When create my own session, why I must save a new route?

Hi, I know this one was probably already discussed somewhere and I'm sorry for repeating this... In several routes I'm trying to create my own session and place some cars there (with "session-layout" in the top right corner of the "place asset window"). Then I'd like to save just MY NEW SESSION, but only option save NEW ROUTE AND SESSION is available. I don't understand this, I don't want to save a new route, I just need to create my own session for a someone's route. In other words, I would like to use still the same route, but with various rolling stock in various session. I don't need to change someone's route!

For example, I purchased North Carolina Transportation Museum layout. I selected "Create Session" there, place ONLY ONE CAR there and then I had to save a new route. OK, I can do that and I did that several times before, because I just gave it up (to search what's going on), but I think it does not make sense to have a "custom" version of almost each installed route.

It's interesting that this is not happening with some other routes, for example Wilmington Branch, UMR2021, Brazemore Yard, Franklin Avenue Industrial, Hatchet Creek V2, Kootenay Lake Navigation Co., but it happened also with Datsun Junction (so I must have "Datsun Junction (custom)") or Durango to Silverton.

I opened Kickstarter 2, something I don't own, clicked on Create Session. then I placed a single car on one of the tracks. Then under both Save and Save As, I could select just a New Sessionwithout having to Save the Route too.
I don't know the North Carolina Transportation Museum layout, (a third party site?) so perhaps they have locked the route in some way or made it otherwise inaccessible to changes. Can you clone the route in CM?

edit: Ah, I see it is from Approach Medium so I would contact him about this issue.

This issue exists since T:ANE, whatever the route is freeware, 3rd-party payware or DLC.

You can create a session and save the session only with DLC routes. The DLC route can not be saved.
You can create a session with all other routes but you need to save both the route and session under your Kuid number. You can't save a session to someone else's route. If you then want to upload that session to the DLS you need to change the config file to show the map-kuid of the route in question.

You can create a session and save the session only with DLC routes. The DLC route can not be saved.
You can create a session with all other routes but you need to save both the route and session under your Kuid number. You can't save a session to someone else's route. If you then want to upload that session to the DLS you need to change the config file to show the map-kuid of the route in question.
This varies with the route. I have been creating and uploading sessions for years for Philskenes and dangavel routes. These point to the original route, not my kuid.

I opened Kickstarter 2, something I don't own, clicked on Create Session. then I placed a single car on one of the tracks. Then under both Save and Save As, I could select just a New Sessionwithout having to Save the Route too.
I don't know the North Carolina Transportation Museum layout, (a third party site?) so perhaps they have locked the route in some way or made it otherwise inaccessible to changes. Can you clone the route in CM?

edit: Ah, I see it is from Approach Medium so I would contact him about this issue.
Yes, I can clone the route. I did it, as well as the basic session which I joined to my cloned route (by changing map-kuid). It is strange the frist two times I had to save session and route, and in the third attempt I could save session only.

As for Approach Medium, I contacted them and got this reply: "That’s how the game works. If you make modifications to the route or session it’ll be saved under your kuid since you were the one to modify it."

Thank you guys. It seems in cases like this I have to cloned the route and then I will be able to create my own session there, although sometimes I will have to update also route (see my preview post/aswer).

But the important question for me is -- can I delete the original route? I really don't want to have two versions of almost each route :)...

can I delete the original route? I really don't want to have two versions of almost each route :)...
I suggest you open your newly created session for edit, then its config.txt and modify the "map-kuid" tag to point to the original route KUID. Once done, you can delete your cloned route.

I suggest you open your newly created session for edit, then its config.txt and modify the "map-kuid" tag to point to the original route KUID. Once done, you can delete your cloned route.
Well, but if I make another changes in my session, will I have to save a new route again? Or now just session...?

NO you cannot delete the original DLC route if you have made a clone of that route. If you do then your cloned copy will not work.

The way cloning works is that your new copy, the clone, is an alias of the original, it merely refers to the original. When you load your clone into Surveyor or Driver its config.txt file points to the original DLC route and directs Surveyor and Driver to load the original DLC route as well. The original DLC route contains all the assets. Your clone will only contain any new assets that you have added or changes that you have made.

You can even upload your cloned route to the DLS but it will only work with other users if they also have the original DLC route.

If you have created a brand new session for a DLC route then it is your session (but it will still need the original DLC route to work). You can edit the session and save it again without needing to save the route again (as long as you have not edited anything in the route). However, if you have just cloned the original DLC session to make changes then it becomes an alias of the original session and that original session and route must both be present for your clone to work.

Last edited:
There are two ways of doing this

Place your train onto the track, File | Save As, check the Box that says 'Save New Session' the name is 'Default' you can change the name to whatever you want ;)

Place your train onto the track, Tools menu the choose 'Drive Session' here you can choose to drive your train to set it to a certain speed as your session starts, then you can go to File | Save then choose Override existing session or you can optionally Create a new session.

If however, you don't want to set the speed when the session starts, just skip this part and File | Save choose Override existing session or you can optionally Create a new session.

Hope this helps :)

Back