ugly trains

Maybe the person painting this was colorblind.

6432089407_8f0c6b0903_z.jpg

Clearly that was once a beautiful 0-6-0, but then some nut went colour happy and ruined it, probably dented up the dome with the one of their many paint cans.

Saturnr

It's probably just any color excess primer that they found laying around in volunteers garages, or what was on sale at HomeDepot

This 0-6-0 switcher was built as #49 for Georgia Railroad by Baldwin in 1896. During its 45 year service on GA it was renumbered #722 and then #724. In 1941, it was sold to East St. Louis Junction Railroad in National City, IL, and renumbered #17. In 1951, it was sold to St. Louis Material & Supply in Pacific, MO, and then to Basic Materials who donated it to the museum in 1964. #724 weighs 112,900 lbs, has 49" drivers and
19" x 24" cylinders. At a boiler pressure of 180 psi, it delivered 26,510 lbs tractive effort. Its various parts have been colour coded for information purposes.

Last edited:
I use agricultural oxide as an undercoat when I'm restoring locos. First step in weatherproofing. This looks like the same.

BULLET TRAINS LOOK LIKE A SUBWAY'S CRAP

2012-10-02+18.15.01.jpg

bullet-train-with-flat-hood.jpg

high-speed-train-1024x643.jpg

Some examples of these poor excuses of "trains", they're more like monorails.

now here are the most BEAUTIFUL locos

cp_sd40-2_5993-2.gif

6419-11-11-12-mt.jpg

8051.1220581055.jpg

21284457791_3c536d84de.jpg

8316_SP_EMD_SD40T-2.JPG

BUT...

My least favorite North American Locos

amt230_f40ph.jpg

I HATE THE PAINT JOB

th

f*ck CN ES44ACs

I think that only the most recent Shinkansens are ugly such as the E5 or E6 with their exageratley long nose. Insead the trainsets from 0 to 700 are very beautiful.

Italy is the land of 3000v DC electric system and the first wich introduced electric traction for mainline services.
We had AWERSOME EMUs such as the Ale 582 (FS-Trenitalia) and EB750 (Ferrovie Nord Milano)
440px-Elettromotrice_FNM_E.750-24.jpg

And the E86 from FTM (Ferrovia Trento-Malè-Marilleva)
15-ftm-mt.jpg

And we ended up with THIS:

Firema-Nuovo-treno-Mcne-Alfa2-006.jpg

Firema-Nuovo-treno-Mcne-Alfa2-001.jpg

This is the new trainset for MCNE (Metrocampania Nord-Est) a private company. It's called Alfa 2.

Some examples of these poor excuses of "trains", they're more like monorails.

Oh yes, those pathetic bullet trains, what a pityful excuse of a "train", I mean it's not like they run the fastest, most efficient and safest passenger railway system in the world, is it? :eek:
A Japanese railway engineer would take one look at the GPA-30Hs with their top speed of what, around 80mph, and laugh.

Last edited:
nathanmallard said:
I mean it's not like they run the fastest, most efficient and safest passenger railway system in the world, is it?
aembarsd.gif

But...the second two are still ugly. No matter how efficient or fast they are, they're still really ugly.

The last one even reminds me of a lying Pinocchio! When i think of a train, i usually don't think about Pinocchio...except now.

watemple said:
....what? You hate F40PH's but you love VIA's GPA-30H's which are rebuilt F40's with just a bit more pizzazz....
aconfsd.gif

Yeah, i don't get it either. And i'm sure no one else does, too.

Last edited:
Interesting to get a comment of attractive North American locos (CPRailSD40-2). For me over the years I have mused the opposite as they look chunky and box like and not very modern streamlined.

That's what I like about em'.
madera_sugarpine_co-thunder.jpg

I love stuff like this that looks like it is being held together by string and tape and was fished out of the discount bin at a garage sale.

That's what I like about em'.

I love stuff like this that looks like it is being held together by string and tape and was fished out of the discount bin at a garage sale.
Old Betsy! That piece of junk was one of the first steam locomotives in my part of California. It was a geared 0-4-0. The builder is believed to be Rose & Company of San Francisco, California. Weighing only 7 tons, its life hauling logs on the Madera Sugar Pine Lumber Co. was short but it ran for many years as a switcher both at their mill and in the camps. Scrapped in 1937. But I do agree, it is terribly ugly.

For me over the years I have mused the opposite as they look chunky and box like and not very modern streamlined.
I was thinking the same thing. Whilst American diesels are not ugly per se, they really aren't particularly attractive. Functional, but not really visually appealing. British and European diesels are much nicer to look at IMO, especially the early ones like the Deltic prototype, the Westerns and Warships, and 'Lion' and 'Kestrel'. The Alco FAs/PAs, the Baldwin RF16s and the F- and E- series streamliners are beautiful though, but the latter might have lasted longer if EMD had come up with a double-cabbed variant.

Back