Seeking Information About Trainz Binary File Formats

ModelerMJ

RubyTMIX, Basemapz
I am interested in exploring an idea that I have for a utility program that will work with Trainz 12 routes, and am wondering how I might obtain information about reading and writing the binary files that are produced/used by Surveyor. This could be information about the raw file structure itself, so that I can write my own I/O routines; or an API for a Trainz DLL that provides access to the contents of the files.

From reading various posts I understand that this is proprietary information, and would expect to sign a non-disclosure agreement and discuss the nature of my idea with Auran personnel.

Other posts also seem to indicate that there is no 'official' documentation for the files and/or an API. If this is in fact the case, I will VOLUNTEER to assist in the task of creating and/or updating formal documentation as may be required. I have 30 years of experience as a software & systems engineer and technical writer, and can provide further information about my background on request.

If anyone can point me at the right person(s) to ask about this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. Moderator(s), if I have posted this in the wrong place, I will appreciate you moving it to the correct location.

Last edited:
Drop the question into helpdesk and expert to wait a few months. They have done something before when working with others but money sets the priorities.

Cheerio John

Drop the question into helpdesk and expert to wait a few months. They have done something before when working with others but money sets the priorities.

Cheerio John

Good suggestion - I've submitted a request.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has anything to add, I'll be glad to take whatever information I can get.

Thanks again.

08-Jul-11 EDIT/UPDATE: I've already received a personal acknowledgement (in addition to the automated response). I'd say that was excellent response time.

Last edited:
There are some people here that have reverse-engineered various files - PEV (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~villaump/pevsoft.htm) and Geophil (http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm) are two that come to mind. They may / may not be willing or able to assist.

Curtis

Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to think about it and consider my options a bit more before I pursue it any further. It's not like I can't already do what I want -- it just takes something like 7 tools to get from A to B, that's all.

Not to bring up the "R word", but a certain other simulator makes access to the route data fairly easy - they have an XML exchange mechanism built-in, and can also accept spline point data from good old CSV files.

Back