps to follow.

On Google forums many have stated that they do not wish to see android gaming go down the path of devices needing high end CPUs and separate graphics cards etc to run the platforms apps. However, what device manufacturers decide to place in their products is very much up to them. That stated, Google have advised that they wish to see android apps and devices “remain within the range of the Google tradional user base” and Google normally get what they require.

Bill

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on re-installing Windows 10.
I would just use the same HDD. I've done this before successfully with XP and W.7.
My version of W10 is actually a free upgrade from a bootleg version of W.7 which didn't work (surprise) and I paid MS to replace it with a valid version.
Anyway I think I'll leave the Trainz (W10) computer as is and use the new mobo and CPU on another computer which runs XP.
Mick

Last edited:
Will you have success with winXP? I have all the Windows versions from XP onwards, I am thinking of installing XP(32x) in a virtual system as I have a couple of progs that will run only in a 32x environment.

Will you have success with winXP? I have all the Windows versions from XP onwards, I am thinking of installing XP(32x) in a virtual system as I have a couple of progs that will run only in a 32x environment.
What's the name of those programs? Just curious, as I have a lot of 32 bit programs running fine in 64 bit environment.

Sorry Rob, are you asking me? If so I'm assuming so, since XP is no longer supported, hopefully they won't be bothering me��
Mick

Hi everybody.
As Microsoft continually staggers from one failure to another, the leading consumer watchdog in the United Kingdom “Which” is calling on the Redwood based corporation to compensate Windows 10 users who have suffered loss of data or functionality to their systems by way of upgrading to Microsoft's latest version. There have been many users of Windows 10 reporting on social media and through the regular press of damage suffered to systems and businesses on installation or when in general use.

In the above, one of those numerous reports published by the Daily Telegraph can be read by following this link:- [url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/21/microsoft-told-to-compensate-customers-for-windows-10-breaking-c/[/URL]

It is also being reported that Microsoft have already made limited compensation to some users but many more claims are expected to arrive on the desks of Microsoft executives in the next few days, weeks and months. The compensation already paid out may just be the “tip of the iceberg” in relation to Windows 10 with the inevitable serious consequences in regard to the future of the operating system and the viability of the software giant.

Stock market analysts are advising that the recent announcement by Microsoft to “buy back” a staggering fourty billion dollars valuation of its own stock and pay an eight percent dividend on the remaining stock is an effort to suppress the concerns of investors in regard to the future trading position of the organization.

In the foregoing, the new “stock buy back” is additional to a thirty five billion repurchase of Microsoft's own stock previously carried out by the Redwood based corporation. That repurchase was instigated following the failure of the Microsoft owned Nokia brand to make the essential breakthrough into the smartphone market that Microsoft had demanded. It is believed that Microsoft are financing the stock purchase by way of accounts held offshore thought to hold reserve funding still in excess of one hundred million dollars.

In the above, some may ask “what does the above matter to Trainz and this hobby”. Well, with Microsoft seemingly becoming ever more commercially unstable in many analysts opinions, some may feel that N3V should perhaps look now to another platform for the future of Trainz and its associated hobby. With Google currently rolling out the Android OS platform to include large screen laptops and desktops perhaps a renewed look at that operating system for the Trainz future could be commercially very beneficial.

The Android platform has many millions if not billions of users throughout the world and all are gamers. If only a small proportion of those could be encouraged to the Trainz hobby the future of our pastime would be very much secured.

Bill

Hi everybody.
As Microsoft continually staggers from one failure to another, the leading consumer watchdog in the United Kingdom “Which” is calling on the Redwood based corporation to compensate Windows 10 users who have suffered loss of data or functionality to their systems by way of upgrading to Microsoft's latest version. There have been many users of Windows 10 reporting on social media and through the regular press of damage suffered to systems and businesses on installation or when in general use.

In the above, one of those numerous reports published by the Daily Telegraph can be read by following this link:- [url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/21/microsoft-told-to-compensate-customers-for-windows-10-breaking-c/[/URL]

It is also being reported that Microsoft have already made limited compensation to some users but many more claims are expected to arrive on the desks of Microsoft executives in the next few days, weeks and months. The compensation already paid out may just be the “tip of the iceberg” in relation to Windows 10 with the inevitable serious consequences in regard to the future of the operating system and the viability of the software giant.

Stock market analysts are advising that the recent announcement by Microsoft to “buy back” a staggering fourty billion dollars valuation of its own stock and pay an eight percent dividend on the remaining stock is an effort to suppress the concerns of investors in regard to the future trading position of the organization.

In the foregoing, the new “stock buy back” is additional to a thirty five billion repurchase of Microsoft's own stock previously carried out by the Redwood based corporation. That repurchase was instigated following the failure of the Microsoft owned Nokia brand to make the essential breakthrough into the smartphone market that Microsoft had demanded. It is believed that Microsoft are financing the stock purchase by way of accounts held offshore thought to hold reserve funding still in excess of one hundred million dollars.

In the above, some may ask “what does the above matter to Trainz and this hobby”. Well, with Microsoft seemingly becoming ever more commercially unstable in many analysts opinions, some may feel that N3V should perhaps look now to another platform for the future of Trainz and its associated hobby. With Google currently rolling out the Android OS platform to include large screen laptops and desktops perhaps a renewed look at that operating system for the Trainz future could be commercially very beneficial.

The Android platform has many millions if not billions of users throughout the world and all are gamers. If only a small proportion of those could be encouraged to the Trainz hobby the future of our pastime would be very much secured.

Bill

Couldn't agree less........Windows 10 AFAIAC is by far the best OS from MS, and the upgrade from 7 was free and painless.
I am thinking of trying Linux though, just out of interest.
All this has nothing to do with my original post. Interesting that it's come to a dead stop after your anti-MS rant.
Mick.

Hi everybody.
Couldn't agree less........Windows 10 AFAIAC is by far the best OS from MS, and the upgrade from 7 was free and painless.

I am thinking of trying Linux though, just out of interest.
All this has nothing to do with my original post. Interesting that it's come to a dead stop after your anti-MS rant.
Mick.
Mick, apologies if you feel that my posting brought your thread to a “dead stop”. However, I believe that if you check the dates of postings in this thread you will find that my posting was made on the 22nd of September while the date of the previous posting prior to that was placed on the 12th of September. The foregoing would seem to present evidence that the thread had indeed “run its coarse” prior to my posting being made.

In the above it was very much my intension to inject new debate into the thread by widening the subject to include the overall performance of Microsoft in the last two years and how Trainz and this hobby could benefit from N3V placing new emphasis on an alternative platform(s).

I also regret Mick that you feel my posting at #29 of this thread was a “rant” as again I believe that there is strong evidence that the substance of my posting is based in fact in regard to the Microsoft trading performance over a substantial period of time. I do not believe that many would argue that Microsoft have achieved “great success” in the smartphone and mobile market dispite four very expensive attemps to do so.

Likewise in the above, it is being reported widely in both press and social media that many claims are being made against Microsoft by indivigual persons and businesses for damage suffered by way of installing and operating Windows 10 on their systems due to flaws and instabilitty in the operating system. The foregoing has undoubtedly in the opinion of many stock market analysts brought Microsoft to the desperate measure of repurchasing their own stock to the value of fourty billion dollars in an effort to placate investors and maintain the share price on the market.

Therefore, in the above I do not feel that my posting at #29 of this thread was in any way a “rant” but mearly a statement of the facts as seen by very many in the computer and finance industries. I also apologize for stating Redwood rather than Redmond as the Microsoft base. However, I do realize that I am in no way a perfect person in many aspects of life, where as there are on this forum those who so obviously are perfect in every aspect of their lives.

Bill

Last edited:
I have to say that Win 10 is the best MS OS I've ever used. Linux Mint is OK also. Have you tried Linux Mint, Bill? It's easy to install.

You can install it as a dual boot OS.

Here's a link: https://www.linuxmint.com/

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.

Mick, apologies if you feel that my posting brought your thread to a “dead stop”. However, I believe that if you check the dates of postings in this thread you will find that my posting was made on the 22nd of September while the date of the previous posting prior to that was placed on the 12th of September. The foregoing would seem to present evidence that the thread had indeed “run its coarse” prior to my posting being made.

In the above it was very much my intension to inject new debate into the thread by widening the subject to include the overall performance of Microsoft in the last two years and how Trainz and this hobby could benefit from N3V placing new emphasis on an alternative platform(s).

I also regret Mick that you feel my posting at #29 of this thread was a “rant” as again I believe that there is strong evidence that the substance of my posting is based in fact in regard to the Microsoft trading performance over a substantial period of time. I do not believe that many would argue that Microsoft have achieved “great success” in the smartphone and mobile market dispite four very expensive attemps to do so.

Likewise in the above, it is being reported widely in both press and social media that many claims are being made against Microsoft by indivigual persons and businesses for damage suffered by way of installing and operating Windows 10 on their systems due to flaws and instabilitty in the operating system. The foregoing has undoubtedly in the opinion of many stock market analysts brought Microsoft to the desperate measure of repurchasing their own stock to the value of fourty billion dollars in an effort to placate investors and maintain the share price on the market.

Therefore, in the above I do not feel that my posting at #29 of this thread was in any way a “rant” but mearly a statement of the facts as seen by very many in the computer and finance industries. I also apologize for stating Redwood rather than Redmond as the Microsoft base. However, I do realize that I am in no way a perfect person in many aspects of life, where as there are on this forum those who so obviously are perfect in every aspect of their lives.

Bill

I'll give you that, I didn't notice the big gap between posts. Maybe you should have started a new thread.��
Mick

Why Mint? I was thinking Ubuntu. I'm totally new to Linux.
Mick

Mint is more or less a clone of Ubuntu. It's based on the same kernel if I remember correctly and slightly more of a palava to install.

Ubuntu is easier to install, probably better if you're new to linux but I think mint looks nicer, prettier, overall.

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
i am no techie and I may be stating something that those contributing to this thread already know, but both Google Chrome OS and Google Android are both Linux based. I believe that Crome OS can be installed almost as an application to run on Windows 7,8 and 10.

The above could save “much bother” with installing the “ native Linux” as well as having the advantage of access to the Google Web Store for applications. However, anyone thinking of installing any of the above may do well to wait as both operating systems are being merged at this point in time.

Google holding “an event” next week (October 4th) at which much more information is to be given on their future plans in regard to the merged systems and new hardware surrounding them it is thought.

There is a Trainz version on Android but it is at least five years old with no updates since its launch.

Bill

Back