Subways, Underground, Tram or anything else Urban shots!

As threatened: and overview shot.

This shot shows how much I keep the performance sliders turned down, and also how far from completion this really is. Below is the harbour, and above is the main railway station. I'm in the process of filling out the background with an inordinate number of quarter-villas.

In this shot, you can see how the historic high street meets the new flats, with the old factories and brewery nestling in the older terraces.

Hawthorn%20Overview.JPG

When I've finished the Brewery area (next task), I'll post a screenshot, and the same for the harbour area (looking a few weeks down the line). If anyone's looking for a technique to avoid the effect where the water masks a sea wall, model the coast at low tide - many harbours in British towns have never been fitted with a deep-draft jetty for use at low tide, so the boats are just beached until the water comes back.

For example, Ilfracombe Harbour - note this does have a deep-jetty, at the front right of the picture, but the inner section behind the sea wall does give you the idea I'm trying to recreate.

If someone has any pictures of Clovelly, or Porlock Weir [sp?], then these are better examples. My layout will not include any deep water facilities.
Summer%20Holiday%20103.jpg

Two more shots around the brewery area, to prove I'm not letting this one lie and I am actually doing something :eek: (I was just adding another station to the main railway an hour ago, but that's far from finished).

Close-up of the brewery and warehouses (note how lazy BidMod is still putting off the hardest part - texturing the ground):
brewery1.JPG

Shot towards the terrace from the warehouses (I bet this view is beginning to get wearing for some):
brewery2.JPG

Violetz,
I've been studying Paul's exquisite screenshots, and I think that I might be able to help you a bit.

The roads on his last shot are part of Andi06's street kit, as are the traffic lights, which allow you to interface the trams and road traffic. More on his page here:http://www.ajsmith.nildram.co.uk/trs/ EDIT: direct link here: http://www.ajsmith.nildram.co.uk/trs/street01.shtml

He's also used the setted splines by Brook, which you can see clearer in my own shots of the historic high street, and I imagine he's also used his own road-products.

Perhaps for the best idea of what he's done, you should download Westhaven Trams, which is a brilliant layout :D, but a rather large download :confused:. There's a thread linking to all the miscellaneous bits here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=3772. I've also skinned some trams for it, but there's currently no session for them.

Regards,
BidMod.

@Violetz - Bidmod has hit the nail on the head. In addition I have used road items by engfer, mgreen48 and mcortes, all from the DLS. I have added a heightrange line to the config file of the mgreen48 junctions to allow them to be lowered by 0.3 - this stops them floating in mid-air...

Westhaven is a fair demonstration of what can be done, but it is by no means the limit of what can be achieved - my new Bridgehampton route pushes the boundaries far more...

And one more while I'm here...

Screen_066.jpg

The start of the new underground section, avoiding the tram jams in Flinders Square :eek:

Hi,
paulzmay;171509I have added a heightrange line to the config file of the mgreen48 junctions to allow them to be lowered by 0.3 - this stops them floating in mid-air...[/quote said:
Another way of creating junctions is to use the handed splines - I'll show you, using a skewed juntion:

Jct1.JPG
Firstly, apply the "straighten track" tool to the roadways at the edge of the junction.

Jct2.JPG
Then start to add the handed splines between each end section.

Jct3.JPG
Finally, add extra spline points if necessary to hide any small gaps in the middle, and also smooth the corners.

Hope that helps someone,
BidMod.

Excuse my ignorrance but how exactly do you add the wording in the config table. I would love to be able to sink the intersections!

@Bolivar - add the line
Code:
height-range						-500,500
to the config.txt file. 500 can be whatever you like. This also works well for many industries and other items...

@BidMod - that's a useful additional method - I find it handy for making roundabouts. I tend to get a flicker where the splines overlap, so I raise or lower some spline points by a tiny fraction (0.01 or so). This reduces the problem substantially...

Introducing the All new City Rail Multiplayer layout. With runs underground (subway), above ground (elevated), on the ground (commuter and intercity), and in the streets (streetcar)

trainz2007-09-2114-57-34-92.jpg

Yard work
trainz2007-09-2114-55-39-21.jpg

iPortals idea. was going to be used for connection to differnt parts of the map, now being removed.
trainz2007-09-2114-54-48-21.jpg

The subway comming above ground to cross the river.

this layout is still WAY under construction. It will be based off Chicago-style operations (and equiptment). most names are still pending.

peter

Trolleybuses in London Suburbs

Some of shoves's recent shops and buildings have joined some of tafweb's on my test track board.

Regards, Alan

Hi,

Another way of creating junctions is to use the handed splines - I'll show you, using a skewed juntion:

Jct1.JPG
Firstly, apply the "straighten track" tool to the roadways at the edge of the junction.

Jct2.JPG
Then start to add the handed splines between each end section.

Jct3.JPG
Finally, add extra spline points if necessary to hide any small gaps in the middle, and also smooth the corners.

Hope that helps someone,
BidMod.

nice trick, I will have to remember that one :D

Introducing the All new City Rail Multiplayer layout. With runs underground (subway), above ground (elevated), on the ground (commuter and intercity), and in the streets (streetcar)

trainz2007-09-2114-57-34-92.jpg

Yard work
trainz2007-09-2114-55-39-21.jpg

iPortals idea. was going to be used for connection to differnt parts of the map, now being removed.
trainz2007-09-2114-54-48-21.jpg

The subway comming above ground to cross the river.

this layout is still WAY under construction. It will be based off Chicago-style operations (and equiptment). most names are still pending.

peter

nice:wave:

I am going to tell you the truth ... End line of the number 5 trainz, all there is are warehouses and a crime effect community ... I feel so safe, since I have seen people get shot at that station, but in the trainz world we can give that part of Dyre Ave a lovely scenery .... Dyre Ave, 5 line!! Just a little bit of its' history ...

On your screenies, great job!!! :)

Ishie

Back