UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

dundun92 - that second shot is quite intriguing....
Yes... I did it with Marky's route, and I did it with yours. I painted the area temporally with snow, took the shot, and then undid the changes! :LOL: I like the effect the HD terrain has on the tracks, esp, with the snowplough...
image.png

That new class 25 is looking excellent dundun, well done!

Some from me of Foxfield; I haven't had a play with the lighting yet so all shots look the same (much as with Swanage) but hopefully the content will be of interest. Some new buildings have made an appearance including the engine shed and some other various sheds:
mFfa1nd.jpg

dSzrntq.jpg

CowXcvh.jpg

kIgkyuk.jpg

by4mXU7.jpg

Pf2cBsD.jpg

oTQpDWY.jpg

While the sheds have been made in Sketchup, poly levels are nice and low so there's no impact on framerates. There are also different variations of each shed (i.e.: with doors open or closed) so a number of combinations will be available and should make for some interesting sessions.

Cheers,

PLP

Great night shots, PLP. It brings up a question I have had, since I am so used to seeing US locos with their big headlights and notice a lot of British steam seems to lack them. Was it common for British trains to run "dark" at night? Or did they maybe only run at night when necessary?

Great night shots, PLP. It brings up a question I have had, since I am so used to seeing US locos with their big headlights and notice a lot of British steam seems to lack them. Was it common for British trains to run "dark" at night? Or did they maybe only run at night when necessary?
Much of the British network was a 24/7 operation, but all railways were fenced, so it was not deemed a requirement to have a headlamp until sometime in the 1980s.

... I am so used to seeing US locos with their big headlights ...
Could be a 'Wild West' legacy thing, outlaws, attacks by disgruntled and displaced native Americans, large buffalos on the track, travelling through great expanses of wilderness, nothing like the genteel British countryside! The need for a large headlamp would have been necessary to see the way ahead!.. I've seen it in wild west movies, maybe!😄

Rob.

Last edited:
The only UK exception I can think of was the protype Deltic which had a large headlamp housing (but no actual lamp, I believe) on the front. Why, I've no idea.

The only UK exception I can think of was the protype Deltic which had a large headlamp housing (but no actual lamp, I believe) on the front. Why, I've no idea.
They thought they might be able to sell some abroad (Canada maybe?) so included a space for the required lamp.

It should be pointed out that all British trains would have carried lamps, but they were only bright enough for other people (signalmen, track workers, etc.) to see the train coming, not bright enough for the driver to see where they were going. The arrangement of lamps (colour and location) gave information about the train type or destination.

It's also worth considering that, even in day time, the distance a driver can see ahead is often shorter than the stopping distance of the train. As such drivers always have to assume that the line ahead is clear of obstacles as far as the signals allow them to proceed.

@neville, you may have seen the Southern Region use discs in place of lamps. In general, the SR used discs in the day time and white lamps at night whereas most of the remainder of the network used lamps regardless of time of day. The lamps in my pictures should be lit, but the scripting for these lamps has been broken ever since TANE I think. The newer lamp scripts work, but I haven't tried to replace these older ones yet.

Cheers,

PLP

As I recall, the first notable example of headlights that actually cast light on the route ahead was on Class 26 locos in the far north of Scotland (they were standard car headlights installed by Inverness TMD around the late 70s/early 80s) though this may well not be the first example. They also had the white headcode discs with lights behind them which were used in the same way as marker lights. Drivers were expected to use the relevant route knowledge to know where they were.

As I recall, the first notable example of headlights that actually cast light on the route ahead was on Class 26 locos in the far north of Scotland (they were standard car headlights installed by Inverness TMD around the late 70s/early 80s) though this may well not be the first example. They also had the white headcode discs with lights behind them which were used in the same way as marker lights. Drivers were expected to use the relevant route knowledge to know where they were.

Yes there was an earlier example - the Inverness class 24s which had the car headlights fitted from around 1967/8. In fact, the lights were transferred to the class 26s when they were withdrawn.

There were also some DMUs fitted with headlights in the early 1970s, for the central Wales line, and then a small batch of class 37s used in west Wales. The reason for both was I think they operated on lines with ungated level crossings.

Last edited:
That 2nd shot in post #19017 by pfx is stunning! The cliffs and rock formations and the landscape in general has been well done. Is it anywhere in particular or a fictitious scene?

Rob.

That 2nd shot in post #19017 by pfx is stunning! The cliffs and rock formations and the landscape in general has been well done. Is it anywhere in particular or a fictitious scene?

Rob.
Thanks Rob. It's a re-imagining of eso's Trecoll Bay route which I've been working on whenever the Edinburgh to Glasgow route starts to become tedious. It's my first foray into HD terrain which has brought it's own trials and tribulations.

Innis

Back