Request for content creator help on a big project.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Some of you are aware as I've mentioned bits and pieces about this here and there. Steamboateng and I are in the midst of a big project for a local heritage and technology museum. We need content creators to assist us with buildings and other structures. We have until the end of April to complete the project and present it to the museum for their use. This will not be a full Trainz TS12 route for them, however, this will be a video for their use. There is no monetary compensation for any of us. Instead we're only mentioning names in the list of credits following the movie.

About the project...
Last year Steamboateng approached the museum for information on the Hoosac Tunnel and North Adams yard. Rather than take something for free, he suggested that he give them a video copy of the route once completed in exchange for information. The people he needed to speak with weren't available at the time and he did some research on his own. As time went on he and I discussed this over this summer and we decided to journey west to North Adams, MA and visit the vicinity. We chose the coldest, snowiest week in December to do this. Steamboateng has done some nice explaining here, so I've copied this in full from another forum we belong to.

The 'Hoosac Project' is a rather simple one; It will cover operations of the Boson & Maine RR from Hoosac Station at the East Portal (Hoosac Tunnel) to the North Adams, Massachusetts yards, about two miles north of the West Portal. The time frame is about 1945, when steam was still king and giant 2-8-4 Berkshires and 4-8-2 Mountains ruled the grade into the Berkshire Hills of northwestern Massachusetts. The Hoosac Tunnel was still electrified (and would be until 1946), Triple headed electric locos pulled the steam trains through the 4.75 mile tunnel powered from an 11kv/25 cycle overhead catenary system. The electrics coupled/decoupled at Hoosac Staion westbound, or North Adams, eastbound. We wish to recreate some of the busy activity between those two points. We won't recreate the tunnel in its entirety; a 30 mph speed limit would take a visually boring 10 minutes; only a mile or so of each end. The entire project will be no longer than 5 miles.
The goal of the project is to provide the Heritage Gateway Museum of Science and Technology, located in North Adams MA. with about 20-30 minutes of video (MP4) depicting freight and passenger operations in the area circa 1940's. The video will be shown at the museum as part of the Hoosac Tunnel exhibit. This is a non-profit undertaking on our part. In exchange we get access to old photos, maps and etc. from the North Adams Historical Society, and the Rowe Historical Society. The photos and maps will be used to model the area.

We have met with Robert Campanile, who runs the museum, and author of 'Images of America – North Adams'; a pictorial publication depicting the town's citizens and industries over time. We also met with Charles 'Chuck' Cahoon, president of the North Adams Historical Society. Chuck has been sending us photos and maps fro the Society's collections, weekly. At the Springfiild (MA) train show this last weekend, we met with Carl Byron, who wrote 'A Pinprick of Light – The Troy and Greenfield Railroad and its Hoosac Tunnel'. The book is a history of the building of the tunnel, and a pretty good read. Carl is a member of the Rowe Historical Society, and has promised us its cooperation in providing additional photos and maps for reference. Rowe, by the way, is the town nearest the east portal (although the east portal is actually located in Florida, MA.)

Steamboateng has been working on the East Portal, though the shorter of the track and with fewer structures, but he's also been building content as well. I've been working the west end from the West Portal through North Adams. I've included the track as far as the Vermont border and south to Adams, MA. Whether we use that part as well is unknown at this time. As we know it's best to have a bunch of terrain and cut back as it's easier to trim than add on when working with the real world DEM-based terrain.

Today, the yard is gone. It's hard to believe that in about 54 years, there's nothing left. By this I mean comparing aerial photos from 1960 to those from today. Even in 1960, the roundhouse, station, and some of the other buildings were still there. There's not even a sign the yard was there at all as everything is grass, trees, and piles of ties along a double track main line with a couple of rusty sidings. Gone is the big B&A roundhouse which once hosted the big mountain type locomotives and NYC Hudsons, as well as the B&M Berkshires. Gone is the beautiful passenger station and all the complex point work around the area. The LCL and cold storage warehouse is now a parking lot, and so is the place where the big Purina grain elevator once sat. The only structures left are an old yard office, in rather poor shape, and the old engine house for the electric motors. This building is now a scrap dealer who doesn't even have a rail connection! The big expanse of green weeds and poison ivy once had five stub-ended tracks between the brick engine house and the yard office on the B&M side. The B&A yard had three interchange tracks between their branch and the B&M. Their small stub-ended yard behind the passenger station is now a parking lot for a supermarket or warehouse.

Using the old photos, maps, drawings, books, and whatever else Chuck has been forwarding to us, I've been able to relay the track as best as possible to the original plan. Compromises of course had to be made due to snap-to-grid issues with the tunnel portals and turntables. The latter actually threw me off a bit and I had to adjust tracks! Even though the B&M had consolidated its engine terminal with its rival the B&A here in North Adams, they still kept the turntable, but tore down the roundhouse.

This is a great project and serves a purpose. Imagine a Trainz TS12 route that actually has a purpose. The route will be part of a teaching tool as it will not just show the trains and the great tunnel, a engineering project in its self, it will also show the importance of the railroad and it's opening of the northern corner of Massachusetts and the region to the outside world.

If anyone is interested in joining us on bringing this to life, please contact steamboateng or myself via PM. Pictures will be available upon request.

John

Last edited:
Will contact you to see if I can help you when I am no longer on the terrible unstable wifi at Atlanta airport.

One question out of curiosity (no show stopper):
Will the route eventually show up on the DLS?

When you get home, PM me. I have a Drop Box account and I will upload what I have done with any content I've included so far along with some of the photos that have been sent to us. Google Earth and Bing become your best friend too. Many of the houses still exist, but the yard buildings are gone. We need the big bridge across the river, a freight house near the Little Tunnel and many, many other buildings. Some of the buildings in place now are place markers and I'll let you know which ones they are. I've got the track in place. Whew!!! Now it's the fun part of placing houses, etc.

Thank you for the help.

John

For the turntables, try removing the snap to grid and the automatic dig hole, and either place a separate dig hole or manually drop the terrain. You might have to extend the 'apron' of the turntable to cover any holes, but then you can place the turntable wherever you want.
This should work for the tunnels also; I seem to remember that's how the S&C route handled that issue.

Good luck!!
Curtis

For the turntables, try removing the snap to grid and the automatic dig hole, and either place a separate dig hole or manually drop the terrain. You might have to extend the 'apron' of the turntable to cover any holes, but then you can place the turntable wherever you want.
This should work for the tunnels also; I seem to remember that's how the S&C route handled that issue.

Good luck!!
Curtis

Hi Curtis,

I'll give that a try as that will solve the worst thing with the turntable.

Thank you!

John

We are planning only a short section of the route for this project; Hoosac Station to North Adams. Because the project goal is essentially a video centering on the various operations through the Hoosac Tunnel, to the North Adams yard and industries, no thought has been given to making it an up-loadable Trainz route.The fact is, we're cutting out about 3 miles of the tunnel because it will be visually BORING! (Pun intended!) The two sides of the tunnel aren't even connected to one another. This project is actually a spin-off from the terminus of two separate routes which will eventually be connected via portals. The eastern side runs from Millers Falls, Massachusetts, to the Hoosac Tunnel East Portal (including about a mile of tunnel); about 50 miles. The second route starts at the West Portal (including about a mile of tunnel) and follows the B&M route through Vermont and New York to the Mechanicville Yard (Albany area); about 50 miles. The entire route has been generated in TransDEM, which has accurately modeled the stunning valleys of the Deerfield and Hoosac Rivers; providing a picture book setting for Trainz to run along.
An upload to the DLS of sections of the route, at some future date, is not out of the question.
While vacationing this last summer with the Chief Mate, we spent a week in the North Adams area. Wishing to clear the Budweiser bugs from my head, I decided to visit the Heritage Gateway Museum of Science and Industry, located in the old B&A yards near downtown North Adams. I met with Robert Campanile there, and because I was modeling the area, broached the subject on obtaining more local info. We talked for an hour or so, and he expressed a genuine interest in my project, so I offered him a video, in exchange for archival photos and maps........................thus was the hatched the germ of the project.
It has now grown into a real project, and we meet more and more folks interested in its progress and outcome.

Secretly nothing more then a bump

no thought has been given to making it an up-loadable Trainz route.The fact is, we're cutting out about 3 miles of the tunnel because it will be visually BORING! (Pun intended!) The two sides of the tunnel aren't even connected to one another. This project is actually a spin-off from the terminus of two separate routes which will eventually be connected via portals.
Clear story.
As I wrote when I replied: No show stopper. Maybe if the movie is a success or you have time after the project you can turn it into 1 route eventually; a phase 2 of the project ;).
Lack of time on my side might be show stopper though. I'll contact John in private and see what there is to do.

I'm not so sure that the short route though the Hoosac Tunnel from Hoosac Station to North Adams would generate enough interest to build it for an upload . The whole route, tunnel included is only about 10 to 12 miles long. While the N. Adams side included a yard and engine facilities to move freight westward and eastward, and included an interchange with the B&A; the east side at Hoosac Station included only a small yard to stack trains moving west. The major interchange points along the complete route were the Deerfeild yard, about 30 miles east of the tunnel, the N. Adams yard, about 2 miles north of the tunnel and the Mechanicville yard, which was 50 miles west of that. The whole route was designed as a point to point operation.

What do you need Built?

What kinds of things do you need created?

I have some experience with buildings that are very detailed.

I would like to give it a try.

Dave

Thanks for your interest, timberdv. We sure can use the help. I'll post a pm giving you more details on the specifics of the project and contact info. I'm expecting more pix and info from several sources in the next day or two.

I'm not sure how much time that I can dedicate to this project, but I'm willing to try if I can. Some info on the buildings that you need would help me make a decision on whether I can commit to this or not.

Mike

Pleased to hear from you leeferr. The buildings we need generally aren't that difficult to model. You can pick a relatively simple one and it shouldn't be that much of a burden. I will elaborate in a pm.
Thanks for your interest.

We have until the end of April to complete the project and present it to the museum for their use.
I just remembered this project and I wondered how things turned out.

So...
Did you find enough content creators?
Did you managed to get it done on time?
Do you have any screenshots to share?

... or did I terribly overlook a topic or other post about this?

I guess the completion date has passed ... it might have been better using several a RR diorama's rather than an entire completed line ... as this is just for a video ... a whole route is not required ... just some rotating trackside camera shots, of trains coming in, and going out, of yard throats, and tunnels, and using the turntable.

North Adams MA sure did a great job of erasing all RR artifacts ... there is barely anything left visible of anything but the 4 tunnel portals

Back