UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

Superb shots R3

A few shots from another one of my work in progress routes

28016469141_8160d33bb1_b.jpg

27479864924_37d66c932a_b.jpg

27991899662_4b32141ea7_b.jpg

27479858914_21603c372a_b.jpg

Wow nexusdj! I have always admired your route building skills and I hope to one day be as good as you. Does this new WIP have a name?

Stickney, Lincolnshire WIP - Best I can do with the content. Made up of a few buildings and some to hide other features. Could do with narrower windows in the gable end and a few less chimneys. Plea to content makers - separate chimneys, doors and windows, please.

Last edited:
Excellent shots all!

A couple more from the WSR:
28234239756_ee572479c4_o.jpg

SDJR No. 88 approaches Dunster West Crossing with a demonstration freight during the 2012 Autumn Steam Gala.

27653084013_4b2a80b02b_o.jpg

GWR Small Prairie No 5542 propels a Hawksworth Autocoach on a Stogmber to Norton Fitzwarren service during the 2015 Spring Steam Gala.

Stickney, Lincolnshire WIP - Best I can do with the content. Made up of a few buildings and some to hide other features. Could do with narrower windows in the gable end and a few less chimneys. Plea to content makers - separate chimneys, doors and windows, please.

Will this do? Modular design. I have had a play about with my Okehampton station...

gestationa_zpsnzkmqcu1.jpg

Wow, that's amazing! Looks more true to life than mine. No offence to the creator who has his content all over my map. I was wondering today what to do about Boston Parish Church - The "Stump", and Lincoln Cathedral, so I also had a play around with the bits and pieces of English Gothic Cathedral and came up with this result and I'm rather pleased with them. Considering the fact that the tracks don't come that close it will be hard to detect what's wrong with them.

Thanks - very helpful. Some of those pictures show me things I couldn't see in the ones I found. This means a small delay while I correct some errors...

It's difficult to make things without accurate drawings. One tends to get things out of scale, even only slightly. I know of the creator who made the LBSCR station models you and many others have been using. Indeed, my first experiment in modelling was to re-texture them (with permission) in SR livery. Soon after, I paid a visit to Heathfield station on the 'Cuckoo Line'. The station building still exists (now a cookware shop and cafe). I expressed an interest, and, after a short delay, during which I enjoyed a cup of excellent coffee, I was presented with the original drawings for the station buildings, on which all the dimensions were laid out, which were still in the keeping of the present owner. I purchased another coffee and photographed all of them. On returning home, it appeared that the previous models of LBSCR stations on Trainz were actually about 15% undersized. I therefore set about making my own set of models, starting with Heathfield itself. Since then, I have managed to get fairly close to several other things, working from photographs alone. But - nothing beats some plans!

I just wish I knew how to make my own as I have loads of photographs and would go and take photos specifically to model. A good yardstick is to know that the height of a door is around 6'-6" to 7' high, so if you work out the height of a building in doors, if you can see one, you aren't going to be far out, but I guess you know this. Anyway, what program do you use if you don't mind me asking? If it's a steep learning curve, I've got loads of patience. I'd like to start by making a few of these enamels - https://www.flickr.com/photos/8340239@N07/albums/72157645357232715/page2

escafield said:
Wow, that's amazing! Looks more true to life than mine. No offence to the creator who has his content all over my map. I was wondering today what to do about Boston Parish Church - The "Stump", and Lincoln Cathedral, so I also had a play around with the bits and pieces of English Gothic Cathedral and came up with this result and I'm rather pleased with them. Considering the fact that the tracks don't come that close it will be hard to detect what's wrong with them.

absence of flying buttresses?

Last edited:
Why did you use pieces oh rail (multiple industry?) to make squares? Cheers, jpereira

The track is 100m long and the maps I use are divided into 1k squares. I import the maps into CorelDraw 10 and drop 100m squares on top for accuracy. I've tried other methods, especially baseboards, which I use to use in 2004, but don't work for me in TS12.

absence of flying buttresses?

To be added when I get to that part of the map. I'll just copy and paste what I've done so far and finish off later. The detail is too fine to see from the station anyway, but thanks for your input, which is most welcome. Regards, Dave

I just wish I knew how to make my own as I have loads of photographs and would go and take photos specifically to model. A good yardstick is to know that the height of a door is around 6'-6" to 7' high, so if you work out the height of a building in doors, if you can see one, you aren't going to be far out, but I guess you know this. Anyway, what program do you use if you don't mind me asking? If it's a steep learning curve, I've got loads of patience. I'd like to start by making a few of these enamels -

If you are going to try your hand at creation, you have a choice of two different systems. Blender is a very popular program, but I use the other - 3dsMax. Actually, for Trainz content, I use the stripped-down version of it - Gmax. This is because the vast number of bells and whistles in 3dsMax are not needed for Trainz content, there is a plug-in for Trainz which provides you with the exporters needed to get your model into the simulator - and it's free.

Whichever program you choose, an enamel sign would be a good starting point. All you need to do is to create a simple flat plane and texture it with your picture of the sign. This will teach you about UVW mapping, which is probably the single most important thing to master. Then you can move on to making a simple house, for example. There are several good tutorials on line. Actually, in principle, it's just like making a cardboard model and sticking photographs to it. Whichever program you choose, it is quite a steep learning curve, but I found i was able to grasp the general principles after a few hours of playing about.

I have made a quick sign using one of your pics and attached it to the station building wall. It took me about a minute to do. It will take you longer, but you will soon get the hang of it. Have a go. PM me when you get stuck!

gebb_zps1vg446ey.jpg

Back