TRS22 Steam Version - On Sale

Vern

Trainz Maverick
As part of Steam's train sim festival (which I originally thought was just DTG stuff, TSC and TSW) TRS22 finally got quite a nice discount - in the UK selling at £31.34 which is far more reasonable than the full asking price of £55! I assume other regions will get a similar discount. So if, like me, you've held out for a reasonable discount, now is the time to take the plunge.

Looks similarly priced here in the USA. $39.89 USD (-43%)

I personally don't like how steam entangles it's self into most games they sell, so I prefer to buy direct if possible.

Nice! I'm seriously tempted to make the upgrade.

JUST ONE QUESTION: Is the Steam version still compatible with DLC purchased from the Trainz Store? Or would I need to buy all of my DLC from the Steam Store instead?

Good question.

(Seems the following is WRONG)

DLC is NOT cross-compatible. Any official DLC for the Steam version must be bought on Steam, even if you already own it on Sim Central and vice-versa.

Sim Central DLC will work on Steam version of Trainz, but not vice-versa. (see Zec's post here )

:eek::'(

Of course 3rd party stuff, like K&L Trainz or Jointed Rail (bought off their site) works in both versions.

And that's another thing, they are literally different build numbers, so they aren't 100% the same. They are 99.9999999999% the same, but not 100%, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Actually DLC bought from N3V works with a game bought from Steam, but not the other way around. Zec confirmed it as below.

Hi All
So long as you enter your MyTrainz account's username and password into the settings in Trainz, you will be able to access the DLC packs in the Steam version of Trainz.

For TRS19, these will show under 'purchased' in the Content Store for download. Note that due to the way that Steam handles DLCs, the versions from the Trainz Store will show under their ID number (ie 'simc:scXXX' or 'simc:XXX'), rather than their names. You can find a listing of DLC pack IDs here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:In-game_Downloading#Complete_DLC_Listing

Regards

If that's true, does that mean that the DLC I got from my TRS19 Platinum purchase (made through N3V) can still be used in the Steam version? If that is the case, then I would love to take advantage of the sale.

If that's true, does that mean that the DLC I got from my TRS19 Platinum purchase (made through N3V) can still be used in the Steam version? If that is the case, then I would love to take advantage of the sale.

Seems to.

Steam will refund if you have played less than a certain amount of time, an hour (edit: actually 2 hrs) I think it is, you should be able to tell in that time if you have access to your N3V bought DLC.

Last edited:
I did forget about that, though I believe any refunds go into your steam wallet - so you would only be able to use it on other games purchased from Steam. Still, I'm going to give it a try later tonight, so I'll let you guys know how it goes for me when I do.

Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any title that is requested within 14 days of purchase and has been played for less than 2 hours (this includes online, offline and shared library playtime). Even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can submit a request and we'll take a look at it.

They don't mention where the refund goes, it would seem if the request is made within 24 hours, the charge will probably removed from your payment method. If after 24 hours then I think it does go in your Steam Wallet.

Right, purchased TRS22 and played around with it for a bit. Few things I wanted to point out for anyone interested in buying it through Steam with the sale:

1: All of the content that I purchased through N3V was still available to use, and I was able to easily reset the data folder to the one I used for TRS19 so that I didn't have to reinstall anything, though the database rebuild did take quite a while. Honestly, you'll probably want to buy all of your DLC content through N3V's store (rather than Steam) so that you can access store points for future discounts, as well as having the ability to use your purchases in non-Steam copies of the game should you decide to buy a future version of the game from N3V directly.

2: I did a quick drive though part of my current CP&P route, and it performed well, at least even with TRS19, possibly better in some minor respects.

3: You will need a first-class ticket to download the new routes at any reasonable speed, as they do not come pre-installed - I don't have one currently, so I'll wait to download them until I do.

4: I have a decent internet connection, so it took less then 20 minutes for Steam to install the game on my laptop, though that's also in part because of my SSD. Still, reasonable installation time is a plus.

One thing to be aware of. TRS22 comes with a complimentary one month FCT. Problem is, it auto activates so it’s now running concurrently over my existing 3 month FCT which still has about a week to run. So effectively I’ve lost a week of FCT. Guess a note to the Helpdesk in order requesting an extension to one or the other.

As regards DLC, everything I had in TRS19 was purchased from N3V or well part of the package. So I’m expecting that will just come across once I open the store and download. But yes, items I had in TANE which is the Steam version such as Murchison and the Montana electric route Avery to Drexel, purchased as Steam DLC never offered up into 19 so expect that will be the same in 22.

Yep, DLC purchased from Steam only downloads from Steams servers so it is available only to Steam versions. N3V store DLC downloads from the N3V servers through the in game store so it is available in all versions.

As to version numbers, programs running under Steam are slightly modified to allow Steam to manage them. Game play is totally the same as the N3V version.

Just checked the Trainz Store and yes, the content I purchased for TANE (Steam) is available to download into TRS22 (Steam) yet wasn't in TRS19 (direct digital purchase).

Certainly a bit anomalous - go figure!

One thing to be aware of. TRS22 comes with a complimentary one month FCT. Problem is, it auto activates so it’s now running concurrently over my existing 3 month FCT which still has about a week to run. So effectively I’ve lost a week of FCT. Guess a note to the Helpdesk in order requesting an extension to one or the other.

As regards DLC, everything I had in TRS19 was purchased from N3V or well part of the package. So I’m expecting that will just come across once I open the store and download. But yes, items I had in TANE which is the Steam version such as Murchison and the Montana electric route Avery to Drexel, purchased as Steam DLC never offered up into 19 so expect that will be the same in 22.

Intersting - just checked and it's true. That's definitely nice, now I can download a few of the TRS22 routes I've been holding out for.

One thing to be aware of. TRS22 comes with a complimentary one month FCT. Problem is, it auto activates so it’s now running concurrently over my existing 3 month FCT which still has about a week to run. So effectively I’ve lost a week of FCT. Guess a note to the Helpdesk in order requesting an extension to one or the other...

Same happens with the 31 day 1st class ticket that comes with the not steam discounted version supplied by N3V. I've just purchased TRS22 retail version for £28, I got a further £4 discount as I had enough 'pointz', the 1st class ticket was auto activated and valid until 27th June, I have existing 1st class ticket valid until 12th August! Help desk ticket raised and hopefully all will be sorted!

Rob.

Same happens with the 31 day 1st class ticket that comes with the not steam discounted version supplied by N3V. I've just purchased TRS22 retail version for £28, I got a further £4 discount as I had enough 'pointz', the 1st class ticket was auto activated and valid until 27th June, I have existing 1st class ticket valid until 12th August! Help desk ticket raised and hopefully all will be sorted!

Rob.
Helpdesk sorted it for me so you should be fine. Apparently this is now the procedure even though it cuts across those who already have a FCT active.

Let me know how you get on - I'm finding 22 is pushing the hardware more with the same route than in 19. Visions of the cat hair conversations again... :)

Helpdesk sorted it for me so you should be fine. Apparently this is now the procedure even though it cuts across those who already have a FCT active.

Let me know how you get on - I'm finding 22 is pushing the hardware more with the same route than in 19. Visions of the cat hair conversations again... :)

Glad to read you're sorted, that bodes well for me! If that's the norm with the complimentary 1st class tickets then it's a PITA for those who already have an active 1st class ticket, I don't understand N3V's logic behind that rather silly plan!

I'll let you know how I find TRS22 vs. TS2019 but I don't plan on installing TRS22 until the week after next.

Rob.

If that's the norm with the complimentary 1st class tickets then it's a PITA for those who already have an active 1st class ticket, I don't understand N3V's logic behind that rather silly plan!

I suspect it could be a response to the complaints they get about FCTs not working because the users did not know that they had to activate them. So it is a "Catch-22" situation.

1. Auto-activation solves the complaints issue but means that those who already have a working but limited time FCT will have your issue (and may not even know about it) OR
  2. Self-activation solves your particular issue but not the complaints about FCTs not working.

Back