TRS22 Vs TRS19 - Honest Opinions Please?

I've got 2019 and 2022 and I like 2019 over 2022. Not that impressed with 2022 so far even though I'm route building in it. 2019 has a lot more content in it and you can get it in a box set if you want. Always prefer a hard copy than digital download.

2019 has a lot more content in it

Are you sure about that?

Also, if you own both 19 and 22, then all the 19 content can be installed in 22 so you get thousands more items in total (including a bunch of new rolling stock).

and you can get it in a box set if you want.

Actually, this option has not been available for a few years now.

To make a "hard copy" simply download and save the installer to an external drive.

Good Day Folks,

At this point, with 4+ year old Laptop, NVIDIA 1050 GPU not upgrade able of course, due it be soldered to Mother Board, I have to lay out another 1500-2500$ for new Laptop with min 6 Gig VRam, if I go to 8 Gig forget it, it comes with heat and battery exhaustion issues ( Battery Brick needed or Plug in all the time)

And I like my Trainz 19 Platinum, for me, it does everything I need for now.......;)

For new Folks depending on their likes of complexity I think the stage is set for 19 against 22, if 22 you probably need a brand new Laptop/Desktop to take advantage of all 22 niceties. I need to wait, for now save my monies. For a Lenovo Legion 7 Or Asus Strix Models. :(

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/c/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series :cool:

OR THE SAME TYPE AS MY CURRENT LAPTOP
ASUS 17.3" Republic of Gamers Strix Scar 17 Gaming Laptop (Off Black) :p

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-scar-17-2022-series/

Thank you for excellent discussion of TRS22 vs TRS19 very helpful to me.:wave:

Hi Vern,

Like yourself, my only real area of interest in Trainz is route building. As S20 isn't part of the standalone version of TRS22, there wasn't any inclination on my part to buy it. I was sort of loathe to get into the subscription model though, but having seen comments from a route and content creator I have a lot of respect for, I was convinced to spend some beer vouchers (I have no issue with this if I think it's worth it) and went for Trainz Plus a couple of days ago.

Until today, I'd only had a cursory glance at TRS22 and S20, the latter appearing very confusing to a first time user. I thought I'd made a huge mistake but, fortunately, there is a very comprehensive guide to S20 and I having been working my way through it today. I'm a definite convert. If your focus is route building, S20 is a game changer. As a new user, I found it initially intimidating and I would say anyone new to it may well feel the same, but once you realise what it can do... Wow! The UI does take a bit of getting to grips with as it is radically different to the old Surveyor UI but at the same time, vaguely familiar. If you're really stuck, there's an option to switch back to the old style Surveyor.

I'll happily hold my hands up and say I've made some negative comments about the new Trainz model and I'm going to eat an entire humble pie right now, online.

Cheers,
Innis

This is very much my experience Innis. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? I've found S20 a huge challenge, but then I've been using S1.0 for over 17 years, so it's pretty ingrained. However, I'm now working on a layout in TRS22 and the great thing is you can go backwards and forwards between the two and compare how to do things. At the moment I find track placement in S20 particularly good because you don't have all those rotating spline circles filling the screen (though I haven't yet worked out how to do track straightening, so have to go back into S1.0 to do a 'B'). I'm getting there, but slowly!

Paul

(though I haven't yet worked out how to do track straightening, so have to go back into S1.0 to do a 'B'). I'm getting there, but slowly

That's easy in S20. With the track section selected (highlighted in green), click its Context Icon (or press the "T" key) and select "Straighten Spline" from the popup menu.

Thanks. I hadn't spotted the need to hightlight the track section (I was focused on the spline point). It's easy when you know how!

Paul

When my old computer died after a mere 10 years, I lost my trusty TANE, so when I finally bought a new computer I bought trs19 and 22. At that time, trs22 was still in its infancy and I couldn't see there was much I could do with it, so I spent most of last year creating routes in trs19. Now, however, I decided it was time to finally come to grips with Survyeyor 2. I can see it will be much better at some things, but as others have said, it is far from intuitive and mostly takes half a dozen steps where formerly one or two sufficed.
Anyway, I am slowly trying to create a new route, but I have got stuck: I can't find a station anywhere. I assume they are Scenery Objects but so far I haven't found one. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

Anyway, I am slowly trying to create a new route, but I have got stuck: I can't find a station anywhere. I assume they are Scenery Objects but so far I haven't found one. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

Correction: I have now found stations. I swear they weren't there before! My next trick will be to divide them into several groups: those that come with track, those that come with buildings as well and those that have buildings but no track.

Here's a question. I have multiple tracks leading out of a station. One of them isn't curving quite as I want and I would like to insert one or more very short straight sections to correct this. With the old surveyor, I would simply insert two spine points, straighten track and voila. Now, I'm not sure if I use placement tool or movement tool or what - seems I can insert a temporary spine point and move that, but not two.
Suggestions, please.

Now, I'm not sure if I use placement tool or movement tool or what - seems I can insert a temporary spine point and move that, but not two.
Suggestions, please.

If the track is already present then use either the Free Movement Tool or the Fine Adjustment Tool, then:-

1. Click on the track where you want the first spline point placed
  2. Either click on the Context Icon or press "T"
  3. Select Insert Spline Point Here from the popup menu
  4. Click on the track where you want the second spline point placed
  5. Either click on the Context Icon or press "T"
  6. Select Insert Spline Point Here from the popup menu
  7. Repeat as required

If the track is already present then use either the Free Movement Tool or the Fine Adjustment Tool, then:-

1. Click on the track where you want the first spline point placed
  2. Either click on the Context Icon or press "T"
  3. Select Insert Spline Point Here from the popup menu
  4. Click on the track where you want the second spline point placed
  5. Either click on the Context Icon or press "T"
  6. Select Insert Spline Point Here from the popup menu
  7. Repeat as required

Many thanks. I have copied this for reference,

Hi Vern,

This is great for running long continuous operating session over days or weeks.

This is what I love so much about 22. I like for my Trainz sessions to be one, big, dynamic railroad operation. Mainline trains spawning at portals and navigating themselves to another portal, while the entire route is staged with rolling stock and locomotives so I can do local and yard work, picking back up where I left off the last time I played. I also like to upgrade crossings in routes to TRC. For bigger routes, this all takes a lot of time, so I can do a little work and then seemlessly transition to playing with what I've done. If I feel like doing more work, I can seemlessly transition right back. For example, I have a session I've been running on the Centrella Sub for about a year and all of the crossings were upgraded in increments along the way.

Back