Upgrades vs. New Computer

srr89

Content Creator,Reskinner
Ok, I'm interested in getting some upgrades for my computer, specifically I want a couple more gigs of RAM and a new graphics card. I talked to my dad and he said that because of how old my computer is, it may not be able to be upgraded.

Some info....
The computer runs on Windows XP SP3, with an Intel Pentium 4 Processor, CPU runs at 2.40 GHz, there are 1.75 GB of RAM, and the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

Another thing to add, my computer was built in 2003 and it has been used since then.

My question is, should I get the upgrades, or instead get a brand new high horsepower computer (which I wouldn't get til Christmas)? If anybody needs any more info please ask.

Robby :wave:

Wait till Xmas! I have recently had the same dilema and decided on a completely new start as upgrades were restricted because of age of mobo,
low PSU, need of better cooled case etc etc !!
I have not regretted my decision, John.

Last edited:
I agree. By Xmas, hopefully some of the bugs in windows 7 will be fixed. You could consider purchasing it now (limited sale at the moment). I suspect that the global economy will not be on track by then, so computer manufacturers/vendors will be trying hard to sell what they've got. Prices should come down a bit too.

I'm in the same position as you fwiw but I'm going to try to stretch the comp I've got now for 2 more years...

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Yet another vote for waiting until Christmas! I would only upgrade if the components you get for your old computer can be used later in a new pc. Because your current computer is so old, virtually nothing you get now can be used in a modern computer.

Are you planning on building it (or know someone who can)? Going this route means you can buy the individual components weekly, say, and in a couple of months it's ready to go. I did this for my current pc & never spent more than $140 or so on each individual component.

Darrel

Merry Christmas !

A 6 month old computer is OLD, a 6 year old computer is a RELIC.:hehe:

I have mentioned all your thoughts to my dad, and he said he is going to talk to my uncle (who is a computer tech) and see what he says. If my uncle says "get a new computer" then a new computer it is.

@stagefright - Like I said we're probably just going to buy a new computer if my dad feels a new computer is more worth than getting upgrades.

Robby :wave:

I doubt it is even possible to upgrade the computer you have. Since you are running an nVidia 5200 you are likely connecting it via an AGP port to the motherboard. All new cards are PCI-Express. Secondly, the CPU is probably Socket 423 or 478 which is not upgradable. Thirdly, because the socket type is so old the RAM interface is also outdated. So I'd say a fully new PC is certainly in order here!

Cheerio,
John

John, most of what you say is true, except for the fact that the GPU is connected via a PCI-Express port. But either way since this computer is so old it would be best to get a new one.

I agree with this. My PC is about 5 years old now, has had the upgrade to max RAM and better GPU (nVidia 7900 GS), but there really is no further to take it.

I'm going to wait till November and Win7 and in the meantime do some saving! :D

Paul

My computer is also a relic:p Built in 2003 and still going.. I've pretty much maxed out everything on it, except I have to get a new GPU since mine died(cheaper then a new computer and still having to buy a new GPU) Speaking of which it should be coming today:hehe: I also have my RAM maxed out at a huge 1 gig:hehe::eek: I had to also buy a new PSU to feed the new Graphics card other wise I'd just burn out this card or the entire computer. So I got some work ahead of me today, but it is cheaper then buying a new computer. My next computer I think will be custom built since I will be able to put anything I need or want in it, and has more room to expand then the prebuilt ones. But I will have to wait until the economy turns around and jobs open up so I can get said money to even think about buying a new computer. Upgrading a system can be a lot cheaper then buying new. Not to mention it can actually make it last a while longer and tide you over until it is dust compared to the new computers, which hopefully by that time people will have money to actually spend.
So my vote goes with upgrade, unless of course the upgrade will cost more then a new computer(doubt it) Because I can get a decent GPU for 200(espicelly if I had PCIe) and some more ram for another 50-100 so thats 300USD total. And well 300USD will not buy you a awesome computer by any stretch..You will be lucky to get a CPU.

Ok here's the final result, I'm getting a new computer for Xmas. I will have to help my dad pay for it, but it'll be worth it. :D

And well 300USD will not buy you a awesome computer by any stretch..You will be lucky to get a CPU.

Get a copy of "PC Gamer" magazine, their tech sections has a list of components for building gaming computers each month. For $450 you can build a very good run almost anything computer.

I know I own one.

Harold

Yea, wait till Xmas. :wave:

My computer is only like 3 years old, and I am thinking a year after Windows 7 is released I am going to upgrade to a new computer completely made by me. Or at least get the parts and have a friend of mine do it. I have a four year warranty on it, till I am out of high school, so by that time it will be expired. ;)

Cheers,
Adam

old computers

Look guys I just spent a couple of hrs yesterday playing dos games on a 486

My main personal computer is from '01 or there abouts has 128mb or ram 2.4ghz celeron and no internet I don't know what you are whinging about. I would just upgrade the ram and other things slowly the ram should be ddrram which I belive they still use in most computers.

My main personal computer is from '01 or there abouts has 128mb or ram 2.4ghz celeron and no internet I don't know what you are whinging about. I would just upgrade the ram and other things slowly the ram should be ddrram which I belive they still use in most computers.

Try running TC3 built in routes without stutter or even with moving trains on your main system and I think you will see the problem quite quickly.

Cheerio John

Actually, DDR memory was phased out about 3 years ago, even though you can still buy it by itself to put into an older computer. Even DDR2 is being phased out right now, but still quite popular and still being sold in brand-name computers (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.). DDR3 is the most current and fastest type of memory right now, and is beginning to be sold in brand-name systems.

I know what it's like to play on an older machine - my first computer for myself was an eMachines hand-me-down from my grandma in about 2003/2004. It had an Intel Celeron 1.2 GHz processor, 128 MB SDRAM (the type before DDR), 20 GB hard drive, integrated 8 MB Intel graphics, Windows XP Home Edition, a 17" CRT monitor, and no internet connection. When the monitor died, I got a Dell Dimension C521 (then 2 years later, I got the Gateway I have now, see sig) and my dad sold the eMachines for $20 at the swap meet.

Take care, and good night!

Kyle

Back