storm in the south

K4driver

gone from this chaos/ruin
Keep those in the southern USA in your thoughts. We more than likely have trainz users from that part of the country. For those who do not know, a MASSIVE tornado (1.5 miles wide) Tornado ripped apart the south, wiping Tuscaloosa Alabama off the map, countless others as well, and destroying north Birmingham Alabama as well, with 150 tornadoes in 24 hours. The death toll is currently at 202, but expected to rise, So I am asking you to keep them in your thoughts.

I have often wondered about these terrible and very regular turbulences in America. Isn't it made a wee bit worsde because houses unlike here tend to be wood thus being more flimsy making the situation worse for losing homes?

I have often wondered about these terrible and very regular turbulences in America. Isn't it made a wee bit worsde because houses unlike here tend to be wood thus being more flimsy making the situation worse for losing homes?

Yes, wooden homes can be more likely to be blown down by tornado's.

But, even brick homes can be damaged....roofs blown off, trees falling into them.

The storms that occurred are being rated as EF4 and EF5....with winds in excess of 175 to 200 mph or more.

Looking at the news, many masonry home suffered as much damage as wooden reinforced home. A small advantage to wooden reinforced homes is that they tend to be a bit more flexible, and masonry are not.

The most violent part of these storms was the debris picked up by the tornado's and slammed into existing structures. Vehicles picked up by the storms were hurled in homes, wood and masonry, destroying both types.

Regards,

yes, unfortunatly we americans (even with all the rules here) still try to find the cheapest way to do things. so yes. almost every new house is made out of some sort of wood product. so sorry to here of this :'( and i hope everyone makes it out alive

Remember, the storms were strong enough to create "Debris balls". debris that a tornado with strong enough up drafts had managed to suck the debris up far enough to be observed on radar....not very common...It was raining Tuscaloosa in Birmingham when the twister was about 20 miles away....

I live in that area, northeast of Atlanta. Fortunately, the area where I live has, as long as I've lived here, been lucky enough not to be in the path of such storms.

The terrible news continues...

The official death toll as of May 1, 2011 (11 AM...EDT) stands at 342.

News networks are saying that over 600 people are still missing.

Some of the tornado's have been rated as EF5.... winds over 205 MPH.

We can only hope that no one in the Trainz Community is among the casualties or missing.

Continue to offer you thoughts, prayers and condolences to those impacted by these storms.

Sadly,

this is terrible,I wish that most of the areas affected by this disaster a hopeful recovery!:(

Last edited:
Back