Which runs trainz the best.

builder300544

Wrong side of 65
Hi,

I,ve sort of asked this question before, but am still a little confused.

There is a computer coming up for sale with the following specs.

Intel Core quad processor Q8200 2.33Mhtz
4Gb Ram
Gforce 9600GT (512Mb) Graphics Card
Vista OS

My current computers specs are

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Mhtz
3Gb Ram
Radeon X1900XT (512Mb) Graphics Card
XP OS

I appreciate the comments regarding the multitasking benifits of the Quad Core machine, but this is a facility I,m not interested in, because I use the computer purely to run Trainz.

Ignoring the ram size at the moment, the numbers that take my eye are the processor speeds i.e. is my Pentium 4 faster than the quad core if just running the one application.

Regards, John

Hi,

4Gb Ram
Vista OS

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Mhtz
3Gb Ram
XP OS

I appreciate the comments regarding the multitasking benifits of the Quad Core machine, but this is a facility I,m not interested in, because I use the computer purely to run Trainz.

Ignoring the ram size at the moment, the numbers that take my eye are the processor speeds i.e. is my Pentium 4 faster than the quad core if just running the one application.

Regards, John

Your pentium 4 may also run hyperthreading, turning it into a dual core processor (in theory). Therefore, it may be more cost effective to just upgrade your RAM and possibly your graphics card.

Hi,

4Gb Ram
Vista OS

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Mhtz
3Gb Ram
XP OS

Regards, John

It's difficult to compare them directly.

However http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2006/PCMark-2005-CPU,52.html

has a benchmark with the pentium 4s in.

Take the top rated cpu on that benchmark and you'll find it again here

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,31.html

The processor speeds are not directly comparable but with TRS2009 taking into account that it can make use of two cores and the newer video cards support Texture compression you should see a substantial increase in performance from one to the other.

I was under the impression that P4 processors were 32 bit processors. Mine certainly isn't 64 bit. Trainz uses a max of 2 gigs of memory XP likes 512mb of memory there would be no performance gain from adding memory to your preset system. 64 bit Vista is slightly different and it depends on the processor and the memory type. i7 with DDR3 apparently likes 6 gigs of memory under Vista.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
I wish to apologise for my previous post. I did not read the specifications correctly and as such I gave bad advice.

Johnwhelan, you are completely right.

Hi,

I,m not very technically minded when it comes to computers, so I can only take the manufacturers word for it.

According to the 'blurb' on the box it says "WORLD FIRST! Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT-technology. 3.2 GHz 64 bit technology to support your future computing needs. 2Mb L2 Cache, 800 Mhz FSB"

As I say this means very little to me. However my wife is quite prepared to buy me the "quad" machine, so if you are saying this will produce better results then I will go along with your advice.

Cheers, John

Hi,

I,m not very technically minded when it comes to computers, so I can only take the manufacturers word for it.

According to the 'blurb' on the box it says "WORLD FIRST! Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT-technology. 3.2 GHz 64 bit technology to support your future computing needs. 2Mb L2 Cache, 800 Mhz FSB"

As I say this means very little to me. However my wife is quite prepared to buy me the "quad" machine, so if you are saying this will produce better results then I will go along with your advice.

Cheers, John

I suspect your old machine is a few years old so the new machine will definitely produce better results. Personally I'd ask for Vista 64 bit rather than Vista 32 bit, you don't need it today but I suspect it will be useful in a year or two.

Cheerio John

i'd go with the quad, simply because the graphics card is better and the quad core. also, can't argue with the wife cause we ALL know how that will end :D hahaha hope that helps. also you might be able to overclock for enhanced performance

Hi,

I,m still waiting for it to go on sale, but the more I read about it the more I've definitely decided to buy it.

As well as the specs already quoted, it has a 1TB Harddrive plus loads of extras. Apparantly although preloaded with Vista 32 it also comes with the disc to load Vista 64. Also it is upgradeable to 8GB ram if ever it was needed.

At £500 with a three year warranty it seems a snip.

Hi aodgh0st - was that overclocking referring to the computer or the wife.

Cheers, John

which runs trainz the best

Hi Builder 300544 -read with interest yr article on a new machine sounds just like what I could do with to replace my current machine some 7 years old now but still giving good service running TRS2004 - who is putting that machine on the market or is it a specialy built machine would be interested to know where to get it at that price it seems a double bargain for its content. regards

Hi,

It,s a medion machine being sold at ALDI shops. Went on sale this morning. Even knocked the price down to £487 because of the VAT.

However my local shop only had three to sell. Fortunately I went early, was third in line and got the last one.

Might still be worth while checking the ALDI shops around your area.

Cheers, John

Hi,

I have,nt got 2009 yet, I ordered the DVD version, but 2006 runs like a dream, way way smoother than my Pentium4. Vista is a bit annoying though, although I,ll get used to it in time.

Only reserve I have about the computer is the hard disc. The last Medion computer I bought had three hard drives built in. This one has only a 20Gb recovery drive, and a 980Gb drive.

Overall though, extremely happy with it.

Cheers, John

Back