What software do you use to create 3D models for Trainz?

n3vgames

Administrator
Complete the survey here (http://www.trainzportal.com/product_trainz_3D_tools_survey.php) to tell us what your favourite 3D software package is to model assets for Trainz so that future products of Trainz will help the Trainz community streamline the content creation process.

Please take the survey to help us better understand your 3D modelling needs for Trainz.

It takes less than a minute to complete: Click here to take the Survey

Thank you for your support.
Trainz Team

How are you gonna differentiate between people who can actually create stuff to people who don't or can't create stuff but decide fill in the survey, you could end up with some skewed results.

Should have been I do create box in there

Cheers

Lots

I think the last question is rather silly. If someone uses Blender, and would like to continue using Blender, of course they would consider using Blender!

I feel I am unable to complete the survey because of Question 3's conflict with my answer for Question 1 and 2.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Can we ignore the sketchup please. Let's not make a game that glorifies programs that makes a super high poly count on a box and horrid textures. Sure, some things look good and aren't too detrimental on performance but they're a rarity rather than the norm.

The last question makes sense if you're not using Blender already Kieran. If someone is using GMax, which is now considered obsolete, (although it does still make a good model) it is a worthwhile question to see if they would move onto Blender, which is much more up to date.

Jamie

I understand that it makes sense that way, but in my predicament it does not. Maybe an 'Already using Blender' option could be added?

Kieran.

I think the last question is rather silly. If someone uses Blender, and would like to continue using Blender, of course they would consider using Blender!

I feel I am unable to complete the survey because of Question 3's conflict with my answer for Question 1 and 2.

Kieran.

Then answer "Yes" and move on.

We have enough problems and issues with the Forums and DLS lately, please just read, answer the Survey, and move on...there is no need to turn this in to another pee'ing contest.

I agree that having SketchUp in there will just encourage high poly object creation. If someone wants to create objects, taking the easy way might produce the first object quicker but not having learned how to be economical with polys, they will continue to make things detrimental to good Trainz performance.

If you have already indicated a preference for Blender in the first two, no harm in repeating the sentiment in #3. It's only a 3 question survey. Why split hairs?

I use 3ds max 2009 and in the list it says Max 9, isn't Max 9 and Max 2009 two different programs?

Please add an option to question 3, being "I already use Blender, so I am not going to learn it again".

Yes please, that's what I'm looking for! :D

Kieran.

Well, have you considered that with all the new stuff in T:ANE, you just may need to learn it again. :wave: Or at least learn stuff you hadn't looked at before. Now that would be an interesting outcome and one I would like to see. Didn't we agree the Trainz Blenderheads only use about 5-10% of its capability?

Perhaps the survey could have addressed other tools as well, as I suggest most content creators would have a suite of tools at their disposal.

I'd be curious if anyone answered with Maya.

Where does one purchase or download "Blender"?

Kieran.

I would like to create content (especially multiple track street crossings) for a layout I'm working on. The only street crossings I have found are straight crossings, that allow for 1 or 2 lanes of traffic and 4 tracks. I have several crossings that are 45 or 315 degree crossings, but only 1 or 2 tracks. I need to create (or find) crossings for other "angled" crossings, and that cover between 1 and 10 tracks, 2 lane, 4 lane, 6 lane and 8 lane crossings.

Many of my "tracks" are at angles of 350, 320, 300, 330, 310, etc., and a 315 or 45 degree crossing does not work for me, when roads are at 90 or 0 degrees, or at other odd angles when they cross my tracks.

I need to create angled road intersections that are the same type of "road" (T-intersections and 4-way) and intersections that are 5 or 6-way intersections (such as many intersections found in Chicago, IL). I need to create corners that are not 45 or 90 degree corners (such as 15 and 30 degree corners) as well as 45 and 90 degree corners and without sidewalks (using different road textures - but mostly using or based on Yarn road textures).

Please contact me offline (at mastertype@mabspc.com) if you can be of any assistance here. Thanks.

As clam1952 mentioned, ditch the open email address. If Trainers need to contact you, they can easily do so via your Trainz profile.

That's a mighty long shopping list. Good to know what you ultimately need for your route. Most should be pretty easy to make. Once you've done one, it's then a matter of making a copy and just doing the required modifications. Some like the 10 track crossing and the 8 lane crossing might be a problem. I seem to recall having difficulty getting trainz to control these wide crossing using the built-in kind mocrossing. Once some of the elements were beyond a certain distance from the center-line, they didn't respond to the control commands anymore. That was back in 2004, perhaps that has been resolved since then, I haven't tested it recently.

Roads and associated intersections are fun to make. Once you start, adding another variation to the set is relatively easy. Unless you are planning to have a seamless integration with existing roads, you don't have to worry too much about them joining correctly with other sets. If need be, a few transition pieces can be made to cover those cases. Five and 6 way intersection are no harder than 3 or 4 way types. As in all object creation, the texture is what will make or break the object. Being in the neighborhood, you have direct access to the real thing. Digital cameras are a great way to build up a library of appropriate textures.

I was in Chicago for a week last fall, admiring the architecture and your famous and fabulous L. Is that what you're working on? Hope to see a few screen shots when you're ready.

Where can I get a program to create the content?

As clam1952 mentioned, ditch the open email address. If Trainers need to contact you, they can easily do so via your Trainz profile.

That's a mighty long shopping list. Good to know what you ultimately need for your route. Most should be pretty easy to make. Once you've done one, it's then a matter of making a copy and just doing the required modifications. Some like the 10 track crossing and the 8 lane crossing might be a problem. I seem to recall having difficulty getting trainz to control these wide crossing using the built-in kind mocrossing. Once some of the elements were beyond a certain distance from the center-line, they didn't respond to the control commands anymore. That was back in 2004, perhaps that has been resolved since then, I haven't tested it recently.

Roads and associated intersections are fun to make. Once you start, adding another variation to the set is relatively easy. Unless you are planning to have a seamless integration with existing roads, you don't have to worry too much about them joining correctly with other sets. If need be, a few transition pieces can be made to cover those cases. Five and 6 way intersection are no harder than 3 or 4 way types. As in all object creation, the texture is what will make or break the object. Being in the neighborhood, you have direct access to the real thing. Digital cameras are a great way to build up a library of appropriate textures.

I was in Chicago for a week last fall, admiring the architecture and your famous and fabulous L. Is that what you're working on? Hope to see a few screen shots when you're ready.

Back