Why Do Men Love Model Railroads?

Because we are "Control Freaks" and live in an imperfect world, and strive to create a perfect world in model form ... most collectors are Obsessive Compulsive

It's an interesting article. I like the fact that it mentions a younger generation taking interest in the hobby. That said it's sad to say a local hobby store is no longer selling model railroad equipment. The guy now sells radio controlled cars and parts. He gave up on trains about 4 years ago and finally cleared out his inventory.

The other sad thing, not mentioned in the article, is the cost of these model trains. If you've ever been to a train show, you'd pass out or become quite shaken at the prices. Another Trainzer, my brother and I went to the Big-E show in Springfield MA. Just to get in plus parking was $20, the food was outrageous, and the models were well beyond what anyone could afford, except people were chunking away at their credit cards and carrying out boxes of stuff. Seriously, a small used N-scale locomotive was over $200 at one table. The new equipment was 3 times that. The good thing about the show is I met Yutzk from Jointed Rail there and saw a couple of other people I've known from other shows. I have an Atlas/Kato Alco RS3 which I bought in 1984 at an NMRA show in Boston. I paid $35 for it back then. In 2003 I picked up a new model, very similar to the old one, from a reputable online dealer. This same model was $110; today the same model is $210.

So unless you have a lot of money, you really can't enjoy the hobby.

John

For me, it's nothing about control. We love what we remember, and I remember the excitement of watching big, black Illinois Central GP7's and GP9's rumbling past my grandfather's home in south-central Indiana, when I was a kid. Combine that with an interest in technology, both train-related and with computers. I ran the wheels off my Lionel set, and learned just about everything I ever needed to know about electricity, too. But now my train sets are on the pc. More trains for the money, no need to take up space for a layout, and, for me, more fun running different routes and trains.

I just love model railways because I was brought up around them, and the idea of owning your own railway and fleet of engines is something that is difficult to have on a PC. In my bedroom (3m X about 4m) I have a 'paradise' of small trains running around all day. It's just fun really.

But it's not just men! There are many excellent lady modellers, both making 'real' models (for want of a better term) and creating virtual layouts/routes and models for Trainz - I could name quite a few in each category! And there are the wives, who although not actively modelling, contribute enormously to their husbands' hobby by making creative suggestions. I know - I have one who has been of enormous help since I started in the hobby in the early 60's (1960s that is).

Ray

Men and women like model railroads because for many, including myself, a model railway isn’t just a toy train set, but an attempt to recreate a real life location in miniature. It’s like a model in 3-D form of creative art. Therefore the more realistic you make it, the more people like them and becomes quite so addictive. Look how many people queue and pay to see a model railway exhibition.
When I was a young kid Santa Claus left me a Hornsby H0/00 scale train set to play with and that is how it all started.
Basically an oval track with two points and a little black steam engine to run around the track.
Every so often added to the layout ending up with one bedroom converted to a train layout.
Sometimes wished that I used N scale that is more smaller and compact.
Anyway as a youth spent hours in the summer holidays train spotting on the LMS line and mainly around Leeds and Crewe.
So fascinating railway engines and rolling stock.
You are never to old to play with train sets, and real ones of course.

Last edited:
because they are fun. if you even have to question that, then it's not for you. sorry but it's that simple.
Oh and my wife enjoys the hobby as much as I do.

In my younger days my city had several model railway shops and much reduced and only one in the city centre these days. it was also a common hobby for many at Secondary School years but these days tends to be more and adult thing in Britain - maybe elsewhere? Every year the Scottish Model rail Show is in the confectioner and exhibition centre here in Glasgow and well attended over the 3 days being the biggest in Scotland. Yougsters are there but overwhelmingly it tends to be as I suggest more adult orientated.

I find the quote above about 2nd hand N Gauge locos costing over $100 quite shocking. And I thought they were expensive this side of the pond! That said, my local model shop has second-hand, boxed Athearn (?) F 40PHs in both Amtrak and MBTA schemes on sale for £19 (about $25 roughly)! US stuff is always cheaper than native models here.

I find the quote above about 2nd hand N Gauge locos costing over $100 quite shocking. And I thought they were expensive this side of the pond! That said, my local model shop has second-hand, boxed Athearn (?) F 40PHs in both Amtrak and MBTA schemes on sale for £19 (about $25 roughly)! US stuff is always cheaper than native models here.

I was quite shocked as well. Freight wagons too... $20 - $50 new.

The Thomas The Train setups, that the kids love so much, start at $100 and that wasn't much to start with!

Unless someone has a big fat credit card and doesn't care about payments, they won't have much of a route.

John

I was quite shocked as well. Freight wagons too... $20 - $50 new.

The Thomas The Train setups, that the kids love so much, start at $100 and that wasn't much to start with!

Yes, compare that with $49.90 for T:ANE (Digital download) with all its supplied rolling stock, track and scenery assets plus access to the DLS. Plus no "space issues" for the largest of layouts as it all fits on a standard office desk or even on your lap!

Because the wife will not in any way let me have the real ones.cost to much she says,and I spend enough on my models as it is and now the ones for my computers,so never a real train. Oh well,she lets me drink my beer.

Back