Technical Issue With Trainz

mp202

I tried importing my content back into CMP from my "Local" folder. Due to the massive size of this folder, I decided to run it overnight. In the morning I got 3 error messages saying that I need to free up disk space as my hard drive became full. I just finally realized that in order to import content from the local folder, Trainz made a temporary folder somewhere in my program files that needs to be deleted as it is taking up the remainder of my disk space. Can anyone tell me where to find this and/or guide me through the steps to get rid of it? Thanks!

The 'temp' folder you refer to is the actual Userdata folder for that installation of Trainz, so no that cannot be deleted without having to import it all over again.

Shane

Hmmm how can I solve the problem? I figured in order to prevent itself from messing up the original local folder, it made a copy of itself, which is what i determined the cause of the problem is that it didn't delete itself.

Blake,

Well, depending upon how large your local folder is, you coul try copying all of the contents to removable media: USB, CD, CDRW, &c, and deleting it from your hard drive. That should free up some space.

ns

Blake,

Well, depending upon how large your local folder is, you coul try copying all of the contents to removable media: USB, CD, CDRW, &c, and deleting it from your hard drive. That should free up some space.

ns

The thing is, I do not have any external storage device that can contain over 100 GB of content. Secondly, I am trying to delete the temporary folder Trainz created. The original Local folder is what contained 100 plus GB of stuff, so when Trainz duplicated the folder, it added another 100 plus GB to my hard drive. My mission is to find the temporary local folder and delete it.

Blake,

Tow things to try:

1) just before going to bed, set your machine to do a search for all files and folders modified on the day you attempted to do the backup, and perhaps a day or three before and after;

2) possibly in conjunction with item 1, search for all folders larger than 80 GB.

I'd expect that between one or both of these, you'll find the folder you're looking for, especially if you remember to set the option to search hidden files.

ns

I think I have found an answer to my problems. Because I technically re-installed my content, it was saved in the backup folders. One contained over 20 Gb of stuff. Would it be completely safe to delete some of the subfolders in the backup folder?

I think I have found an answer to my problems. Because I technically re-installed my content, it was saved in the backup folders. One contained over 20 Gb of stuff. Would it be completely safe to delete some of the subfolders in the backup folder?

If nothings missing from your install then yes. I just keep the one backup folder.

Your assets are kept in the local and original folders. You need both folders.

Last edited:
Blake,

Delete some of the downloaded DEM files from the USGS if you have any. These are quite huge when they're expanded. You can also compress old routes too if you're not using them any more into CDPs or even Zip files. I'm thinking about such things as the ones created by TransDEM if you have been using that recently and no longer need them for now.

John

Back