Wilmington and Western Railroad Project

srr89

Content Creator,Reskinner
This is where I'll be posting screens of my Wilmington and Western Railroad project. I was able to complete the 4-4-0 #98, reskinned from Ben Neal's Heavy 4-4-0. I have also started some work on the route itself as well.

Station Area
WWRR_station_area.jpg

WWRR #98
WWRR_98.jpg

Leaving the Station
WWRR_98_2.jpg

Realize that the route will be be uploaded to the DLS, as well as to Trainz Commuter Rail. The reskins, however will NOT be going on the DLS. If I get permission, the reskins will only be uploaded to Trainz Commuter Rail. So far, the 98 is done, and I will reskin the coaches, the SW9, and maybe the 0-6-0 #58. :)

Comment and suggestions welcome. :)

Robby :wave:

Nice :)

One suggestion is to use the [ and ] keys while applying ground textures, that will get rid of the pattern effect...

Thanks for the comments. I have plenty of time on my hands today to continue on the route considering I had a half-day at school. Will post plenty of screens. :)

Request

I realize that there are many 0-6-0s on the DLS today, but I can't seem to find a good 0-6-0 that resembles the #58. Could anyone who has time on their hands give a go at the WWRR #58?

Some basic pictures (not mine)
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=304942

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=304943

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=304941

I was also able to find a few diagrams that could work.
http://research.nprha.org/Steam Diagrams/Class L-10 Diagram 1913.jpg

http://research.nprha.org/Steam Diagrams/Class L-7 Diagram 1913.jpg

http://research.nprha.org/Steam Diagrams/Class L-6 Diagram 1949.jpg

Here's what I got done today.

The route:

Retexturized the Station Area
wwrr_station_area2.jpg

What will eventually be the sheds
wwrr_sheds.jpg

What will eventually be the CSX yard
wwrr_csx_yard.jpg

The reskins:

W&WRR Coach reskinned from Magicland's B&O P70 Coach
wwrr_coach.jpg

W&WRR Combine reskinned from Magicland's ATSF Combine Car
wwrr_combine.jpg

W&WRR C149 Caboose reskinned from fjhorne's generic caboose.
wwrr_caboose.jpg

Robby

Not to rain on the parade, but just to point out...

98 doesn't have yellow strips anymore, except on the cab. It would save a bit of trouble, not to mention make it look less cartoony without the yellow tires.

The cars are Boontons, but we'll let it slide. The combine's number is 410, and the coaches are 581, 603 and 571, usually running in that order. An MP54 trailer was converted to an open air car, named the "Kiamensi Springs" and numbered the 442. Also, a Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines coach is used as a diner car, which any PRR P70 will stand in for quite nicely.

The railroad has a doodlebug, the 4662 named the "Paul Revere". Is there a good substitute?

There are two SW1 diesels, the 114 and the 8408. They're in different paint schemes though.
There's also an SW900 being leased, but I'd wait to repaint this one (have you seen how it looks right now? :eek:)

The cabooses are: C149, C2013, and C2042. C149 and C2042 are virtually identical, while C2013 has some differences in the paint scheme.

As for a representation of the 58... yeah, 58 is a different looking engine. The large size doesn't really match up with the standard TRS 0-6-0... in fact, they're all the exact same engine. Maybe use the 0-6-0 and the slopeback tender for the SteamTrainz 0-4-0?

Look here for more details: http://www.wwrr.com/about/equipment.asp

Just like the railroad did in 2007, do you plan to go all the way to Hockessin?

Sorry for stating so much, I'm just a fan of this railroad. The route and reskins look great, I'm just pointing out what the railroad has. Thanks for making this for Trainz

- Jonathan

Last edited:
Oh, I started this a while ago but never finished it. It has the entire route from CSX junction to Hockessin and end of track. But, very little scenery other than the station buildings at Greenbank and Hockessin and a few other buildings and roads like Rt. 41, Rt. 2, etc. It's a 0 height, flat baseboard layout with the route length guessed, so it might not be the exact correct 10 miles or so. Yours looks much better than mine so far. About the blue coaches, I have Boontons, it's a model by Paulz Trainz that I reskinned blue and relettered Wilmington & Western. The original model is green. No combine, though. Maybe Paul made a combine for the Boontons because he also offers a set of coaches. That's nice how you reskinned the 4-4-0 into Wilmington & Western. Do you have an estimate on completion and release?

Joneau, thanks for your advice. I used a couple pictures from a while back when the 98 had yellow stripes, so I'll remove them. I'll go after the Sw1s and other equipment when I have time and number the coaches as well. To answer your question, I'll probably go to Hockessin, but I am currently working on the portion of the route going from the station to the CSX yard.

Rwk, I am unsure of the release date since I just started, and because the one part of the line that was washed out from the huge flood the WWRR had is much longer than I expected. Would you or anyone happen to know where the WWRR tracks stop? I looked on multimap.com and saw where the tracks ended, but I know there is a point where the WWRR's tracks end. Also, are the coaches payware or freeware? I'd like to see them if possible.

Thanks,

Last edited:
A few updates on my locos, rolling stock, and route.

The updated 98
wwrr_98_updated.jpg

Coach 581
wwrr_coach_581.jpg

Coach 603
wwrr_coach_603.jpg

Combine 410
wwrr_combine_410.jpg

Here's the SW1 #114. I kind of did this in a hurry, so I may edit it a little more.
wwrr_sw1.jpg

This is how far I have extended from the station on the route.
wwrr_route1.jpg

A shot looking from a residential neighborhood towards the station. You may be able to see the station in the background.
wwrr_route2.jpg

Robby

The coaches are payware, and you would probably need Paul's permission to distribute them if you reskin them. I'm anxious to see how this route turns out. The tracks end in Hockessin by a baseball field just before Valley Rd. and Evanson Rd. The tracks end so many feet before the road. Look on Windows Live Local to see. There is a passing siding in downtown Hockessin and two crossings that cross at opposite angles across both ends of the siding /end---------------=/=\=------------Rt.41------------------------------ like that. View is looking north. What version of Trainz are you building this in? Looks like higher than 2004.

Last edited:
I knew the name Wilmington & Western rang a bell in my head! They have one of my Valley Engines!
114, the SW1, was LV 114. :D
Sean

Rwk, since I am only a teenager and don't even have job yet, I am not into payware yet. And yes I am using TRS2006. Once this route is done I am going to need some people to test this route in TRS2004, TC (1,2 or 3) and TS2009.

LVMan, that's pretty cool that the 114 was once a LV loco. Once I read some history on the 114 and saw that I knew you'd be excited. :D

I have the Boonton coach reskinned in W&W, but I would have to ask Paul if I could send the coach to you. It has full interior that you can ride in with several different views. Magicland's don't even have interiors. Those are the poor man's coaches. They look great on the outside, but no inside! Inside it's the outside texture repeated. There's very few US 1920's 30's coaches for Trainz with rideable interiors. Paul actually made the Boonton coach by my request.

Yeah, Magicland's coaches were the best coaches I could find on the DLS that would work. Of course, if anyone could find better coaches that I could use, please list them here.

Warning: Large Pics 1024x768

Photoshop and Trainz didn't seem to like me tonight. Managed to get only a few screens and could only save them as large pictures. Oh well. :p

Thanks to jankvis for the awesome trees :cool:
wwrr_route_update1.jpg

wwrr_route_update2.jpg

Working my way towards the sheds
wwrr_route_update3.jpg

Managed the get this shot of the 98. Not sure where the lens flare and awesome lighting came from :cool: :p
wwrr_98_screencontest.jpg

Will continue to post screens as soon as Trainz stops acting up on me. Luckily I haven't lost anything yet since I have many backups of the route already. :D

Can't wait to see more, the line is only 10-11 miles long from CSX junction to Hockessin so it shouldn't take you long. I'm working on a "super route" with RR's between Phiiy and Scranton, PA and NJ, I'm working on the Steamtown part Scranton-Delaware Water Gap, almost all track laid.

Sounds great. Now I may have a real place to use the CN 3254! :D Hey rwk, do you know if the Wilmington and Western tracks cross US Route 1 in/near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania? When my family and I go to Strasburg, we always go via Route 1 and cross some railroad tracks around there. My dad was always curious if those tracks led to Greenback station. I would check multimap.com myself but my internet as of right now is the slowest it could possibly be. :hehe:

A little side note, I just got permission from Ben Neal to release my Wilmington and Western 98 engine. Now I can release everything I have reskinned to go along with this project. :cool:

Back