USLW - CN Waukesha Sub (Many Shots)

USLWD
Ever since the hacking of the old Auran forum I never did get around to making a new thread for this route. Anyway...

The CN Waukesha Subdivision (formerly the WC Chicago Sub) is a single track mainline stretching from North Fond du Lac, WI to Schiller Park, IL. I am only modeling the northern-most 35miles of it, Shops Yard, and a few miles north of the yard on the Neenah Sub. When railfanning this line you can see up to 20 to 30 trains a day. Most of these trains are bound from Chicago to western Canada, others include trains to the Twin Cities, Green Bay or North Fond du Lac where most trains either drop or pick up a cut of cars. ONTO THE SCREENIES!!!!!

I will just skip all the old shots and shot you the ones that are most current.

Just north of Lomira is a large printing company called Quad Graphics. These shots are taken just north of the facility and near the south end of Valley Siding. I still need to finish the distant scenery.
21e1cc5569d566b99bbade886cea25b5.jpg

db076a39cff7d2ad35a0238005ad08b3.jpg

393dce463a2e3e36f2368d7682138db6.jpg

quadnorth1.jpg

quadnorth3.jpg
Following the line north we come to Byron and Byron Hill. Byron is unfinished at this time but the top of the hill is almost finished. Byron Hill is about 5 miles in length and has grades near 1%. The hill still requires helper usage daily. This shots older but you kinda get the picture...
NewPoweronTheHill.jpg

Screen_016.jpg

This shot was taken from Lost Arrow Road. This is right at the base of the climb. It is a great place to catch freights in notch 8 making a run at the hill.
Screen_042.jpg
1d8c158419bf696ae3b0b69c72f4ffd4.jpg

I will keep you guys updated as work continues!

Steve

(Nikos took the route for a spin yesterday and here are some screens he took. http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=161810&postcount=197 Most of it is still current)

Last edited:
Is this based on a real place? Looks great.
Kenny

Yeah, it is a real rail line located in east Central Wisconsin. I am using a DEM to get the terrain and grades correct. as this is the area that I usually railfan when I go, I have faith in myself that I am representing the area to the best of my potential. I think I have gotten it pretty close but we'll just wait and see...right? :)

Steve

Looks Great ....How many boards equal 35 Miles?

Looks Great ....How many boards equal 35 Miles? How big is the file?

I might set up some sessions but right now I am more worried about finishing the route. :D

I am not sure how many boards there are on the route but I know there are a lot of them!!!! Right now the CDP is 8MB. I guarantee it will at LEAST quadruple that before the route is finished. Just to let you guys no that I am undecided weather I will make this route payware or freeware. It was originally intended to be payware but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the interest! I will try to get you guys some more screens tomorrow! :wave:

Steve

Wow! Look great! I love the tracks and big white warehouse on background behind! Nice the screenshots, 007007:p :cool:

I dont know what happened to the post I posted but someone deleted it....But nice going there Steve-O

Sorry for no getting around to posting pics but I am friggin SWAMPED with school, sports, and my gf. I will try to keep active with TRS but right now it's tough. I will *maybe* get shots up this weekend.

sorry again,

Steve

'Tsalright, I know how that is. About once every month everyone and their cousin decides to give me some sort of test, paper, project, or other miscellaneous major assignment and make it due in the same 3-5 day stretch.

Sorry for no getting around to posting pics but I am friggin SWAMPED with school, sports, and my gf. I will try to keep active with TRS but right now it's tough. I will *maybe* get shots up this weekend.

sorry again,

Steve

No problem Steve you just do what is more important right now and set this aside....I'll see if I can make it to some of your FB or BB games this year...Ya will have to get me a FULL schedule of all your FB and BB games :D

Looks great! I always knew when we were getting close to Oakfield in Wisconsin when my family would visit, because we'd have to exit at the same ramp as the Quad Graphics facility.
I'd always love when a Wisconsin central freight would roll through.

I don't think an update would hurt would it? :)

I finished this area off probably a month or two ago but here is a shot of a southbound on the heaviest part of the grade. Taken from WI-175.
b3bc3081a5e2e2731685cd670997a85a.jpg

This is the area I have been chipping away at the last two days. It is not even close to being done but it is coming along well.

Lomira, Wisconsin with a Sulfur train from CSX in Chicago...
efcd8a091295c4db8f1ffdb1999b6850.jpg

Then I don't really like this shot...
039ec23ff88d20dcc73e77c0a7ce1a9c.jpg

I will have more as progress continues!!!

Steve

Good ol' WC today :)

The year is 1989 and we are set up just a lil south of Fond du Lac and to our surprise we catch train T002 which is based out of Fond du Lac heading for the Illinois Central's Markham Yard which is south of Chicago and we see a "Green Gator" 'as some crews reefer them' and a WC SD45 in charge of todays revenue with a good sized train in tow....President Ed Burkhardt noted that this has been a very commendable year in many respects. The high level of customer satisfaction that WC enjoys is directly attributable to the great personal interest that each of you has demonstrated in the company since start up....Wisconsin Central commemorated its first year by decorating SD45 6655 in a special paint scheme which soon became the railroad's standard...Ironically, 6655 would be the first SD45 retired, even though WC amassed over 100 other SD45's......So we were lucky to have caught it before it was taken off the WC roster.....

Last edited:
Back