Asset Database Backup: Wow! Over 20,000 files!

Not authorized is due to running the two copies at the same time. I've done the same before and got completely confused.

Not true: I have both copies running at the same time right now, and that is all sorted out with my account name showing correctly with both. I don`t know just how I got it to work (i.e., the path I took to get there), but going back to that dialog in the Win7 version had, for some unknown reason, reverted to what you get after installing for the first time, i.e. for an unregistered installation. I clicked on the link and put in my details, and everything is all fixed -- except it has given me the user ID of -2 and the widget to correct that is disabled. Huh. When I exited and reloaded, it started a Database Build on its own. Note that I said Build, not Rebuild. Seemed to take forever, but it was probably less than two hours, perhaps less than one. When that finally finished, I went into Content Manager, whereupon I tried to load the Faulty filter. Similar "forever" results, with 28 items listed when that finally finished. I tried the View Errors and Warnings that JCitron posted in another thread (thank you for that), except that it didn`t help for any of the few I`ve tried so far. I loaded up the Win10 version, with similar results, except as follows: It did not do a Build Database. When I entered my details, it got the user number correct. When I tried to view with the Faulty filter, it took (seemed to take, anyway) even longer. Now, when I view Faulty, the Win7 version comes back after a few seconds, [Oops! accidentally closed the whole bleeping WINDOW, but when I returned, all my half-entered text was still there!], with 28 faulty assets, while the Win10 version still takes "forever", but eventually comes back with 0 assets listed. Trying both again just now, I get the same results except both take only seconds now. I think that that about covers that, except that somewhen while doing that, and after identifying which trainzbase was which, I renamed the "build xxxxxxx" directories to Win7 and Win10, to make it easier to tell them apart in the future. In the process of pointing both programs to the new names (which I now know can be done in NotePad!), each one created yet another new "build xxxxxxx" directory, with brand-new "xxxxxxx" numbers. I just deleted those. It looks like I`ve got the Win10 version all sorted out now, and the one remaining problem that I know about in the Win7 version isn`t particularly important to fix.

I won`t post about this again, unless one, the other, or both of the following happen: (1) Something else related to the upgrade installation happens (fingers metaphorically crossed, although I don`t really believe that that could possibly help), or (2) Someone makes a post here that requires a reply. Of course I hope that (1) does not happen.

Awhoops! I just had a crash-to-reboot while doing something Trainz-related in another program. At the time, I had both versions of Trainz22 open and showing (only!) a Content Manager window each. Both programs were just idling, waiting for me to do something. Should I do a trainzbase index repair on (both of) them before doing anything else?

Awhoops! I just had a crash-to-reboot while doing something Trainz-related in another program. At the time, I had both versions of Trainz22 open and showing (only!) a Content Manager window each. Both programs were just idling, waiting for me to do something. Should I do a trainzbase index repair on (both of) them before doing anything else?
MasterTracklayer,

I need to clear something up and I may be dyslexic here:

Am I to understand that you run both Win 7 and 10 on same computer?

If so, they are on separate partitions? Yes

And you would need to reboot to get to your Boot Mgr choosing 7 or 10 Wins OS? Yes

And in both Trainz programs, you show exactly the same missing or faulty items?

And would you check number of items in Assets installed at the bottom of your Content Manager Grand Total.

One of them should be quite different from the other, since they are different Versions of Trainz? Yes

Now with the issues of Trainz saying this is not Authorized, Arithmetically or Boolean, think of it this way, when you go online, or Start Trainz, it calls into the head Office NV3 for Name Password and which version you have to let you open Trainz Program, with that said and if I am correct, you are only allowed to have one Authorized Copy of X Version of Trainz on One Physical Computer. So with you switching between both OS's on Same Computer, Trainz will only allow the one.

The other Version would need to be another Computer.

However I found this on the Forum:

1.) Can i run TRS19 legally on two computers, both used only by myself? (iMac and MacBook Pro)
2.) If I can legally run on two computers, is it possible to start a session on one and continue the session on the other computer? (session sync)

Thanks.

tane, '19, '22, TrainzPlus, Plus beta, Gold. RTX 4070 on PC; Mac M1 mini
On hiatus somewhere in Shangri-La

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da​

1. "Legally" here are the relevant parts from the EULA (you can find this doc in the /data folder in your Install folder).

2.2 This Software is licensed to you. It is NOT sold.

4 Grant of License
4.1 Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, N3V grants to you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to:
(a) install and use the Software, at any one time, on a single stand alone computer in accordance with normal operating procedures as notified by N3V from time to time; and
(b) either:
(i) make one copy of the Software that is in electronic form solely for back-up or archival purposes in support of your permitted use of the Software; or
(ii) transfer the Software that is in electronic form to a single hard disk, provided you keep the original solely for back-up or archival purposes.

2. Technically you cannot "sync" two builds, but we are working on a system where syncing will be possible across a multitude of users or multiple platforms.
Tony Hilliam

NEED HELP? Check these links:

Trainz Plus Features |
Support Portal | Surveyor 2.0 Guide | TRS19 FAQs | Trainz Wik

cascaderailroad

I don't know whether iPortal still works, but it can send trains from one PC, to another PC, and send them to another unopened route on your PC's

cressjl

Tony,

It is truly a shame that I just found this out upon paying the Gold Membership fee for the year. At download time this fact became clear.

It seems that in the past it was always possible to install a copy on my laptop and desktop systems. Since I was the only one playing the game, this allowed me to have the high-performance system at home, and the portable "lite" version on the road. I could play the game on the road, but develop routes at home (as well as experience the full capability of TANE).

But this is not permitted? The agreement clearly indicates "install and use...on a single stand alone..."

So, what do those of us that have a Gold Membership do? Pay the fee twice? Are you going to provide a separate license fee for additional machines?

Ok, there is indeed some confusion here. I will try to answer your questions in order, if I can.

1) No.

2) Not applicable. (See 1.)

3) Not applicable. (See 1.)

4) No. They use independent version-specific data directories, both located inside the directory that is created to contain them. To confirm: Separate data directories, both in same parent directory.

5) I don`t dare until I know if not rebuilding the tranzebase index is likely to cause problems.

Thank you for performing research on my behalf. I will now explain why I believe the remainder is not relevant.

I have a license for Trainz22. I also have licensees for three older products, but they are currently not installed on any functional computer, save possibly in a defunct partition that is not currently accessible.

I have Trainz22 installed on this computer and this computer only.

This computer runs Win10, and does not run Win7.

When I downloaded Trainz22 originally, I was not sure which version of Windows I was running, so I downloaded and installed the Win7 build of Trainz22 on my Win10 computer. I then began downloading and installing Download Station content into my Win7 build on Win10.

I discovered the winver command and it told me that I have Win10 installed.

Knowing now that I really do have Win10, I downloaded the Win10 build of Trainz22; I tried to install it over the Win7 build of Trainz22, but accidentally installed it in a different location.

I then attempted to update the Win10 build of Trainz22 with all of the content I had previously downloaded for the Win7 build of Trainz22.

When I discovered that I had accidentally been installing Download Station content into the folder dedicated for the Win10 build of Trainz22 with the Win7 build of Trainz22, I located the shortcut for running the Win10 build of Trainz22, and have arranged to be able to locate the icon more readily. I.E., I was accidentally using the wrong program to download for the new install.

While testing to make sure that everything was as it should be, I launched both programs simultaneously to make sure that neither was broken, and both were correctly configured, and to fix what I could, if necessary.

The Win10 build of Trainz22 is apparently properly installed and configured, save for being located in the wrong directory, although I did have to correct some settings to do so..

The Win7 build of Trainz22, on the other hand, is apparently slightly broken with regard to the user ID it believes is assigned to me, but I still tried to correct any other incorrect settings.

Just after achieving this state, I left both versions running while researching gamescript. During this research, the computer spontaneously rebooted.

I want to run the new version, not the old one, though it is nice to have as a backup for the current version. Uninstalling the old one is not really an issue, except insofar as doing so might screw with the new one, something that I do not have an answer to.

Do I have to rebuild the database index before I do anything, or will the database be ok without? Will uninstalling the Win7 build screw up the Win10 build that is currently installed in parallel on the same machine? I want answers before I do anything that might harm my ability to use my game.

Edit: If I don`t get an answer to this soon enough, I`ll have to choose myself. I`m inclined to rebuild and accept the possibility that the rebuild causes (minor) rather than risk possibly worse if I don`t. Please, anyone, advice?

Last edited:

Go here to get the answer.

And anytime your going to do a new install, I would highly recommend the DBR as last thing before backing up your file directory's.

But one thing for sure, please copy your current Folder to separate backup Drive or Cloud, but since your Download speeds are not reliable and slow, I would use a Portable Drive.

Below is very important info, which listed in the Yellow Square of the link above.

I hope this helps you in Quest. ☺️

the new User Data Folder you create will NOT delete your current User Data Folder but will be a completely separate install and can be on a different drive
DotPoint.JPG
you can add new assets (from the DLS, DLC, your own creations) so it will become an "Alternate" User Data Folder
DotPoint.JPG
depending on your available storage space you can have many "Alternate" User Data Folders installed and can switch Trainz back-and-forth between them as often as you like
DotPoint.JPG
only those assets in your currently selected User Data Folder will be available for use in Trainz

Your Win7 copy probably crashed at one point and "ate" its connection to the database. This is a rare thing in TRS22 but was very common in early T:ANE where if you look at it the wrong way on the wrong day this could occur randomly.

With the Trainz install you can:

Copy the complete kit and kaboodle to another drive or computer and run that without reinstalling. We do that all the time for test copies.
Install a second copy on another machine, or on the same machine. This is also good for testing and traveling and has the same results as above.

In the past, we have had TRS19 kick us out if we ran two copies, thus my comment above. Usually with Trainz, past performance guarantees current and future results.

You can install all previous versions of the program, all pointing to their own data-folders. Most run fine except for TRS2006 which has issues with the network. Surprisingly, TRS2004 installs and runs fine without complaints. TS2009 thru TS12 have no issues.

1 You can not overwrite an existing Trainz install. This is only possible as an update.
2 Have you entered your used name and password into the MyTrainz tab?
3 Which TRS did you download from MyTrainz?

stagecoach:
1) I never said that I had; I only said that I thought I had, and that it turned out that I had not.
2) Yes. Definitively yes.
3) Trainz22 only, but both the build for Win7 and the build for Win10.

JCitron:

Definitely possible.

I know all of that.

I did not know that, but it does not surprise me.

I know that; (I did not that but am not surprised) times three.

blueodessey: I know absolutely all of that already, and not one single bit is relevant to my current situation, except that I have already done it all at one time or another.

Everybody: I am sorry if I am beginning to get cross and grumpy, et al, but after five hours and multiple responses, not one person has answered the one question I have:

Will running a database index right now, with the indices in a unknown state due to an unscheduled reboot while the programs were running with an open Content Manager window but otherwise idle, be more likely to make things better or to make them worse?
Since no-one has been able to answer this one question, I will run the blasted reindexing operation and hope for the best. Not to worry, I will make a backup copy of both databases first. Between running the backup and running the "repair" operation, this is likely to take hours. Hours that I had been hoping to work on coding some projects for Trainz but will not be able to, because the files that need editing will be busy with this attempted repair job.

I`m sorry that my grumpiness is showing, but I have been growing steadily more frustrated for several hours, and trying to suppress it in my writings. There should be no surprise that it is beginning to leak through despite my best efforts.

Edit: I will be going OFFLINE during the backup operation. I will check back in when it has finished. One last chance to answer my question.

Last edited:
stagecoach:
1) I never said that I had; I only said that I thought I had, and that it turned out that I had not.
2) Yes. Definitively yes.
3) Trainz22 only, but both the build for Win7 and the build for Win10.

JCitron:

Definitely possible.

I know all of that.

I did not know that, but it does not surprise me.

I know that; (I did not that but am not surprised) times three.

blueodessey: I know absolutely all of that already, and not one single bit is relevant to my current situation, except that I have already done it all at one time or another.

Everybody: I am sorry if I am beginning to get cross and grumpy, et al, but after five hours and multiple responses, not one person has answered the one question I have:

Will running a database index right now, with the indices in a unknown state due to an unscheduled reboot while the programs were running with an open Content Manager window but otherwise idle, be more likely to make things better or to make them worse?
Since no-one has been able to answer this one question, I will run the blasted reindexing operation and hope for the best. Not to worry, I will make a backup copy of both databases first. Between running the backup and running the "repair" operation, this is likely to take hours. Hours that I had been hoping to work on coding some projects for Trainz but will not be able to, because the files that need editing will be busy with this attempted repair job.

I`m sorry that my grumpiness is showing, but I have been growing steadily more frustrated for several hours, and trying to suppress it in my writings. There should be no surprise that it is beginning to leak through despite my best efforts.

Edit: I will be going OFFLINE during the backup operation. I will check back in when it has finished. One last chance to answer my question.

Sorry I didn't answer this:

My answer generally speaking, I had your problems and several of my own with Trainz freezing up from too many faulty Assets. And probably a couple of times where I had a download for update Patches and some for large downloads that went to heck. Causing me to do a Reboot.

Using the DBR in extended mode is supposed help correct this problem. However there may be a lot of Errors shown in the end result.

Only once in the 10 yrs I have had Trainz, did I ever have to fresh install, and that was because I got a new Laptop and wanted to start fresh.

I said that I`d be back when I finished running that back-up.

I just didn`t expect it to take this long.

First I tried a simple file-copy back-up, but the computer told me that I didn`t have enough disk space.

I tried again, only this time I tried to copy them into a zip file "folder". It took HOURS. Just before it would have finally finished, a "wrote error; your disk is probably full" type of dialog popped up.

I found some stuff to delete and tried again.

And again.

And again.

I don`t remember how many times I tried, not knowing until almost finished if it would fail again.

It finally worked.

I still don`t have an answer to my question, not exactly, but I did get a reply.

If that remains the case after I look around to see what I`ve been missing, well, attempted database repair time.

Well, both database repair jobs went smoothly. Every single error "unable to download precache..." and most of the warnings "found in multiple locations" were expected. The only unexpected warnings were "not validating because locally obsolete".

Couldn`t anyone have told me that I shouldn`t worry and go ahead with the repair? It would have saved ne a few days of unwarranted concern.

It looks like the saga of my upgrade from the Win7 version of Trainz22 to the Win10 version of Trainz22 is over. I will continue to monitor this thread, but I will not post here again save in reply to someone else`s post (unless the repair success is illusionary). Thank you for all the help and entertainment. It`s been informative and entertaining, as well as occasionally frustrating. Yeah. (y)

Back