Very dissapointed with latest 19 update

macka

Hi,
I have been using Trainz since it first edition and all the other editions and really enjoyed it BUT this latest update to Trainz 19 is very disappointing.
Before this latest update I thought it was fine but now I think it is rubbish.
I find the user interface complicated, frustrating and not user friendly.
Since the update all the people on the stations have also disappeared.
I am also very mixed up with how to do a quick drive?
I set up a session ready to test and it took ages for me to find out how to get the trains running.
It does have great graphics and seems to run very well on the computer but I feel the new Surveyor menu is a step backwards.
Could Nv3 PLEASE bring back the old Surveyor menu because as it is at the moment I think I will go back to 10 and Tane and not purchase any more versions if the Surveyor menu is the same at this on later versions.
Is there anyway that I can go back to Trainz 19 before this latest update?
Macka

I am also very mixed up with how to do a quick drive?
It should be within the route's sessions. You would load it up like a normal session. If you own the PE version, then its removed as it has the new surveyor / driver switch thingy.

Could Nv3 PLEASE bring back the old Surveyor menu because as it is at the moment I think I will go back to 10 and Tane and not purchase any more versions if the Surveyor menu is the same at this on later versions.
More likely, this will be the new interface in all later versions of Trainz. Yes it looks complicated, but once you get the hang of the new interface, it isn't that hard to navigate around.

Is there anyway that I can go back to Trainz 19 before this latest update?
only if you made a backup before updating, or if you own the box version that came before the update.

Cheers

Hi Macka
As you have a Gold Membership, you will have access to the new Unified Driver/Surveyor (UDS) system, which does change how Surveyor works.

The biggest two change that you will encounter are the removal of 'quickdrive' sessions, and the fact that Surveyor is now 'paused' by default.

For the QuickDrive sessions, these are replaced by the UDS system, which instead provides the option to quickly switch between Driver and Surveyor modes. To make a 'quickdrive' session you simply need to follow these steps:
1) Select your route and click on 'view sessions'
2) Click on Create Session
3) Open the Trains tab, and place the trains you want.
4) Click on the 'Tools' menu and click on 'Driver Mode', or press CTRL + F2 on your keyboard.

If you want to go back to place, move, or remove trains then click on the 'tools' menu in Driver, and click on 'Surveyor Mode' (or Press CTRL + F1 on your keyboard).

You can switch as many times as you want at any time in the session, like you could previously to access the 'trains' tool in Driver. You will notice that all of the Surveyor tools are now available; apart from being able to edit the route itself whilst driving, you will also now be able to alter the configuration of industries or stations from Surveyor mode, then return to Driver Mode to continue driving. You can also add new driver rules to add extra functions part way through a session if you wanted to.

As noted above, Surveyor is now paused by default as well. This is to stop your train from continuing on it's way when you go into Surveyor mode from Driver Mode (at the moment the paused by default is the same no matter how you access Surveyor). You can, however, unpause Surveyor by going to the 'tools' menu, and then click on 'pause'.

Unfortunately at the current it is not possible to revert back to a pre 'service pack 1' installation of Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019, as all installers on our website have now been updated to provide the TRS19 SP1 version of Trainz, which will include the UDS system for you as you have a gold membership.

Regards

If I can add a non-N3V sourced opinion, may I say that I am extremely happy with TRS19.

Yes the new interface is a bit of a challenge for the first few times but now that I have mastered it I would not like to go back to the TANE interface. Think of when MS added the "ribbon" to their Office products - not the same I know but that change initially frustrated the heck out of me but now I could not work without it. It is the "shock of the new", the disruption to our "comfort zone" that is the problem. Before long the "new" way of working becomes the "new comfort zone" - until it all changes again!

There is only one thing that I do not like about the new interface and that is the command section (now split into three separate displays) at the bottom of the Driver screen. It took a while for me to work out how to switch between the three different command displays (click the 3 dots on the extreme bottom right) but when you do that the consist that is currently under manual control turns on its brakes to grind to a halt.

But that aside, I love the graphic "track ahead" display and the ability to switch between Driver and Surveyor to fix scenery issues and then carry on in Driver as if nothing has happened.

Persevere, the rewards are there.

Last edited:
RE: UDS

If I am watching one of ten AI trains and see some bad roadway, can I pause quickdrive, make extensive changes to the roads, add trees, install some signals and then switch back to quickdrive and continue watching the AIs?

Currently when I switch between quickdrive and surveyor, there are noticable lags while trains saves(?) or whatever. Do these lags still exist? Are the changes saved automatically? Can I select Layers to work on?

If I exit quickdrive what is involved in starting the Session from the beginning instead of picking it up from where I exited?

RE: UDS

If I am watching one of ten AI trains and see some bad roadway, can I pause quickdrive, make extensive changes to the roads, add trees, install some signals and then switch back to quickdrive and continue watching the AIs?

Currently when I switch between quickdrive and surveyor, there are noticable lags while trains saves(?) or whatever. Do these lags still exist? Are the changes saved automatically? Can I select Layers to work on?

If I exit quickdrive what is involved in starting the Session from the beginning instead of picking it up from where I exited?

Yes you can do that. When you save, do not save the session. The reason for this is to ensure you consists return to their starting position when you restart your session, otherwise, all sessions going forward will have your consists in their current, new, location. We can thank Malc (Clam1952) for this tip.

RE: UDS Are the changes saved automatically? Can I select Layers to work on?

No, the changes are not saved automatically, you have to manually save (Ctrl+S or select from the menu).

Yes, you can select and work in any layer you want.

Thanks for the replies. If I'm reading correctly, I don't see any big difference between UDS and what I'm currently doing:

Select Route
Select Session
Edit Session
Select Route Layer
Make changes to the Route (add roads, trees, consists) and/or Session (add drivers, change AI commands)
Save Route and Session
QuickDrive
Exit Driver
Make changes to the Route and/or Session (add drivers, change AI commands)
Save Route and Session
QuickDrive
Exit Driver

My solution to the Platinum Edition is a Logitech mouse like an M510 programmable bottons for Ctrl+Z - Ctrl+X - and Ctrl+Alt+F and more...

Thanks for the replies. If I'm reading correctly, I don't see any big difference between UDS and what I'm currently doing:

Select Route
Select Session
Edit Session
Select Route Layer
Make changes to the Route (add roads, trees, consists) and/or Session (add drivers, change AI commands)
Save Route and Session
QuickDrive
Exit Driver
Save Route and Session
QuickDrive
Exit Driver

That's the manual method, which I too have used for ages at least since TS2010. Having the UDS means you can be driving a regular driving session and find a tree in the way, go fix that, and then return and continue driving along.

In terms of work flow there is probably not a huge difference but in terms of convenience, effort and time saved - yes.

Select Route
Select Session
Edit Session
Select Route Layer
Save Route and Session
QuickDrive
OLD (pre-UDS): Exit Driver ---> NEW (UDS): Switch to Surveyor
Save Route and Session
OLD (pre-UDS): QuickDrive (and restart from the very beginning of the Session again!) ---> NEW (UDS): Switch to Driver (and continue on where you left off!)
Exit Driver

Yes you can do that. When you save, do not save the session. The reason for this is to ensure you consists return to their starting position when you restart your session, otherwise, all sessions going forward will have your consists in their current, new, location. We can thank Malc (Clam1952) for this tip.

In previous versions of Trainz, saving just the route file to a new version (rather than over-writing the current version) without saving also the session in the same operation used to mean that the route-session link was lost. Does this still occur under the new amalgamated Driver/Surveyor arrangements in TRS 19 Platinum?

Lataxe

In previous versions of Trainz, saving just the route file to a new version (rather than over-writing the current version) without saving also the session in the same operation used to mean that the route-session link was lost. Does this still occur under the new amalgamated Driver/Surveyor arrangements in TRS 19 Platinum?

I have not tested it but I would say that your theory is probably correct.

There has always been a way around this.

1. Make a clone of the original session
  2. Edit its config.txt file to change the:-
    1. map-kuid tag value to show the new route kuid
    2. old route kuid found in the kuid-table to the new route kuid

Why sessions are so dark? Can't find settings to brighten things a little so I can see properly what I am doing.. like in T:ANE.

Back