T:ANE vs. upgrading my PC

Hi! :)

I would like to ask some help from a computer expert. :)
Regarding T:ANE specs, I need some upgrade in my hardware....
At this point, I wouldn't like to buy a brand new PC, because AMD new products will be released somwhere in the summer, and I am waiting for them...

My current specs:
- Asus P7P55DE-LX motherboard
- Intel Core i5-750 processor (4 cores)
- 4Gb Memory (kit of 2x2Gb, dual channel mode)
- Gigabyte Nvidia 8800GTS Vga card. (not Dx11 compatible).
- Corsair 650W power supply
- Win7 Home Premium x64

My goal is to enjoy T:ANE visuals in very high/full details on 1920x180 resolution.
I am considering to buy ATI R9 270X 4Gb Vga (it is a must have), and 16Gb (kit of 2x8Gb) of Ram.

Does anybody have experience (or advice, suggestion) that am I on the right path, or... I am not familiar with these things, I am not a hardware genius. :p

Thanks for advance,

Krisz

The back of envelope assessment would be the i5 is fine, on the graphics side at the moment I'd be tempted more by the nVidia Maxwell cards so GTX 750 Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, or the GTX 980.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html look at the GPU Hierarchy Chart for the comparison. I think the GTX 970 is the sweet spot price performance wise. AMD are reputed to be bringing out some new cards this year if you care to hang on but replacing your existing nVidia card with another saves possible problems on the drivers. The Maxwell cards are very efficient which saves problems on the power supply, means the machines are cooler and run quieter.

I assume you have 64 bit widows if not you'll need to install it to take advantage of more than 4 gigs of memory, but 16 should be fine, 8 might be enough but 16 should be safe. I'd use www.crucial.com and their tool for picking out the right memory.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John

Hi John! :)

Thanks for your help! Yes, my operating system is a 64bit Win 7, so that is not problem for me.
Yes, I was thinking about buying a higher category VGA card like GTX970, but this PC will be an "office-PC" when I will buy my new macine somewhere in the summer, so (at this point) it is unnecessary to spend a dozens of Euros on VGA cards. But - GTX 750 Ti/960 - sounds good :p

Thanks for the link! :)

Krisz

Just check the GPU Hierarchy Chart and see how much difference there is. You need three or more levels to see much difference.

Cheerio John

Just checked the Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy and I'm surprised to discover my five year old HD 5870 has only sunk to 9th level down. It's proved to be very 'future proof'!

Paul

OOPS SORRY PLEASE DELETE.

Sorry about that, I pressed new thread, but somehow my post got posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Back