UK Steam Era

I'm wondering whether there is anyone/a group "out there" who is/are interested particularly in the UK Steam era;- let's say 1945 - 1955 roughly.
I operate in isolation (but with much enjoyment) with my "2009 World Builder" Edition of Trainz but sometimes speculate about whether there could be a mutually-beneficial exchange of ideas with like-minded souls.
Northeastern

Northeastern, I am also a solo operator. My own interest is North East England and my personal route is NW Durham covering the branches to Consett as well as the ECML between Newcastle and Darlington. I started off with the "Lion and Dartboard" early BR era but have now taken it back to LNER days and the NER late pre-grouping era. A lot of the assets I use are payware which I have commissioned since 2010.

I,too, operate alone, and am relatively new to it all (almost 2 years). The Genesis of it all is train spotting in the late 50s and early 60s, then modelling to Scalefour standards. I'm not a driver, but tend to like to try and create an ambience that I can remember, as realistically as possible. My two current projects are ECML related, one in Northumberland, the other in Durham. I also have an interest in the coal industry, and some day would like to have a go at the Lambton system.
Ian

There is a group, link below, that is interested in creating assets for this time period, it depends how accurate you want the work but a fair but of mine should fit in. If you have any documentation on LNER or PO wagons you'd like to see that might be useful input.

Note to Northeastern depending on your hardware you might like to move to TS12 or TANE, the most recent work is being done in these.

Cheerio John

Northeastern,

The TCWW link that John has provided is handy for information about the groups activities but it does not feature any kind of forum for the exchange of ideas, membership is by invitation and members communicate through a private Google group.

Another UK forum is British Trainz http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk/index.php?sid=1032f9cdf7610a7ad4526c8ef7b8cc32 although this is mainly modern image.

It seems from the responses to your post that there is scope for a Trainz UK Steam Era forum of some kind to cater for a wider audience.

Some options come to mind:

Use this thread in the Trainz forum
Start a Google group
Start a Facebook page
Or
Build you own website with forum using one of the free services - a little technical knowledge helps but is not essential.

Up to you guys !

I agree with John about moving to TS12 (or if you have a good PC & 64bit OS) move to TANE but then it's always easy for me to spend your money (so to speak) :) !

Cheers

Chris M

Northeastern,

It seems from the responses to your post that there is scope for a Trainz UK Steam Era forum of some kind to cater for a wider audience.

Some options come to mind:

Use this thread in the Trainz forum
Start a Google group
Start a Facebook page
Or
Build you own website with forum using one of the free services - a little technical knowledge helps but is not essential.

If we can squeeze early BR Green Diesel into the mix, I'm all for it.

...Like the American locos were they? Heat the water with oil then used the steam to turn the wheels?[.../QUOTE]

Not quite that crude John, but there were a variety of, essentially prototype, diesels most of which turned out to be either under powered, unreliable or both.

The Western Region (being essentially the GWR by another name) went it's own way and built a fleet of diesel hydraulic locos (Westerns, Warships & Hymeks being the main classes), splendid engines !

All the other regions went for diesel electric for the mainline locos and through weight of numbers won the day in the end.

Oddly enough, the longest surviving (in service) ex BR diesel locomotive is the humble 0-6-0 diesel shunter pioneered by the LMS in the 1930s (later Cl 08 & variants) complete with coupling rods !

Chris M

Last edited:
Back